Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating beans, peas, peanuts, clover and vetch.

Old September 23, 2014   #1
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Default Drying shelled beans

I have a bumper crop of pole beans from the seed that I ordered earlier this year. I would like to dry the seed inside the pods for next year's crop, but the climate here in New England isn't going to allow for them to dry in the pods while still on the plant. If I shell the beans, can they still be dried to be used later to be planted next spring for a new crop, or even to be used in soups or stews later? (There are WAY too many to eat fresh out of the pod, even over a few weeks) I do have access to a dehydrator, but am not sure if it can used to dry the beans properly for seeding purposes.
tnpeppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #2
joseph
Tomatovillian™

If the bean pods are starting to turn tan and dehydrate a bit, and rain is expected then I'll pick them and get them under cover. Typically the front porch or the garage. I spread them out well, and stir them for a few days so that they don't mold while they finish drying. After drying I thresh and winnow.

They could be shelled and dried in a dehydrator, but that's a lot of work. I typically use temperatures under 100 F.

If the beans are picked before the pods start to dry, they may still be viable, but the beans may look funky, the skin might wrinkle, or crack, etc...
joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2014   #3
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Thank you...appreciate your help!
Old September 25, 2014   #4
nwheritagegrdn
Tomatovillian™

You can also pull the whole plant and hang it upside down in a cool, dry spot, like a shed or garage and let the beans dry in the pod that way.
Old September 25, 2014   #5
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwheritagegrdn View Post
You can also pull the whole plant and hang it upside down in a cool, dry spot, like a shed or garage and let the beans dry in the pod that way.
I do have an unheated/unfinshed area of the house I could use...with the wife's permission, of course.
Old September 25, 2014   #6
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Like Joseph, I harvest all pods which have begun to dry if rain is expected, and bring them indoors to dry them quickly. Furthermore, I prefer to pick lima bean pods before they are fully dry - even in dry sunny weather - because they tend to shatter (break open & expel their seeds) if allowed to fully dry on the plant. When it is quiet indoors, I can hear them popping as they dry.

A ceiling fan or box fan is really helpful if drying beans in the pod. It will reduce or eliminate the possibility of mold. I have a drying table set up on one end of my living room, where I lay out all fresh-picked pods... I turn on the ceiling fan just before going to bed. Between the fan & the low humidity from the HVAC, most pods will be dry enough to shell in 2-3 days. The shelled seeds are laid out in cross-stacked trays to dry further.

Alternatively, after the initial drying, the pods can be placed in open paper sacks to dry further & await shelling at a later date... like after the frost, when garden chores are winding down. This is also a good method if harvesting multiple lots of several different beans for seed, or if you just want to shell all beans of a variety at the same time. Be sure to keep the bags open, in an area that is well ventilated & not excessively warm.

If saving seed for planting, I would not recommend the use of a dehydrator unless drying wet pods... and then only long to quickly remove excess moisture. Even the low heat setting on a dehydrator can cause seed damage with prolonged exposure.

If the seed is intended for food, though, I would actually recommend the use of a dehydrator, since it will reduce spoilage. The highest heat setting might even kill weevils, but that varies between different dehydrators, and freezing for several days at 0 F. is a more reliable method.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2014   #7
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Since I think I know what that bumper crop variety is, the first indication that the pods are starting to dry is that the pink pods will have a few patches of dull purple show up. After that, in about a week, they dry to usually a mix of tan and purple. Like Jeminez (one parent), seeds can sprout inside the pods. So, after a few pods have completely dried, shell them to look for sprouting. Seeds with reverse coloration may show up. I'd like to hear if any seeds show off-coloration (mottled purple).

Mine are starting to dry, with no rain in the forecast.

Last edited by Tormato; September 26, 2014 at 12:19 PM.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2014   #8
tnpeppers
Tomatovillian™

Actually, the one you cite is just one of twenty-three 'bumper crops'. I'll check for patches of dull purple tomorrow...my weather is pretty much the same as yours.

Tags
beans , drying