Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 27, 2017   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default Malnutrition?

I need some help identifying this problem. All the plants in my greenhouse are in containers with the same mix. This (Joe's Pink Oxheart) is the only one with these symptoms.
I'd be grateful for advice,
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_1547.JPG (59.7 KB, 107 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1548.JPG (56.2 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_1549.JPG (52.6 KB, 105 views)
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #2
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

The one variety that displayed like that last year was Cosmonaut Volkov and I took the puckering on the leaves to be mag deficiency. Most noticeable in the oldest growth, but still vaguely visible on higher leaf sets. These plants carried heavy foliage were the first to come under a fruit load, I took it as a bellwether and resumed full strength nutrient levels on all plants after having backed off during a hot spell fearing evaporation was increasing fertilizer build-up.

I'm not sure my diagnosis was right, but the plants grew through it and got healthier, going on to be excellent producers.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #3
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Since we can't see the underside of the leaves from here, look for small blisters along some of the veins which would indicate Edema. Since some varieties are more susceptible to Edema than others and it's more common in plants grown indoors, that would be my first suspect.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #4
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Shaw View Post
The one variety that displayed like that last year was Cosmonaut Volkov and I took the puckering on the leaves to be mag deficiency. Most noticeable in the oldest growth, but still vaguely visible on higher leaf sets. These plants carried heavy foliage were the first to come under a fruit load, I took it as a bellwether and resumed full strength nutrient levels on all plants after having backed off during a hot spell fearing evaporation was increasing fertilizer build-up.

I'm not sure my diagnosis was right, but the plants grew through it and got healthier, going on to be excellent producers.
My first thought was mag deficiency because of the puckering, but this is showing mostly on higher leaf sets.

Steve
Old May 27, 2017   #5
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayR View Post
Since we can't see the underside of the leaves from here, look for small blisters along some of the veins which would indicate Edema. Since some varieties are more susceptible to Edema than others and it's more common in plants grown indoors, that would be my first suspect.
I just checked. There are no blisters.

Steve
Old May 27, 2017   #6
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Not sure.....maybe remove the few leaves and see if any more develops.
Old May 27, 2017   #7
RayR
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
I just checked. There are no blisters.

Steve
OK, so there is no obvious signs of Edema and that variety is the only one exhibiting those symptoms of stress. The possibility of insect or mites you have already investigated I suppose? I can't see any obvious nutrient deficiency or excess. The rest of the plant is otherwise healthy?
If all that holds true then I would just leave it alone and see if anything else develops.
RayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2017   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

I will commiserate because starting to see leaf trouble on some of my plants which are still in beer cups on account of the bad weather now two weeks overdue for transplant.

I don't know if it is insects, physiological, cold stress or nutrient deficiency. But yellow and orange fruited varieties always seem to be the first.
So I just wanted to comment, that specific varieties can be more susceptible to any or all of the above causes.

I am going with the precautionary principle and removing leaves or parts of leaves affected, in case it is a tiny pest issue that could spread.
Fact is, those dead bits are not functional for the plant anyway, so removing it can only be a plus.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Thanks all for the tips so far. I guess this is mostly a wait and see situation. I have removed the affected leaves. The rest of the plant looks healthy.

Steve