Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old October 18, 2017   #1
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Default MMMM Desert Islands

Another spoiler alert - this thread is for posting desert island varieties being sent in. A desert island tomato is your ONE AND ONLY favorite variety.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #2
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

The first one to come in is Glovel (19 packs). If you'd like to reserve a pack, PM me or put it on your send-in wish list.
Old October 18, 2017   #3
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
The first one to come in is Glovel (19 packs). If you'd like to reserve a pack, PM me or put it on your send-in wish list.
Those would be mine. The variety isn't listed in Tatiana's Tomatobase, so for a pictures of this mostly forgotten old variety, see Heritage Seed Market: https://heritageseedmarket.com/index...roduct/glovel/
and Victory Seeds, the source of my original seeds: http://www.victoryseeds.com/tomato_glovel.html

Glovel was my favorite pink this year (edging out Eva Purple Ball), and quickly became my favorite tomato to date. Glovel tasted great -- bright, full-flavored, both sweet and tangy, but not sour. Though the fruit tend to photograph pale red, they are a deep pink color. Mine were relatively consistent in size, and showed no signs of BER and almost no cracking or sunscald. The fruit keeps well for a few days after ripening, but isn't thick-skinned or overly firm. The plant is robust with fairly dense foliage and a sprawling but indeterminate habit. Glovel is a heavy feeder, but it's also a good producer. I'll never be without it in coming years. (It also made the best BLT ever... I actually mail-ordered Duke's mayonnaise on the recommendation of other Tomatovillians; it's a perfect pairing!)

FYI - Lots of bees in my neck of the woods, so I only save seeds from bagged/tagged blossoms, and ferment them.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #4
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Another spoiler alert - this thread is for posting desert island varieties being sent in. A desert island tomato is your ONE AND ONLY favorite variety.
You do know that this has been done before here at Tville .Yes? But it was worded slightly differently from your ONE tomato,which got some interesting answers.

Most chose to take with them two tomatoes, ones that were very different in color,taste, size,you name it and also OP, since they said with genetic diversity they would then set about crossing them, etc.to create new varieties.

All was fine until someone said what the heck are you going to water them with or how grow them since most DESERT islands are sand..

So I'll be following this thread to see which ONE variety folks pick and the reason for that choice.

Why couldn't you have added some stuff that grows well in sand,and sometimes salt, maybe some date trees, a few bananna trees,saltwort, some turtles, just a suggestion.

Carolyn
Old October 18, 2017   #5
imp
Tomatovillian™

And a handsome yet ever so handy cabana boy?
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #6
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Thought for a minute it was tomatoes for dessert! Now those would be some awesome choices!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #7
Nan_PA_6b
Tomatovillian™

At https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-desert-island
they say, "The 'desert' in 'desert island' is actually an archaic form of 'deserted'. It doesn't mean that the island is dry; it means that the island is uninhabited."
It just means you'll be alone on the island.

Nan
Nan_PA_6b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017   #8
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

[QUOTE=Nan_PA_6b;668387]At https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...-desert-island
they say, "The 'desert' in 'desert island' is actually an archaic form of 'deserted'. It doesn't mean that the island is dry; it means that the island is uninhabited."
It just means you'll be alone on the island.

$$$$$$$$$$$

I don't want to deal with an archaic form of any word, and I assumed all along if it were me I'd be the only one on the island.

No way to call out for Daconil to be sent, same for pizza, white fly traps, rare prime rib,two bags of Pro-mix, those great plastic labels from Harris Seeds,the best ones ever, or a computer so I could play my fave music vids, which I do before shutting off the computer at night.

And speaking of music vids I think it's almost time to do that so Good Night to everyone here at Tville who are still up and online.

Carolyn
Old October 18, 2017   #9
imp
Tomatovillian™

Good night, Carolyn, and sweet dreams.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017   #10
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

This year's choice for the deserted island (my desert island has perfect tomato growing soil and weather by the way) is between Daniel Burson and Heatherington Pink and since my Minnesota granddaughter wanted me to rename HP Willow's Pink, make my 2017 favorite Heatherington Pink.
Old October 19, 2017   #11
charline
Tomatovillian™

The one and only for me would be Pink Princess !!!
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017   #12
MarlynnMarcks
Tomatovillian™

Default What is Glovel?

Quote:
I googled this and couldn't find any tomato by that name listed. More info please.
MarlynnMarcks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017   #13
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarlynnMarcks View Post
I googled this and couldn't find any tomato by that name listed. More info please.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Glov...&bih=815&dpr=1

Carolyn
Old October 19, 2017   #14
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by charline View Post
The one and only for me would be Pink Princess !!!
This one Charline?

(Pink Princess Gene Pool Cherry Tomato ECO (62 days) Open-pollinated. Rampant Indeterminate. Very short crop so we are sharing it only with members this year. From the originators of Honeydrop comes the even more exciting Pink Princess, a recessive pink-fruited off-type of the Honeydrop. I have never tasted a pink cherry tomato as deliciously sweet. Pink Princess could become a classic. Large and early for a cherry tomato, the fruits, averaging 12.7g, began maturing just past mid-August. The thick skins, somewhat resistant to cracking, detract not one iota from the eating experience. In blind taste tests performed by Tom Vigue, most people have preferred it to Sun Gold. Unlike Sun Gold in size, skin thickness, color and in the lack of an acid tang, Pink Princess has a different irresistible quality that keeps me coming back for more. Still a work in progress, so will also contain some delectable egg-shaped golden Honeydrop types, some small and larger red round entries as well as true Princesses. Slow to give in to LB. Parthenocarpic. OSSI. 2013 Fedco introduction. ①)

It sounds like one I'd also like, but when I tried to buy from Fedco quite a few years ago you had to download all their offerings which took too much time for me.

I'm glad to see that Fedco was the first to introduce it and also the interesting history behind it.

They also described it has having different colors and forms. Is that what you got?

(Still a work in progress, so will also contain some delectable egg-shaped golden Honeydrop types, some small and larger red round entries as well as true Princesses. Slow to give in to LB. Parthenocarpic.)

OK,now I'm thinking better as in one named variety that is still not stable so you have the opportunity to have fun making selections and creating new varieties. However,I don't see being parthenocarpic as being something positive, just my opinion.

Carolyn, wishing you much luck on finding enough fresh water to grow it/them, and perhaps there could be some thunder showers a few times each year for however many years you are on that island .
Old October 19, 2017   #15
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulF View Post
This year's choice for the deserted island (my desert island has perfect tomato growing soil and weather by the way) is between Daniel Burson and Heatherington Pink and since my Minnesota granddaughter wanted me to rename HP Willow's Pink, make my 2017 favorite Heatherington Pink.
A Desert Island tomato cannot be a choice between two, or more, tomatoes, nor can it be a favorite for just a particular year. It's your ONE AND ONLY all-time favorite tomato (if you have one).

It's not like choosing between an apple and an orange, or a Pringle and a potato chip, or a cabana boy and a banana, or a Ferrari and a Lamborghini.