Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 14, 2017   #226
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

"The first 2 Esterinas came ripe this week. They had a great texture, meaty but nice and juicy. Skins weren't tough. They were definitely on the sweet side and a bit mild"

I agree with "mild." Definitely was not a spitter - but not as intense as Sungold for me. Picked more today with the same taste results.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14, 2017   #227
jtjmartin
Tomatovillian™

Default Maglia Rosa v. Blush

Taste: Both Maglia Rosa and Blush had a similar taste. MR was just a little more intense. MR gets my vote.

Production: Blush is a much larger plant so it produces more per plant. I have Maglia Rosa in a pot - it produces more square foot - its just a smaller plant.

Bottom Line: Maglia will be back in a little larger pot next year. It's my favorite tomato in a pot this year. If for some reason I couldn't plant Maglia I would be pretty happy with Blush.
jtjmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2017   #228
charline
Tomatovillian™

Black Zebra vs. Vernissage black

Vernissage black is a little bigger, black Zebra is a little darker
Both beautiful
Taste is similar, nothing to brag about

Will post pics when I have a computer....
charline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #229
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
All my plants are looking good so far, so it's...

1884 Strawberry Wedge
vs
Anna Maria's Heart
vs
Anna Russian
vs
Aunt Sophie
vs
Bangladesh Heart
vs
Belize Pink Heart
vs
Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
vs
Bill Jenkins Oxheart
vs
"Bleeding Heart"
vs
Bobbie
vs
"Brad's Black Heart PL"
vs
Bychie Myod
vs
Dad's Mug
vs
Donskoi
vs
Dwarf Golden Heart
vs
Eagle's Beak
vs
Everett's Rusty Heart
vs
Fish Lake Oxheart
vs
Giant Lemon Oxheart
vs
Granny's Heart
vs
Greenbush Italian
vs
Hartford
vs
Heart of Compassion
vs
Herodes
vs
Iraqi Heart
vs
Joe's Pink Oxheart
vs
"Kellogg's Breakfast Heart"
vs
Kukla's Portuguese Heart
vs
Lescana Heart
vs
Linnie's Oxheart
vs
Marek's Pointy Heart
vs
"Medusa"
vs
"Miss Scarlet In The Kitchen With The Knife"
vs
Mom's Heart
vs
Nima Dorinei
vs
Orange Minsk Heart
vs
Orange Strawberry
vs
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
vs
Reif Red Heart
vs
Sen Say
vs
Spudleaf 117
vs
Sylvan Gaume
vs
Tsesarevich
vs
Ukrainian Heart
vs
Ukrainka
vs
Wes
vs
White Oxheart
vs
Wolford's Wonder
vs
Work Release Paste
vs
Zore's Big Red

All may not be hearts, they may not be spelled correctly, names in " " are not considered stable (neither am I), and there are several other varieties not listed that may produce hearts.
Remembering what happened to your plants last year, it looks like you're having a much better season....
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #230
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I've found myself reaching for the De Barao Orange on my kitchen counter over the Juane Flamme.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017   #231
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I've found myself reaching for the De Barao Orange on my kitchen counter over the Juane Flamme.
That's nice to know. We're enjoying the Jaune Flamme here since they are one of the earliest to ripen. I'm impressed with the orderly production of fruit and investment in fruit vs stems, compared to others in my (admittedly under the ground) greenhouse. I like the pretty blush in the middle. Tangy and nice but I wouldn't consider the flavor exceptional at least in these early fruit.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #232
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tormato View Post
All my plants are looking good so far, so it's...

1884 Strawberry Wedge
vs
Anna Maria's Heart
vs
Anna Russian
vs
Aunt Sophie
vs
Bangladesh Heart
vs
Belize Pink Heart
vs
Berkeley Tie Dye Heart
vs
Bill Jenkins Oxheart
vs
"Bleeding Heart"
vs
Bobbie
vs
"Brad's Black Heart PL"
vs
Bychie Myod
vs
Dad's Mug
vs
Donskoi
vs
Dwarf Golden Heart
vs
Eagle's Beak
vs
Everett's Rusty Heart
vs
Fish Lake Oxheart
vs
Giant Lemon Oxheart
vs
Granny's Heart
vs
Greenbush Italian
vs
Hartford
vs
Heart of Compassion
vs
Herodes
vs
Iraqi Heart
vs
Joe's Pink Oxheart
vs
"Kellogg's Breakfast Heart"
vs
Kukla's Portuguese Heart
vs
Lescana Heart
vs
Linnie's Oxheart
vs
Marek's Pointy Heart
vs
"Medusa"
vs
"Miss Scarlet In The Kitchen With The Knife"
vs
Mom's Heart
vs
Nima Dorinei
vs
Orange Minsk Heart
vs
Orange Strawberry
vs
Rebecca Sebastian's Bull Bag
vs
Reif Red Heart
vs
Sen Say
vs
Spudleaf 117
vs
Sylvan Gaume
vs
Tsesarevich
vs
Ukrainian Heart
vs
Ukrainka
vs
Wes
vs
White Oxheart
vs
Wolford's Wonder
vs
Work Release Paste
vs
Zore's Big Red

All may not be hearts, they may not be spelled correctly, names in " " are not considered stable (neither am I), and there are several other varieties not listed that may produce hearts.

I, for one, will be eagerly awaiting the results.

I'm sticking with my new grow list selection method for slicers -- one each pink, red, and "other" colored heart and beefsteak. I have plenty of options for red, pink and "other" beefsteaks, as well as red and pink hearts. Other than Orange Minsk Heart, which I'm growing this year, and Orange Russian 117 which matures too late, I have no possibilities yet for an "other color" heart. I think you have a few scattered amongst your hearts and I'd love to hear how they do, what they taste like, etc. Thanks!
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #233
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorbelly View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtjmartin View Post
I have Sungold growing right next to Esterina with Galina's in the next row - all similar conditions.

Taste: Sungold is the clear winner. Period. I'm not sure my teen daughter even knows that I grow the bowl of mixed cherries that magically appear. But, she picks that darker, orange Sungold out first.

I think that Galina's has more taste than Esterina. I expected a lot more out of Esterina. Next year could be different.

Production: Sungold and Esterina put out a ton of fruit for me - I get tired of picking them. Galina's has good production - but not close to the hybrids.

Result: Sungold is on my permanent grow list.
I like Sungold, but it's not my favorite. I may put it back in the rotation in the near future, as it's popular with the neighbors.

The first 2 Esterinas came ripe this week. They had a great texture, meaty but nice and juicy. Skins weren't tough. They were definitely on the sweet side and a bit mild, which is not my favorite, though I certainly have family members who like that. They may improve with later fruits, though.

Galina's is still green. But it's really loading up with fruit. So far, it has more fruit than Esterina and is growing more vigorously.
So Galina's still has more fruit set than Esterina F1. Perhaps Esterina really needs a lot of sun?

Esterina remains sweet but mild, although not as mild as those first ones. A good tomato, not great.

I have to admit that I'm disappointed with Galina's. It's sour and bland. Not at all what I was led to expect. Some have said it really gets good late in the fall when everything else is pooping out and losing flavor, so maybe it will improve later. Also, perhaps it needs more sun for full flavor.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #234
Fritz77
Tomatovillian™

Here is what I can compare this season:

Armenian Vs. Burracker's Favorite

Rebel Yell Vs. Daniels

Dwarf Wild Fred Vs. Tasmanian Chocolate

George Detsikas Italian Red Vs. Mega Marv

Cuostralee Vs. Yuvel'

Problems: I'm growing DWF in growbags in my balcony and it's the last tomato I planted. It looks healthy and has a few blossoms, but no fruits so far. Looks like bees don't like my balcony.

I have serious doubts regarding the only Mega Marv plant I have. I got my seeds through the MMMM swap. Somehow this plant doesn't look true to type. When it was smaller it looked more like a dwarf tomato plant with semi rugose foliage. Now it has grown up to maybe 5 feet but it's fruits are not nearly as big as I expected them to be. Here's the only picture I have, taken almost three weeks ago. I'll try to take and post another picture tonight to show you what the fruits look like now.

If you have grown this tomato before, maybe you can tell me your opinion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WP_20170712_16_43_53_Pro.jpg (303.4 KB, 211 views)
Fritz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2017   #235
charline
Tomatovillian™

Grightmires Pride Vs Iraqi Heart

Iraqi Heart wins, stronger taste.

Grightmires Pride was very good last year but lacks flavor this year, dont know why... both times outside, not in the tunnel
Old July 27, 2017   #236
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

Noire Charbonneuse beats Bear Creek for best dark tomato of the year. Both were good.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4, 2017   #237
charline
Tomatovillian™

Carbon Copy. Vs. Kiss the sky

Both very good. If I had to chose I would take Carbon copy (more flavor).
About the same size and color. Carbon copy a bit earlier.
Old August 4, 2017   #238
zipcode
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have to admit that I'm disappointed with Galina's. It's sour and bland.
It is supposed to be sour. I have grown it in various gardens and it was never sweet. Those seed vendor descriptions are not to be trusted. It is not bland however. I guess it depends how you eat it. I find it strong flavoured, but with salt. It should have a rich smell when cut.
zipcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #239
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I have to admit that I'm disappointed with Galina's. It's sour and bland. Not at all what I was led to expect. Some have said it really gets good late in the fall when everything else is pooping out and losing flavor, so maybe it will improve later. Also, perhaps it needs more sun for full flavor.
Thanks for the warning. This was on my radar because so many people rave about it. I've never heard that it was sour, which would have crossed it off my list long ago

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 6, 2017   #240
gorbelly
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Thanks for the warning. This was on my radar because so many people rave about it. I've never heard that it was sour, which would have crossed it off my list long ago

Linda
The recent ones I picked are getting a little more well-rounded in flavor but still very mild. I don't like mild cherries.

But, Linda, I hear it shines and gets really good late in the season when it's cooler and other tomatoes are going downhill in flavor. I'll let you know whether that's the case, because if so, it might be a good one to try in a cooler area like yours. I'll keep you updated, and I'm also happy to share seed if you decide you want to try it after all.

EDIT: It's also possible it just doesn't like my garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zipcode View Post
It is supposed to be sour. I have grown it in various gardens and it was never sweet. Those seed vendor descriptions are not to be trusted. It is not bland however. I guess it depends how you eat it. I find it strong flavoured, but with salt. It should have a rich smell when cut.
We're probably having a shared vocabulary points of reference issue.

I like tart tomatoes, i.e., tomatoes in which the acidity takes a front seat in the flavor profile, just fine. They definitely have their place, and I like to grow a variety of tomatoes on the sweet<->tart spectrum.

Galina's for me up until now was just sour. Bland and watery-tasting, and one-note--that note being just sour. No richness. No savoryness. Just bland and sour. Not even enough oomph to qualify as tart or bright or acidic.

It's starting to improve and get a little more well-rounded and savory, but so far not enough to make me want to grow it again.

Last edited by gorbelly; August 6, 2017 at 09:38 AM.
gorbelly is offline   Reply With Quote