Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Discussion forum for the various methods and structures used for getting an early start on your growing season, extending it for several weeks or even year 'round.

Old April 27, 2014   #1
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Default Greenhouse on rooftops

Folks, I am considering adding a greenhouse to the only consistently sunny area of my property - my roof on a two story home (with a pulley system to the garden to transport soils, supplies). Has anyone any experience with this or know of a good manufacturer of greenhouses that can be used on rooftops?
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #2
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Depending on how big of a greenhouse and how much you plan to grow up there, make sure the roof can handle the weight. Building codes carry from region to region, so they may not require structures able to carry heavier loads down south like they do up here where snow is a factor.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #3
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Good advice. This is being built along with a new two story porch, so will be a major job. Any thoughts on design, or are there any pre built greenhouses that might be used in this way?
Old April 27, 2014   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Wind load becomes a greater concern with every foot higher you go off the ground. A structure that would be ok on the ground will likely require extra bracing against wind if it is on a rooftop.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #5
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

I am wondering if there is any specific experience with building one of these on the roof, and if there are prebuilt versions for rooftops.
Old April 27, 2014   #6
kurt
Tomatovillian™

You can buy plenty of sizes of greenhouses on the web.The suggestion of a wind load above is a serious consideration when ordering said greenhouse.Local codes and the neighbors approval should be taken into consideration.Soil,water source, equipment,debri,containers will add up.A visit of your existing roof structure building plans might to a qualified engineer/architect might be wise.Heavy rain run off,roof/slope/gutters/drainage should be looked at.Some roof warrantys require "walk protection"for service access to thwart roof membrane puncture.A neighbor of my brother in law in PA did something similar.He put in a roof hatch from his access to the roof with a nice steel angled stepped stairs.He did have some home insurance upgrades.He also put a water source,slopsink and a rudimentary drain for cleaning.Have fun and good luck.

Last edited by kurt; April 27, 2014 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Additional thoughts
kurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2014   #7
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

Scott-When I lived in El Paso I had a greenhouse from http://www.texasgreenhouse.com.

I had it for 10 plus years and it was well designed and durable. Very nice greenhouse.

You might talk to someone in their tech department there who could answer your questions, and also give you the name of a company close to you.

Its a great idea, and would really extend your growing seasons, assuming it was done properly.