Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for environmentally-friendly alternatives to replace synthetic chemicals and fertilizers.

Old August 15, 2018   #1
bower
Tomatovillian™

Default Neonics phaseout to 2021 in Canada.. later than I thought

I was under the impression that neonics were being phased out by 2018, but that is just a voluntary phaseout by stores that sell plants to home gardeners.

So it looks that there will continue to be widespread agricultural use until 2021.
Note the loss of bees in Canada this past winter - 50% survival. The loss rate for one beekeeper was 15% for hives in areas where no neonics were in use, 65% in neonics use areas. Sad!!!

https://globalnews.ca/news/4387557/p...ased-out-2021/
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #2
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'm bummed about this too Bower, but at least people will be able to buy their annuals/perennials from some of the big box stores without fear of killing all the bees (next year I believe). I have held off on buying plants from anyone except a local nursery that raises their own plants, but they don't have everything that I would like. I have a large flower garden which attracts tons of bees.

Linda

Last edited by Labradors2; August 15, 2018 at 09:40 AM.
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #3
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

All 4 hives of our bees made it through the winter but then all of them died in the spring. We blame it on all of the lawn spraying in our area. Almost all of our neighbors have lawn care services. We live on 4 acres but the bees can travel 2 miles in search of food so we think that they contacted poisons applied to lawns as well as the local farms close to where I live.

We have given up on keeping bees for the first time in 20 years.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2018   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

That's very sad Brownrexx .

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote