Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old December 27, 2016   #1
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default 2017 Tomato and Garden Pictures

This is where I'll share my 2017 garden pictures. No pictures right now since it is the middle of winter, although I will share some indoor grown micro dwarf pictures over the next few weeks. I hope you all enjoy the posts and it will also serve as a good way for me to document me some garden notes and thoughts.

Thought I'd start with my 2017 tomato grow list with some comments.

Sungold F1: Every year. Tried Sunsugar F1 last year--just about the same thing, just awesome.

Black Krim, Noire de Crimee: I grow Black Krim every year, but I just had to do a side-by-side with Noire de Crimee after what I've read in Carolyn's book.

Daniel Burson: Love black tomatoes so I've got to give this a try after the reviews here in 2016.

Black Cherry and Garnet cherry tomato: Want to grow these side-by-side to see which we like better.

KBX and Orange Jazz: Grew KBX in 2016 and loved it, thought it would be interesting to do a side-by-side with Orange Jazz.

Jaune Flammee and Earl of Edgecombe: Flavor descriptions in Carolyn's book sound right up my alley and want to which we like best.

Aunt Ginny's Purple and Crnkovic Yugoslavian: Two highly regarded heirlooms I wanted to grow together to see which does better in my garden.

Mat-Su Express: After Mark's mouthwateringly good/exceptional comment how could I not grow it since he was kind enough to share seeds.

Wisconsin 55: Our son's favorite red tomato that always has a spot in his garden.

Blush: Beauty and flavor in the same package, returning from 2016.

Summertime Green and Emerald Giant dwarfs: Doing a side-by-side of two large GWR dwarf beefsteaks--grew one of their parents Green Giant in 2016 and really liked it!

Teensy F3 Chocolate Cherry, Teensy F4 Yellow Cherry, Emmy F2: Dwarf project grow--outs.

A couple strains of micro dwarfs.

Can't wait for another summer of new to me tomatoes!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 28, 2016   #2
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

A look of 3 micro multifloras growing under the lights in the basement. Good little winter project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7869.JPG (194.9 KB, 802 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_7870.JPG (219.4 KB, 800 views)
Old December 28, 2016   #3
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

they look great! I like the picket fence too.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2017   #4
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Karen.

Snapped a picture after buzzing flowers. You can see the pollen grains on the dark green leaves under the flower. Happy 2017!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7905.JPG (222.6 KB, 764 views)
Old January 11, 2017   #5
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Let the 2017 outdoor garden begin! Tonight we sowed Copra onion seeds! They'll sprout on top of the fridge and then will live under the lights until they go outside in the cold frame in March.

Last edited by jmsieglaff; January 11, 2017 at 08:18 PM.
Old January 13, 2017   #6
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Congrats on the start of your new season! Pretty soon you need to be starting the cabbage, cauliflower and broccoli too.
Old January 14, 2017   #7
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Hoping and thinking the first microdwarf will be ripe before the end of January.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 596974B0-B734-45A7-B206-525DDE94D20A.jpg (451.4 KB, 645 views)
Old January 15, 2017   #8
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Yay! I start my onion seeds soon as well. Usually I start them now but uh, I haven't ordered them yet! haha.

Cheers to a good grow year!
Old January 15, 2017   #9
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

What kind of onions do you grow? I grow Copra. I tried Cortland as well but found no appreciable difference and Copra seeds are cheaper. Nearly all my onions are used for roasted tomatillo salsa or cooking. So storage time is very important for me.
Old January 16, 2017   #10
Chris24
Tomatovillian™

Nice Tomatoes.

Last edited by Chris24; January 16, 2017 at 01:29 AM.
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2017   #11
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

Justin

I grew Copra too, but I wasn't getting the yields I wanted, a lot of smallish onions before they flopped over. I tried the Alisa Craig onions this year, thinking maybe I will get bigger bulbs due to them being competition onions and boy did I ever. So I am growing those again this year.

They say they aren't great for storage but I harvested them in August I believe and they are just now sprouting.
Old January 16, 2017   #12
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raiquee View Post
Justin

I grew Copra too, but I wasn't getting the yields I wanted, a lot of smallish onions before they flopped over. I tried the Alisa Craig onions this year, thinking maybe I will get bigger bulbs due to them being competition onions and boy did I ever. So I am growing those again this year.

They say they aren't great for storage but I harvested them in August I believe and they are just now sprouting.
Great pice of info! Thanks for sharing. My Copra are continuing to hold steady in storage--they usually last for me until about March. I don't mind a smaller onion, often makes for the perfect amount when cooking. The bulk of mine vary between racquetball and tennis ball size.
Old January 16, 2017   #13
Raiquee
Tomatovillian™

This was the size of my Alisas. I did get smaller ones, but most were around hand size. Granted, I do have smaller hands..

I can a lot so for me the smaller onions were hard to work with. I am pulling the sprouting ones out and making french onion soup with them to can. I will eventually dice them, put them on a cookie sheet to freeze then in a big zip lock so I can float us out until next onion harvest!

IMG_1630.jpg
Old January 20, 2017   #14
cassiani
Tomatovillian™

Very nice plants JM! Beautifully deep green healtyy leaves what lamp do you use?
cassiani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2017   #15
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassiani View Post
Very nice plants JM! Beautifully deep green healtyy leaves what lamp do you use?
Thanks! I have a 4 foot High Output T5 6500k grow stand. I also had an extra 4 foot T12 fixture with 2 bulbs--6500k daylight and an aquarium/plant light that I think is around 4100K, but would have to double check.