Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 27, 2016   #1
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Default The Versus Thread

Big Beef vs Goliath

This is a thread for those of us with limited space, who have to decide between one or another variety. For example, I plan to grow one large red hybrid, and can't decide between Big Beef and Goliath. I know a lot of you swear by Big Beef, but they are rated the same for yield, and Goliath scores better on taste, here:

http://vegvariety.cce.cornell.edu/help.php

I also know several of you grow, or have grown, both. So what's the verdict? Which one would you choose, and why?

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

This will be fun! I can't answer because I haven't grown them (trying Big Beef F1) this year.

I know a lot of things impact this type of question, personal prefs, location, etc etc etc etc but it is still fun to do this type thing.

I'm sure I've got a couple I'll post.........I'll be back!!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #3
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am also going to grow Big Beef along with Big Boy and Better Boy.
I have not grown Goliath. Last year I grew Bush Goliath in pot. Nothing to write home about.

Gardeneer
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #4
Marcus1
Tomatovillian™

I grow about 500 goliath every year. I've also tried Big Beef, Beef Master, and Better Boy in side by side trials { always 2 years on the trials ] . The production for me here in CO was comparable on all 4 varieties. The first fruits on the Goliaths crack a little then later sets are crack free. The other 3 cracked from start to finish with Beef Master the worse. Taste wise Goliaths ruled with Big Beef a close second the other 2 I didn't care for.
Marcus
Marcus1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #5
Ricky Shaw
Tomatovillian™

Good information for me Marcus, we're pretty close.
Ricky Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #6
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I'm growing Big Beef vs Mountain Merit. I grew BB last year and it was great, but MM has the added nematode resistance. I have also noticed that many customers at market just buy red tomatoes and apparently don't care much about taste. If it looks like a store tomato they will buy it, so flavor isnt as much of a concern in this instance.

Some others will be Black Cherry vs Ron's Carbon Copy f7 and I am growing 10 paste tomatoes for evaluation. I will stop growing the bottom 2 each year until I get the final 2, then grow mainly those while trying a new one or two every year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I've got a couple that come to mind now I'm interested to hear about. I'm likely growing these varieties in future years, but would love to hear any 1:1 comparisons.

Earl of Edgecomb vs Jaune Flammee

and

Dwarf Wild Fred vs Dwarf Fred's Tie Dye

and

Black Cherry vs Chocolate Cherry

Saw this: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33975

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 27, 2016 at 09:41 AM.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #8
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus1 View Post
I grow about 500 goliath every year. I've also tried Big Beef, Beef Master, and Better Boy in side by side trials { always 2 years on the trials ] . The production for me here in CO was comparable on all 4 varieties. The first fruits on the Goliaths crack a little then later sets are crack free. The other 3 cracked from start to finish with Beef Master the worse. Taste wise Goliaths ruled with Big Beef a close second the other 2 I didn't care for.
Marcus
Thanks Marcus, along with the Cornell reviews , that's another one for Goliath. It also says a lot that you grow 500. (Wow!) I've also read that it does well in cooler climates, which is a plus here. And it has the same disease tolerance as BB (VFFNTASt). I'm definitely leaning toward Goliath, but I'm still open minded, so all comments are appreciated.

jmsieglaff,It will also be interesting to hear comparisons of other varieties going head to head. I'm glad you've joined in.

And BigVanVader, I hope you'll compare varieties grown side by side during the coming season. I'm sure folks here will appreciate it.
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #9
bower
Tomatovillian™

Earl of Edge vs Jaune Flammee:
Don't have a side by side but I grew both of these in different yet equally horrible summers.
Earl of E didn't produce a single fruit for me.
Jaune Flammee produced a nice bit although later than I would have liked.
If I had to choose between them for a nasty cold summer, obviously JF wins hands down.
Indeed I won't be trying the Earl again any time soon.
Lovely summers, your mileage no doubt will vary!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #10
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Tangerine vs Jubilee

I haven't tried Tangerine yet, but grew Jubilee years ago and thought the flavour was good.

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #11
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The post threw me off for a minute but I think I know what you are getting at now.
If I am correct we are comparing varieties that are alike.
Yes I am doing the same thing here with a few but not many.
Aunt Ruby's German Green versus Emerald Evergreen.
Paul Robinson versus Indian Stripe.
These are my main two.
About everything else is different enough that I can just about plant them all without labels.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #12
creister
Tomatovillian™

Last year, I grew Juanne Flamme and Earl of Edgecombe. Both were productive, but I like the flavor of the JF much better than the Earl.

I have also grown Goliath and Big Beef. Here in my part of the world, it is a toss up, although it seems I got larger fruits from Goliath.
creister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #13
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
I've got a couple that come to mind now I'm interested to hear about. I'm likely growing these varieties in future years, but would love to hear any 1:1 comparisons.

Earl of Edgecomb vs Jaune Flammee

and

Dwarf Wild Fred vs Dwarf Fred's Tie Dye

and

Black Cherry vs Chocolate Cherry

Saw this: http://www.tomatoville.com/showthread.php?t=33975
To Black Cherry and Chocolate Cherry, you may want to add Austin's Black Cherry and Sandy's Chocolate Cherry.
Perhaps a tag team match (tables and chairs...plates too) for the championship belt.
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #14
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Big Beef tastes better than Goliath in my garden. I like BB a lot better. Goliath has a grainy texture that I don't care for at all. Of course that result may be specific to my location.

I do the "throwdown" battles every summer between similar varieties. (insert Rocky theme) The ones I keep tend to be the winners, although sometimes I still can't pick just one and will save seeds from both. Sungold F1 is the one champion that is hard to upset, but I keep trying.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2016   #15
TightenUp
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
To Black Cherry and Chocolate Cherry, you may want to add Austin's Black Cherry and Sandy's Chocolate Cherry.
Perhaps a tag team match (tables and chairs...plates too) for the championship belt.
For me Sunchocola blew all black/chocolate cherries away. Nothing came close

TightenUp is offline   Reply With Quote