Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 9, 2012   #1
Lorri D
Tomatovillian™

Default T5 light, not getting the distance right.

I have a T5 SUN BLAZE, 4ft, 4 bulb light w/ 6500k. This is the first time I am using a T5 system.
I bought this light to grow tomato seedlings, but I am growing broccoli and chard seedlings
right now.

From what I have read, I should put my plants 2 inches from the light. But, this is proving to be
too close. My seedlings are drying out and I think they might have even gotten burned a little.
But, I don't want leggy seedlings either.

If you have experience with this type of light, please advise what distance you put between
the bottom of the light and the top of the seedlings.

I and my plants will really appreciate your help : )
Lorri D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 9, 2012   #2
Keiththibodeaux
Tomatovillian™

What about air circulation? I have read that these can get pretty hot under the bulbs without some air movement.
Keiththibodeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2012   #3
Elizabeth
Tomatovillian™

I had the same trouble with burning when I moved to T-5s because I had always followed the 2" rule with my old grow lights. Now I go about 4-6" above the plants, plus I have a little 5" desk fan that I have plugged into my timer - it runs while the lights are on. Before the seeds come up I put the light 2-3" away from the soil surface - it warms the soil quite nicely.

If I'm going to water and care for a plant it had better give me food, flowers or shade.
Elizabeth is offline   Reply With Quote