Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating peppers.

Old November 23, 2006   #1
darlochileman
Tomatovillian™

Default Fun Chile Growing Competition

Hi Guys,

Following on from the huge success of 'The Whippets Tail Challenge', Im delighted to announce our new fun competition for 2007, the Big Jim Challenge - Guinness World Record attempt!

The Numex 'Big Jim' is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the producer of the largest Chile pods ever grown. The current world record is a gigantic 13.5 inches!!.

I believe the pepper is very common in the states and Im sure that most of you will have grown it at least once.

Do you have a secret soil mixture which you think could propel you into the Guinness Book of Records? Do you enjoy the banter of a friendly competition? Would you like to represent your Country & take on the Brits, Finlanders, Canadians & Italians etc ?

If so why don't you enter our free competition and who knows you may be the winner of the 2007 Chileman Trophy or one of our fantastic runners up prizes.

Even if you don't win, you'll have good fun growing these big beauties which are also excellent for making Chile Ristas as well as delicious Chile Rellanos.

Remember this is a non serious event and is suppose to be a bit of fun!!

Check out www.thechileman.org for further information

Mark
Old November 23, 2006   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Mark-I live about 30 minutes from the Mesilla Valley in New Mexico where Dr. Roy Nakayama developed New Mex Big Jim-its growing all over the Valley here from Hatch, New Mexico to El Paso. Glad to see foks in other areas of the USA and other countries are enjoying these green chile. I grow Big Jim and/or Joe E. Parker every year. I dont need to grow much green chile cause in the fall, we go to Mesilla to a farmer up there and buy some bushels of chile, he roasts it and packages it for us.

There are wild chile pequin in this area also, probably other kinds too. My mother-in-law has a chile pequin that dies off and come back every year, like a weed. Very small, hot chile.

Good luck on your contest!