Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old April 7, 2012   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Will the runts make good?

Just curious on others experiences here. Normally I cull ruthlessly when I pot up, if there are 4 of a variety and 1 is half the size of the other three it goes into the bucket with the spent seed starting mix.

However, this year one of the somewhat rare varieties I'm growing was mostly immature seeds and had poor germination. I do finally have 2 healthy looking seedlings, but I have 3 'runts' that are 1/4 of the size of the normal ones.

Since I'll baby the two 'good ones' I have by keeping them in seperate trays so I can't lose both of them to a slip and planting them in seperate locations to protect against environmental disasters I think I'm unlikely to lose both. Still, for some reason I'm reluctant to compost these particular runts.

Have you kept your runts before and have they grown out of it and produced?
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #2
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I had "runts", from immature seeds. Fertilized them, and they took off and caught up to the rest, produced just fine.
Old April 7, 2012   #3
janezee
Tomatovillian™

That's a relief! I'm in the same situation as mark, and I was just about to pitch my reserve tray, when I found out that a couple of starts didn't make it. One damped off, and a couple just withered up. Not sure what happened there. But I have some runts in the tray, so into pots they go today.
Thanks!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #4
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

I am glad to hear that myself. The Matt's Wild Cherry are still pitifully small.

Time to give them a snack!

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #5
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Ok, I was going to give everything a dunk in a weak fish and seaweed mix next early next week, we'll see if that gives these little guys an incentive to catch up.

Thanks!
Old April 7, 2012   #6
janezee
Tomatovillian™

Thanks, mark, I'll do that as soon as they dry out.
Drat, I just watered yesterday!

j
janezee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #7
Garf
Tomatovillian™

This time I tried another experiment. This time it worked. I bottom watered some seedlings with a fertilizer tea and they are doing very well.
Garf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2012   #8
tam91
Tomatovillian™

I was told last year that the tiny seedlings that refuse to grow are likely from immature seeds. While the seed usually has enough nutrients to sustain the seedlings for a while, the immature ones lack nutrients, so fertilizing those helps.
Old April 7, 2012   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Runts do just fine.
I used to get the runt of the litters from a hog and dairy farmer and they did great too.
They just need tender loving care for a wee bit.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8, 2012   #10
Mudman
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Runts do just fine.
I used to get the runt of the litters from a hog and dairy farmer and they did great too.
They just need tender loving care for a wee bit.

Worth
And they are more tender.
Old April 9, 2012   #11
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Mark, my "runts" are starting to catch up now, even though it didn't look like they would at all, once separated out of the same cup with the stronger seedling, and given some TLC they look really good now. I'm using them as "backups" in case the bigger ones don't make it for some reason.
Old April 9, 2012   #12
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I normally don't fertilize anything until they've been potted up the second time for a week to 10 days, but I went ahead and gave these little babies a shot yesterday with a tiny dose of dilute fish emulsion with a couple of drops of seaweed extract in it. They're so tiny I don't want to try moving them at this point, I doubt they're 1/2" tall after having been up for more than a week.

I think this is the only down side to the dense planting method, in this case I'm reluctant to pull the good seedlings out and pot them up for fear of damaging the runts roots too much. But it's quickly going to become a problem as the more robust ones are putting out their first set of true leaves and will quickly overshadow the little guys if I don't move them.

I have hope though!
Old April 9, 2012   #13
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelRidin View Post
I am glad to hear that myself. The Matt's Wild Cherry are still pitifully small.

Time to give them a snack!
My Matt's are huge but the Cherokee Purples are small.
Makes me wonder if it's the seed quality? In the past, I tried Matt's from another source and it was weak, couldn't get any of my seedlings to survive long enough to plant out. Tried a new seed source and they are strong/huge. This year, using a different source of CPs and they are weaker than usual.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote