Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 1, 2011   #16
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Oh sounds like fun, count me in too!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #17
Ispahan
Tomatovillian™

This sounds like fun. Count me in! :-)
Ispahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #18
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Heather, once again I will not be participating and I post just to give you a sigh of relief and a smile.

Was it the first time out that you were madly trying to locate seeds and we communicated about that? Your memory is better than mine, I'm sure, b'c you're younger than I am.

And you sure get around, meaning, I see you've posted at every single place that I visit and sometimes post. At the one place there's still a big fat zero, but they don't know what fun they're missing.

And I'm glad that here folks are posting their reposnses b'c just recently I went back to offer seeds for two varieties that someone was asking for in the wanted Seed exchange Forum only to find that with no reponses there was a note saying the seeds had been found. Argghhhhhh!

So kudos to you for taking this on again and good fortune to those who are participating.
Old September 1, 2011   #19
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi Carolyn,

Nice to hear from you. You're memory is definitely better than mine at this point. Can't recall what seeds I may have been looking for.

We're getting a great response, and on every forum. Lot's of people have just emailed me privately to sign up, so it's hard to tell from some forums where or not anyone is participating yet. I've gotta take a few minutes and post some updates at a couple of the forums to get some more buzz going

It's great to see that we have a number of new participants that haven't joined us previously, and of course lots of dedicated people that are joining us again this year. You're definitely right...those not joining in don't know the fun we're missing out on.

I still have a few seed orders to place to prep for this swap. I always try to find a new and interesting varieties each year and am having trouble making decisions. Any suggestions? LOL

I'm determined....one of these days I'm going to convince you to join our swap Carolyn. I know that's not your thing, but I'm determined, so just have to throw it out there

Hope you are doing well and hoping your tomato crop behaved for you this year. I seem to have had nothing but hail and rain, but so far, managing to get a few.

Take care....Heather
hmacdona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #20
delltraveller
Tomatovillian™

Count me in, too.
delltraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #21
Brightmeadow
Tomatovillian™

Please include me as well. It was so much fun getting all the different varieties last time and I enjoyed growing them.

Brightmeadow
Brightmeadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #22
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

Hi folks,

Over the years a few people have asked me if there are paticular seeds that people are asking for, so I finally got my act together last year and kept a list of a few of the most sought after and the well....not so sought after varieties. I'm not sure if this list will help anyone with decision making this year, but just in case. Wish list items seem to vary slightly every year, but this may be an indicator of some of the ones that we could have used more of last year Here goes...

POPULAR TOMATOES - mortgage lifter bicolor, earl's faux, neves azorean red, barlow jap, gary o-sena, sungold F1, momotaro F1, omar's lebanese, applause, virginia sweets, fordhook first, summer cider, stump of the world, taylor lacey leaf, green zebra cherry, tim's black ruffles, kimberley, black and brown boar, russian #117, early varieties, varieties that do well in cool climate, varieties that do well in hot dry climates.

POPULAR PEPPERS - trinidad scorpion, red savina, biker billy f1, rocoto, manzano, tobago seasoning, poblano, orange sun, sweets - non bells, early peppers, rare varieties (of course
on the flip side....there are a few seeds that we tend to get way too much of and are typically not listed at all on wish lists. I've done my best to hold some of these back and replace with variety from my commercial purchases, but thought it might be best to give a heads up that these tend to come in on a high volume basis. Here goes:

TOMATOES WE GET TOO MANY OF - Green zebra, Large red cherry, Small red cherry, Rutgers, Regular beefsteak, Marglobe, Brandywine regular, yellow pear, regular roma

PEPPERS WE GET TOO MANY OF - Jalapeno regular, Cayenne Red (any kind of red hot- large or small), California wonder, Habanero orange, Hot cherry, hungarian hot wax

Having said this, it is not my intention to restrict what you send in. There will be participants that do not have what you send in as I fully expect a large number of people from around the world. I purposely stock up on a good variety to prepare for this swap, so I can mix things up if needed. We'll be more than happy to accept what you have in your stash for swapping.

If you're in the position of trying to decide what to send in or what commercial seeds to buy to split up and send in, my hope is these lists may be helpful to you.

I'm still getting caught up on new signups that came in while I was at work today....wow! the numbers are getting bigger and bigger...and fast. I love it !!!!

Last edited by hmacdona; September 2, 2011 at 11:00 AM.
Old September 1, 2011   #23
austinnhanasmom
Tomatovillian™

Totally helps with my submission!!

Thanks for the list.

I do not think a host should feel obligated to purchase seeds, so a list of what not to send is a great idea!!

I'll send extras for someone who wants to join the swap but has only the common varieties.
austinnhanasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1, 2011   #24
POAJoan
Tomatovillian™

Really enjoyed last year's swap, count me in as it was something like Christmas to get all the varieties that were new to me. Joan
POAJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #25
hmacdona
Tomatovillian™

So glad you can join us PoaJoan.

Wanted to touch base with everyone on wish lists. I really do encourage you to put together a wish list of tomato and/or pepper seeds that you'd be interested in getting. Some people hesitate because they think they're adding to my workload. You're not. That's really the main jest of this swap is to send you back seeds you don't already have. There are of course no guarantees, but taking a few minutes to put together a wish list is well worth your while.

Alternatively, there are folks who don't have a wish list, but they have an inventory of what they already have. They're just hoping to get things that are not already in their stash. In those cases, I would encourage you to send me the list of what you already have for seeds and I'll use that as a basis to come up with some nice surprises for you.

Wish lists and "already have" lists can be sent in the same envelope as your seeds. Or if it's easier for you, you could always send it to me by email attachment. I'm not sure if you can send attachments via the tville messaging system, but you will find my personal email address in the welcome letter that's sent to you once you sign up.

Hope this helps to clarify if anyone was wondering.

I know there's some lurkers out there...come on..whatya waiting for. Come join our fun
Old September 2, 2011   #26
hardwaterbob
Tomatovillian™

Default IMIN

I have some cold weather and very productive varieties. Let me know which two or three from my list that you would like. I will send this to you via pm.

Thanks

Bob
hardwaterbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #27
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Sign me up, again.

Gary
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #28
stormymater
Tomatovillian™

if I am not too late - sign me up! TY!
stormymater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #29
dipchip2000
Tomatovillian™

OK lets do it
dont know why,, lets do it anyway

ron
dipchip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2, 2011   #30
goodthyme
Tomatovillian™

Please count me in and thanks for doing this!

Pat
goodthyme is offline   Reply With Quote