Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for commercial seed, plant and garden supply sources.

Old May 2, 2010   #1
meathead320
Tomatovillian™

Default Best OP varieties for growing Giant Single Blossom tomato?

Hi All,

I am curious as to what are the largest known varieties of tomatoes, for growing single blossom tomatoes.

I ask, because a lot of the "Giant" varieties, are just bred to get more mega-blooms, but are not all that big from single flowers.

2 names that keep coming up for single blossom Giants I keep seeing are Omars Lebanese, and Belmonte.

Anyone else here know of some good OP varieties for growing giant single blossom tomatoes?

Also, how they taste?

I have never heard anything bad about Omar’s (I’m hoping they taste as good as I have read), but I have seen some posts on other forums saying that Belmonte (or at least some lines of it) get even larger.

I am interested in obtaining the biggest single flower varieties I can find. Not so interested in ones that are more known for having a lot of mega-blooms.

Even if it’s a nameless OP that you have had for years I am very interested as well.
meathead320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2010   #2
phantom_white
Tomatovillian™

When I've grown Grandfather Ashlock the blooms were always much bigger compared to the rest of my plants. The fruit were always above 1 lb too...
phantom_white is offline   Reply With Quote