Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old June 1, 2019   #1
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Default Miracle Grow Liquafeed Formulations

Finally a break in the rain here in the midwest. Tomatoes are in with granular Tomato Tone clone fertilizer, but with all the rain it is most likely washed away. Wishing there was a liquid fertilizer with the convenience of Liquafeed and the quality of a product such as Dr Earth, TT, etc but nothing yet. Hooking up a siphon isn't an option right now either. There is another thread on the Workbench to make the Liquafeed bottles re-useable, and I'll save my bottles for someone if wanted.

I was surprised to see both the Tomato and Bloom formulations at Walmart (2 packs are $8.46) back after being discontinued for a year or two. The All Purpose is $11.48 for a 4 pack.

The ingredient list showed very minor differences between the three products. The Tomato formula had micronutrients, but no mention of the quantity. Calcium was not listed in any Liquafeed formulation. Though it may be in the soil, Calcium is added to granular fertilizers for vegetables.

If anyone still has an old bottle of the Tomato and Vegetable Liquafeed, I would be interested to see if the product has been changed during its absence. Would you purchase this over the All Purpose?

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2021   #2
D.J. Wolf
Tomatovillian™

Default Way late

Ok, I know this is way late of a response, and may be even later as I'm still waiting for my first post to be approved...but anyway.

If my local Walmart carried it, I would defiantly give the MG Tomato formula liquid feed a try. That said, I've had excellent luck using the generic "all plant" formula liquid feed for tomatoes, and everything else, the past few years.

I remember even back in the 80's my mom would faithfully mix and put MG on her tomatoes with great results. I didn't garden at all for years, but 3 years ago I managed to get a few tomatoes an a few other things in and used the liquid feed for the first time and had great results. Last year I used it on my entire garden, and had pretty good results considering it was a rough year to grow things here.

A few things I like to make sure of with the liquid feed though. I always make sure and spray it at the bottom of the plants only (where i can anyway). I apply weekly, but perhaps not as strong as what the label suggests.

Ideally, I'd like to get the setup that allows you to apply right though your soaker hoses, as this would save me a lot of time and energy, and also would apply it right at the roots of the plants where it does the most good!
D.J. Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote