Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2017   #1
bin4given2
Tomatovillian™

Default Reasons Sun Gold isn't sweet?

I've been growing Sun Golds every year for 5 years in a 20 gal. grow bag - they are always sweet and flavorful, but for some reason they are not sweet this year..... at all. I cannot come up with a reason why, unless it is related to the first signs of blight (early, late?) showing on the bottom leaves. Any ideas? Growing season has been good and early this year in Colorado!
bin4given2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #2
b54red
Tomatovillian™

It may be some other variety that is similar but not as sweet. I have never grown them that they weren't almost too sweet to eat.

The only thing I can think that might cause that is way way too much water. Too much water can dilute the flavor of any tomato.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

The plant I bought sucked I let it die.
Worse tomato ever this year and growing in the same spot other cherry tomatoes like Galina's thrived.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017   #4
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

My sun gold is not sweet either, and giving very small fruit. My first time growing it. I was not impressed.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Unlikely it is a real sungold. Lots of look alikes out there these days
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #6
oakley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bin4given2 View Post
I've been growing Sun Golds every year for 5 years in a 20 gal. grow bag - they are always sweet and flavorful, but for some reason they are not sweet this year..... at all. I cannot come up with a reason why, unless it is related to the first signs of blight (early, late?) showing on the bottom leaves. Any ideas? Growing season has been good and early this year in Colorado!
Are you growing from the same packet of seed?
Or, if these are your first fruits picked, it may take a week or two for them to get on
their sweet way...upper and later truss?

It is the only hybrid I grow and always from Tom.GrowersSupply. Consistently no mater
the weather, it has always produced well. In three different locations.

I'm guessing wrong seed as well. It's a workhorse for many all over the planet.
Not necessarily my favorite but makes the top ten every year being so dependable.

...always the possibility of disease. Odd that your other tomatoes are having such a
good year...
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #7
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Are sungold cherries particularly small? If not, you may be correct and mine may not be Sungold either. Tomato Growers Supply was not my source. I haven't used them in 6 years because I had issues with them in 2010. Do you all recommend them as a seed source? If so, maybe I should revisit.
Old July 24, 2017   #8
bower
Tomatovillian™

The genuine Sungold is quite a small cherry.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #9
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Are sungold cherries particularly small? If not, you may be correct and mine may not be Sungold either. Tomato Growers Supply was not my source. I haven't used them in 6 years because I had issues with them in 2010. Do you all recommend them as a seed source? If so, maybe I should revisit.
Yes,I strongly suggest TGS as a seed source. I've known Linda Sapp since I think the 2nd year they put out a catalog which I think was about in 1989.

And in those rare instances when wrong seeds are sent out and reported back to her,she makes it right and sends all new seeds,whereas most places limit their liability to the cost of a single seed pack.

How on earth did you ever get into a disagreement with Linda? She is one of the most honest cooperative persons I've ever known. Sure we've had some disagreements, especially about those two Red Brandywines and neither one is a Red Brandywine.Of course all the Hybids she offers are from the companies that bred them as well as many of the OP ones are as well, and many of the heirloom ones she gets sent and has to send them out for seed production.

When her husband was still alive,he was a lawyer,he was in his office and had a fatal heart attack,he would look through various catalogs and SSE Yearbooks and suggest to her ones that might work well. One I remember was Virginia Sweets. It was Vince who bred what we know as Black Cherry.

Over the years I have sent her several hundreds of varieties and I could make a list here of Tville members who have also sent her seeds to trial. Which they used to do themselves until they moved to a smaller home and property.

Lastly, re Sungold F1, aside from weather,which I think is obvious,the ratio of foliage to root structure is also important since the more foliage, the greater is photosynthesis that leads to more energy for synthesis of those compounds involved in taste.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2017   #10
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Yes,I strongly suggest TGS as a seed source. I've known Linda Sapp since I think the 2nd year they put out a catalog which I think was about in 1989.

And in those rare instances when wrong seeds are sent out and reported back to her,she makes it right and sends all new seeds,whereas most places limit their liability to the cost of a single seed pack.

How on earth did you ever get into a disagreement with Linda?
Carolyn

I didn't have a disagreement with anyone.

I had a product issue over the course of three seasons with seed I bought there.

I read online about others having a similar issue around the same time, so I simply bought elsewhere.
Old July 24, 2017   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I didn't have a disagreement with anyone.

I had a product issue over the course of three seasons with seed I bought there.

I read online about others having a similar issue around the same time, so I simply bought elsewhere.
What product issue did you have?Wrong Seeds? Did you report it so something could be done about it.?

If no one knows there's a problem there's no way to make it right as I see it.

And I posted about this with Linda in a post above as to what she does when wrong seeds are sent out.

Carolyn
Old July 24, 2017   #12
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

It was another issue, and that was back when I never considered contacting seed suppliers over problems. I simply opted to branch out and give other places a try.

As I said upthread, if others here recommend them (as you clearly and enthusiastically do), I certainly am willing to go back and give them another go. They have a large catalog that seems inviting.
Old July 24, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
It was another issue, and that was back when I never considered contacting seed suppliers over problems. I simply opted to branch out and give other places a try.

As I said upthread, if others here recommend them (as you clearly and enthusiastically do), I certainly am willing to go back and give them another go. They have a large catalog that seems inviting.
I dont vouch for many people but I stand by Linda till the cows come home.
I have used TGS for many many years.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #14
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I have always gotten good service from TGS and the one time a seed was wrong they made it right with no problems. Half the heirlooms I grow now came from TGS and the other half from trades for some varieties that they didn't have.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blight , colorado , not sweet , sungold