Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 16, 2009   #16
where_with_all
Tomatovillian™

My guess is that those that say they are getting good production out of BWS actually have a different strain than the others who don't get good production.

I think there is a lot of mix ups in the varieties from various seed sources.
Old September 17, 2009   #17
BigdaddyJ
Tomatovillian™

My BWS seeds are from Johnny's and I've grown these for many years. I would only trust Johnny's for correct BWS seed versus other seed sellers. I believe Craig sent them the Sudduth seeds they have been selling for about 10 years now. I've been ordering from Johnny's 19 years now without ever a mix-up and I can't say that about many of the other popular seed sellers folks mention here over and over.
Old September 18, 2009   #18
Wi-sunflower
Tomatovillian™

I will chime in to say that when I first tried BWS last year, it out produced my plain old BW by a long shot. BW has never been very productive for me.

I have to add something about increasing production tho. I read this in a book several years ago, so I may be off on my numbers. I think it was a book on greenhouse / hydroponic tomatoes too. I'll try to find the book when I have some time. (when is that, LOL )

They said that the "flower buds" are set in the growing point of the tiny plant by the 3rd set of leaves. You can encourage more by dropping the nite temps at that point. Most greenhouses keep the temps too high for optimum flower development. At least that's what I think they said.

I know that my greenhouse is a homemade contraption heated with a wood water stove. The plants have to be able to survive extremes way out of line from what a commercial opperation keeps it's controls at. Sometimes too hot, often too cold at nite. They grow somewhat slower, but hardier. I have plant customers come back year after year saying that my plants produces much better than others they bought elsewhere.

I don't know if I'm accidentally producing more optimum conditions for good production or that the plants are just hardier. I just know that my plants aren't "babied".

Carol
Wi-sunflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009   #19
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Grew BWS in 07 and had good production and beautiful fruit. Seeds from Victory whom is also getting varieties from Craig. Ami
Old September 18, 2009   #20
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

Personally I've never tried BW Sudduth simply because of it's reportedly poor yields. How bad are we talking??? 3---4? ... 6---8 fruits per season??
cottonpicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009   #21
stevenkh1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonpicker View Post
Personally I've never tried BW Sudduth simply because of it's reportedly poor yields. How bad are we talking??? 3---4? ... 6---8 fruits per season??

I'm only getting 3-4 per plant. Fruits are very large tho. Would I grow again? Absolutely! But I'll be devoting more garden space to BW Suddeth by reducing my Amish Paste plants (I've not grown these before either...and good grief, I've been picking tomatoes off every Amish Paste plant on a DAILY basis!).
stevenkh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009   #22
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Never grown BWS...its like saying you are a basketball fan, but never bothered to watch Michael Jordan.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18, 2009   #23
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

recruitrerg.... thanks for your opinion.
Old September 19, 2009   #24
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Here we are talking about BWS and I almost forgot about the RL variant I grew a few years back that popped up in one of our posters garden (bigchief). He distributed seed to a few lucky participants of which I was one. The next year I planted the seed and ended up with RL and PL plants. Grew out the RL and production and fruit size were above average but the taste wasn't up to my expectations. Last year I planted the seeds I had left from bigchief and was lucky enough to get a PL and grew it out last year. By this time we had named this RL variant "Big Chief". The production and size were again up there and the flavor was better than it's RL brother.
Another participant in the initial grow out PV (PapaVic), went with the PL's from the get go and on the F3 growout got what he considered the best tomato he ever ate bar none. So if anybody in this thread would like to give this Big Chief a try I can send you seed I saved from the initial RL growout and you can grow either the PL or RL that it throws out. Here's the thread that started it all. Ami

http://www.tomatoville.com/showthrea...ight=Big+Chief
Old October 5, 2009   #25
camochef
Tomatovillian™

I've grown all the Brandywines (OP), for a few years. While BW-Sudduths taste good, they have never produced all that well, even on a good year. I would suggest trying Brandywine -Glick's which produces and tastes better, or Cowlick Brandywine, which has out produced everything in my gardens for years now and tastes even better than the other BW's.
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #26
recruiterg
Tomatovillian™

Camo,

What is your source for the two BWs (Glick's and/or Cowlick) you mentioned? I have a trade offer out there for Cowlick BW, but have not found anyone who has that particular seed out there on Tomatoville.
recruiterg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2009   #27
cottonpicker
Tomatovillian™

recruiterg.... I'd be glad to send you some Cowlick's Brandywine seeds. I saved them from fruit I grew using camochef's seeds (he's the original seed-saver for this strain of BW).
Larry Davis
Old October 5, 2009   #28
Patapsco Mike
Tomatovillian™

BWS has been my second-most productive tomato for the last two seasons. I am not a counter, but there were several weeks in early summer where I was picking 1-3 fruits a day from each of my two plants. They set so many fruits that I heavily thinned them. This I somewhat regretted, as during the hottest part of the summer they quit setting for almost a month. By the time they started producing again it was too late for the plant to do much. I finally gave up and pulled my last one a few days ago.

I did discover this year that if allowed to sprawl, I wasn't able to pick a single tomato. Mine need to be up off the ground to do anything.

These are without question my favorite tasting tomatoes. I have grown a lot of different kinds, and tasted more, and nothing else is quite like it.
Patapsco Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009   #29
camochef
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapsco Mike View Post
BWS has been my second-most productive tomato for the last two seasons. I am not a counter, but there were several weeks in early summer where I was picking 1-3 fruits a day from each of my two plants. They set so many fruits that I heavily thinned them. This I somewhat regretted, as during the hottest part of the summer they quit setting for almost a month. By the time they started producing again it was too late for the plant to do much. I finally gave up and pulled my last one a few days ago.

I did discover this year that if allowed to sprawl, I wasn't able to pick a single tomato. Mine need to be up off the ground to do anything.

These are without question my favorite tasting tomatoes. I have grown a lot of different kinds, and tasted more, and nothing else is quite like it.
Mike,
What was your most productive?

I grow all my tomatoes in cages and have found over the years that shaking the cages twice a day helps to pollinate the larger blossoms found on Brandywines. Of course weather has to co-operate also. Too hot or too cold and the blossoms will still fall off, pollinated or not.
Red Brandywines are totally different than the other Pink Brandywines and have always been much more productive (although smaller in size). They are also a regular-leafed plant verses the potato-leafed pinks.
While many rank Sudduth's as the #1 Pink Brandywine, I feel Glick's Brandywine is a better producer and tastes better too. Cowlick's Brandywine surpasses Glick's!
Camo
camochef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7, 2009   #30
icelord
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I will chime in to say that when I first tried BWS last year, it out produced my plain old BW by a long shot. BW has never been very productive for me.

I have to add something about increasing production tho. I read this in a book several years ago, so I may be off on my numbers. I think it was a book on greenhouse / hydroponic tomatoes too. I'll try to find the book when I have some time. (when is that, LOL )

They said that the "flower buds" are set in the growing point of the tiny plant by the 3rd set of leaves. You can encourage more by dropping the nite temps at that point. Most greenhouses keep the temps too high for optimum flower development. At least that's what I think they said.

I know that my greenhouse is a homemade contraption heated with a wood water stove. The plants have to be able to survive extremes way out of line from what a commercial opperation keeps it's controls at. Sometimes too hot, often too cold at nite. They grow somewhat slower, but hardier. I have plant customers come back year after year saying that my plants produces much better than others they bought elsewhere.

I don't know if I'm accidentally producing more optimum conditions for good production or that the plants are just hardier. I just know that my plants aren't "babied".

Carol
Carol, I too have a homade greenhouse and I am very interested in your heating system,please show setup!! As far as the Sudduths strain, You will not get high production out of it, its just not in the makeup, You may get a couple more by using a bloosom set hormone but it does not make a huge difference.

Dean
icelord is offline   Reply With Quote