Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old May 17, 2015   #1
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Default Help with my Okra

Please, I need some advice with what to do with my Okra. I got the Heavy Hitter Okra since it supposed to make 50-75 branches all at once and be a good producer. Giving my folks I feed three or 4 pods at a time doesn't give them much to work with, hence getting what I hope will be a mass producer of Okra.

My so called great idea is giving me problems. The problem I am having is I don't know what size container I will need to grow these what looks like Okra trees from pics I have seen? I have to grow in containers.

I know what I feed my regular Okra plants, but with these being such bigger plants, does anybody happen to know what I will have to feed them, how much and how often?
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #2
shule1

Okra isn't a cucurbit (a member of the cucurbitaceae family, which includes such as squash, gourds, watermelons, muskmelons, cucumbers, Kiwano, and so forth). Okra is in the Malvaceae family, or the same family as mallow, cotton and cocoa.

You could try a 5 gallon container for one plant (which works for Clemson Spineless; I don't know if it'll work for Heavy Hitter), but you might be better off with a 10-30 gallon tote (they can be pretty inexpensive at Walmart).

Last edited by shule1; February 19, 2016 at 09:31 PM.
Old February 19, 2016   #3
shule1

You might also consider Burmese okra.
Old February 19, 2016   #4
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

I guess if you started out with a good soil/potting mix in a 5-10 gallon container it would work out fine with just watering (no additional 'feeding' should be required). I never saw okra grown in containers but it should be fine given enough space.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I just dont see how you can get enough okra to amount to a hill of beans from a container.

You need around 25 plants to make it worthwhile.
When in good production this will give you about 25 or more pods a day.
Over crowding will do nothing for you they need to be at least 12 inches apart 18 would be better.

Of course my idea of heaven is vast green rolling hills of never ending okra.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19, 2016   #6
Zeedman
Tomatovillian™

Granted that I am not in prime okra territory... but I agree with Worth. I doubt that you could get more than a hand full of okra from a container, regardless of variety or climate. Those "trees" have huge root systems. One or two plants in a pot might be healthy, and may even branch somewhat... but you still won't get much from one or two plants.
Zeedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8, 2016   #7
MuddyBuckets
Tomatovillian™

Default Okra in 5 gallon bucket last season

This is Clemson Spineless in top watered bucket last season, I overcrowded the bucket but got nice production on the main plant, the others never really took off. Had about 1 okra a day for 2 months, not quite enough to justify the work and expense.

MB
Attached Images
File Type: jpg okra.jpg (85.5 KB, 54 views)
MuddyBuckets is offline   Reply With Quote