Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old September 26, 2017   #1381
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

I was sort-of watching football games on tv Sunday - they were talking about some of the games being played in record heat. I think it was Greenbay where they were playing in the hottest conditions for a game there. But I was only sort-of watching.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #1382
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I have boycotted football since 1958.
As for weather I'm about ready to declare a rain out.
I can't even get out of my truck and working alone this afternoon.
This isn't no small rain either.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #1383
bower
Tomatovillian™

Wet day here too. I broke down and turned the furnace on. Just too cold to work in the house.

Here's my latest garden visitor. He didn't want his picture taken and after chasing him from one window to the next high tailed it back to the woods. Makes me thankful I don't have a trophy tied to my head.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trophymoose-hightailinit.JPG (331.0 KB, 75 views)
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017   #1384
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

it is 90 outside once again and 112 in my greenhouse. We haven't had rain all Summer long. please send us your extras. please..... and people don't understand why food isn't cheap. if it was so easy to grow in drought or flood conditions or we all lived in the Garden of Eden ...then ya, it would be easy to grow it. had to water the corn all Summer. it had no rain after the first or so of June. I think we had a couple inches at the end of August... too little too late.
Old September 28, 2017   #1385
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by clkeiper View Post
it is 90 outside once again and 112 in my greenhouse. We haven't had rain all Summer long. please send us your extras. please..... and people don't understand why food isn't cheap. if it was so easy to grow in drought or flood conditions or we all lived in the Garden of Eden ...then ya, it would be easy to grow it. had to water the corn all Summer. it had no rain after the first or so of June. I think we had a couple inches at the end of August... too little too late.
Weather has cooled off overcast every day and rain.
Coming a nice soaking slow rain as we speak and 78 degrees.
Strange but I'm not complaining.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017   #1386
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

Sunshine and a high of 73 today. Just a beautiful day. We had a cool rainy day yesterday and only had a high of 65. Currently on the back patio with a fresh cup of coffee playing fetch with my 6 month old Golden Retriever. I think I finally wore him out a little.

Crows are freaking out in a large tree just across the back fence. After looking closer I see a big owl perched in the tree and the crows are keeping a close eye on him.

Last edited by SteveP; September 28, 2017 at 07:28 PM.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017   #1387
imp
Tomatovillian™

66 was the high here today, overcast and some light drizzle.

GR's are sweet puppies.
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017   #1388
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Woot Woot!!! it cooled off today. wasn't 90 for a change. more like sweatshirt weather most of the day.
Old September 28, 2017   #1389
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

It has cooled off here in Southern Ontario. We are looking at a high of 63F tomorrow with a chance of showers and low of 48 F.

A big change from the heat alert earlier in the week and record temperatures near 90F. One day was actually 90F.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017   #1390
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Got some good rain here today but I am positive those with roof damage aren't very happy about that. It's flooding in the Portland area though. All the towns around Corpus Christi are flooding and more rain is to come. I told my hubby last night if it rains really well and the sand it soaked good I'll take my awesome pointy shovel out there and dig that ditch on the side of the house he'll be needing for the drainage of the patio. We need to have that done before winter. We did put up the rain gutters but they are hanging out over the edge of the roofing about 2 or 3 feet to make sure the water doesn't come back onto the patio when it rains.

It will be nice to have a finished rain gutter system to move that water to the front of the house and keep most off the patio when it downpours. We haven't had the patio so flooded that I thought it would flood in the house anymore since he put up the rain gutter last year. That's been nice but it still gets about an inch or two that sits on it and we want that to move out when it rains.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #1391
bower
Tomatovillian™

We have such a rainy climate, and being in a rural area there is lots of natural drainage that has been carved out by nature all around me. So far though, we have dodged the bullet of extreme amounts of rain in a short time. The day may come yet when I see those areas filled with water, but for now it is able to handle what we get, I mean 8 not 80 inches as an extreme!

At the moment we have it warm, misty and wet thanks to Maria passing offshore. Yesterday's high of 18 C (? 66 F) is warm for us this time of year. Lows in the forecast though will be dropping to 3 C this week.
Old September 29, 2017   #1392
EPawlick
Tomatovillian™

Lows dropping to 4 C/39 F here. Highs between 15 and 24 C /59 to 75 F. Typical fall weather for my area.
EPawlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #1393
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

73 degrees and 99% humidity out there right now. The sun is shining beautifully too. This cold front won't be as strong as they thought it would be.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #1394
ddsack
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
Wet day here too. I broke down and turned the furnace on. Just too cold to work in the house.

Here's my latest garden visitor. He didn't want his picture taken and after chasing him from one window to the next high tailed it back to the woods. Makes me thankful I don't have a trophy tied to my head.
Oooh, Bower, just saw this! I'll trade you my 7 regular resident deer for one of those fine fellows!
If that forest is the view out of your window, I can see why you do well with mushrooms.

Weather here is cool fall, high today only 57F/14C and tomorrow high of 63F/17C will be the last sunny day for a while, rain coming.

ddsack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017   #1395
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddsack View Post
Oooh, Bower, just saw this! I'll trade you my 7 regular resident deer for one of those fine fellows!
If that forest is the view out of your window, I can see why you do well with mushrooms.

Weather here is cool fall, high today only 57F/14C and tomorrow high of 63F/17C will be the last sunny day for a while, rain coming.
You can have him, his mom and brothers to boot! I believe I recognize this young buck, as the mother mooses come by every fall to chow down the evening primroses in the garden and they bring their young ones with them. This guy may have been looking to run into his ma, after a first year out on his own. His mom btw is MUCH bigger. And not as shy. They haven't been yet for their annual feast.
Yes the woods and mushrooms are right to my door on the east side of the house, and I do need to cut some a dem trees. On the west side there's a garden full of moosey delights. And more woods. It is woodsy here... "the sticks".