Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Old July 15, 2010   #1
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Default How not to cross tomatoes

I got lazy last year and decided to simply coat Brandywine stigmas on open flowers with Black Krim pollen. I figured that I would just not use the few self pollinated PL plants that grew out.

Well, almost all of the seedlings were PL, and now that the 10 RL plants I grew are producing fruit some are red and some are pink so it looks like almost none of the Black Krim pollen got there in time. The scary part is that the nearest pink tomatoes were a long long ways away with many yellow skinned varieties inbetween.

Lesson learned
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #2
mjc
Tomatovillian™

I'm guessing that your Brandy was the typical pink fruited kind?

The red and RL sounds like a Brandy and BK cross to me...sounds like it got the skin color and leaf from BK.

The pink and RL may be a Brandy and BK cross, too, but an odd one.

But it really is sounding like you crossed an F1 and an F1 and now have an F2...(or even one F1).

Are you 100% that both parents were pure?
mjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #3
travis
Tomatovillian™

How exactly did you transfer the pollen? Did you happen to take a Black Krim open flower and use the flower itself for a brush on the Brandywine flower?
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 15, 2010   #4
Vince
Tomatovillian™

I wouldn't read to much into it. The cross probably took. I am still trying to figure out how a cross I made with Brad's Black heart (orange skin dominant) with a Purple dwarf (colorless skin recessive). Gave all F1 fruits with colorless skin. I know the cross took since we have hearts now. Chocolate hearts even reappeared in later generations. Strange stuff. However, I don't think I had different colored F1 plants before unless one of the parents was NOT true breeding. You'll have to grow out both reds and purples to see if darks emerge in both lines.
Old July 16, 2010   #5
TZ-OH6
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the plants were stable lines, not F1. The pollen was collected by removing anthers from 10-20 flowers, drying over night, shaking pollen loose in container and coating the stigmas with it.

Bees are very active here and when I have grown out bee crosses in the past it was not uncommon to have multiple parents (cross pollen from several sources).
TZ-OH6 is offline   Reply With Quote