Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old May 2, 2012   #1
babice
Tomatovillian™

Default Am I wrong or is this a good price (seed starter kit)

I was browsing this company's site and came upon this seed starting kit: http://www.sunlightsupply.com/p-1444...n-station.aspx. I mean - hello - $39.95? I don't even want to tally up how much I paid this year for all the Burpee and Jiffy seed starting trays and the heat mat I pot (being a newbie I had nothing to even start from). Anyone think I'm wrong about this benig a good price? I may want to buy this for future usage.
babice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #2
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I think most of the kits are way over priced. I buy seed flats with 48 or 60 cubes for less than a $1 at agway and simply put them in a plastic container or even plastic lid that holds water! You can water from the bottom! My problem is I have 50 flats and run out of indoor room where they will get enough light even in my 2 small solar greenhouses!
Old May 2, 2012   #3
marc_groleau
Tomatovillian™

The kits are indeed way overpriced. I buy the trays at a catalog type garden /greenhouse supply for $.89 each. I think you need to buy a minimum of 15. As for the clear plastic dome, I cover the trays with plastic from home depot until the first seedlings pop up and then I don't use a covering any more.
marc_groleau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #4
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc_groleau View Post
The kits are indeed way overpriced. I buy the trays at a catalog type garden /greenhouse supply for $.89 each. I think you need to buy a minimum of 15. As for the clear plastic dome, I cover the trays with plastic from home depot until the first seedlings pop up and then I don't use a covering any more.
Oh - well color me naive. But, but - it comes with a heating pad and the cover. Is it still overpriced? (thanks for saving me btw)
Old May 2, 2012   #5
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

I have a sweat chamber in my greenhouse just by using a clear shower curtain! They are $6 at the dollar store and is very thick clear plastic that can be cut up for any type cover! I have a 12 foot insulater wall with the sliding cutains in the front of the plant boxes. You can put a small heater behind the curtain along with some 5 gallon water buckets whic get warm during the day and maintain a nice temp most of the night!
Old May 2, 2012   #6
babice
Tomatovillian™

Wow - you peeps are awesome! I need to try to show some discipline and check with you in the future before any purchases! These are great ideas and I very much appreciate you sharing them (and stopping me).
Old May 2, 2012   #7
bobberman
Tomatovillian™

Even a gallon of hot water from the tap will give off heat in a insulated area in a greenhouse for hours without getting cold too fast! a simple candle n a nsulated area will heat i a good bit for 15 hours! Just be careful of the flame! a small pump and copper tubing conneced to any hot water line and back into the hotwater tank can cirulate water to any area to heat it with little expense! I bought two small personal ceramic 200 watt heater at wal mart for $11 each last year and simply had it come on every two hours for 30minutes inside my solar greenhouse sweat chamber on very cold nights!
Old May 2, 2012   #8
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

Go to the local hydro shop.

Tray 1-2
Dome 1-2
50 cell insert tray 1-2

They will carry all your actinovate, neem, bt, nutes, pots, bags, heating mats etc
Crandrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #9
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336014076.023893.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberman View Post
I have a sweat chamber in my greenhouse just by using a clear shower curtain! They are $6 at the dollar store and is very thick clear plastic that can be cut up for any type cover! I have a 12 foot insulater wall with the sliding cutains in the front of the plant boxes. You can put a small heater behind the curtain along with some 5 gallon water buckets whic get warm during the day and maintain a nice temp most of the night!
Or spend 20 bucks on this, the self monitoring heat mat is nice and easy and will pay for itself.
To each their own.
Old May 2, 2012   #10
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Go to the local hydro shop.

Tray 1-2
Dome 1-2
50 cell insert tray 1-2

They will carry all your actinovate, neem, bt, nutes, pots, bags, heating mats etc
Oi vay (babice shakes her head) - I bought my actinovate and bunches of other stuff from Amazon and my fave nursery, etc. WELL - it's gonna take some learnin' but I'll try to change my habits. I don't even KNOW if there's a hydro shop 'round here. (But I WILL look for one!).
Old May 2, 2012   #11
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crandrew View Post
Attachment 23575

Or spend 20 bucks on this, the self monitoring heat mat is nice and easy and will pay for itself.
To each their own.
Oh yeah! I have one of these! I bought it from Burpee. I know, I know... probably coulda got it for a fraction of the price at a hydro shop or something.
Old May 2, 2012   #12
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobberman View Post
...and simply had it come on every two hours for 30minutes inside my solar greenhouse sweat chamber on very cold nights!
bobberman - how'd you do this? timer? I tried to set up a timer for my T5 light but could find the right plug (T5 light is a 3-prong and timer is a 2-prong). I do have 1 heating pad and, since I'm in Iowa, I've had to use it. And I did buy a thermometer to use with that which is supp'd to help control the temp. I was thinking that I would need more than one, though, since I'm apparently becoming obsessed with growing seeds now!
Old May 2, 2012   #13
Crandrew
Tomatovillian™

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1336014818.954727.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by babice View Post
bobberman - how'd you do this? timer? I tried to set up a timer for my T5 light but could find the right plug (T5 light is a 3-prong and timer is a 2-prong). I do have 1 heating pad and, since I'm in Iowa, I've had to use it. And I did buy a thermometer to use with that which is supp'd to help control the temp. I was thinking that I would need more than one, though, since I'm apparently becoming obsessed with growing seeds now!
I got your back it's a unit by a company called hydrofarm. It has up to 8 daily timers and has (2) 3 prong outlets. About 11 on amazon. I use it for my four tube t5 lights.
Old May 2, 2012   #14
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

So how do you drive Babice crazy? Put her in a round room and tell her there is a pack of tomato seed in the corner.

But seriously, a good heat mat is worth the price. They are not cheap.

DarJones
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2012   #15
babice
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post
So how do you drive Babice crazy? Put her in a round room and tell her there is a pack of tomato seed in the corner.