Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Have a favorite recipe that's always a hit with family and friends? Share it with us!

Old 4 Days Ago   #3736
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

I splurged last night and did a reverse sear on the charcoal grill with some soaked hickory chunks. The victim was a 3# Tomahawk ribeye. It wasn't cheap eaten, but to justify a little I will get 3 meals from it. And it was one of the best steaks I have had in a long time. Since MommaP rarely eats red meat I grilled her some bacon wrapped shrimp basted with garlic butter.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 Days Ago   #3737
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Decided to make a big batch of pesto.
But using walnut oil and home smoked salt.
Now I need to go to the store and get walnuts garlic and some cheese.
Worth
Old 4 Days Ago   #3738
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Okay you have to think volume not total cost on this one and consider the ingredients.
Walnut oil.
Extra virgin olive oil.
Chopped garlic.
Home grown basil.
Fennel seeds.
Chopped pecans.
Agriform Asiago.
Pecorino Romano.
Both the real deal.
Black pepper.
Home smoked sea salt.
This stuff is figging killer.
About a quarts worth.

IMG_20170722_38582.jpg

Last edited by Worth1; 4 Days Ago at 12:35 PM.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 Days Ago   #3739
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Chicken pesto fettucine okra soup.
Homegrown okra.
Homegrown basil.
Homemade pesto.
Home canned chicken.
Worth
IMG_20170723_47684.jpg
Old 1 Day Ago   #3740
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Pan fried pork chops tonight.
Don't really care about any sides at all maybe a potato.
Old 1 Day Ago   #3741
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Today was sort of busy, so I made a bologna, American cheese, cotto salami sandwich. Jan ate a little bowl of fruit that comes in those 4-packs. She said, Yuck!
Old 1 Day Ago   #3742
bower
Tomatovillian™

I really don't know how you guys cope with months of heat. On one hand you have no appetite, or else you're weak with starvation and can't face turning on the stove! At least that's how it is without AC! And you have to drink something heaven forbid it's a sugary pop because that little bit of appetite.... forget about it.

Days past I had nothing in the freezer except meat to roast... all kinds, and couldn't even imagine cooking it. Finally with the cool wind and forecast for this evening, I dragged out a beef roast and a whole chicken and thawed them to cook tonight. Nearly midnight I finally have eaten and I will have COLD MEATS for the week ahead, thanks be to environment canada weather forecast. Sadly no home grown pork, just sale meats from the super. It'll do.
Had to defrost my stupid fridge last night. Supposedly 'frost free' it sucks the moisture out of any vegetable or open container in the fridge and makes an ice jam in the space behind the freezer wall, blocking the cold air from circulating to the fridge, so it gets warmer and warmer while the darnoodely machine grinds on with the effort of blocking itself night and day. Bet the electric is a fortune on the blocked fridge, more expensive than the food I had to drag out and sacrifice with all cool storage areas verging in the 'hot'.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 Day Ago   #3743
AlittleSalt
Tomatovillian™

Bower, there are two good things about the heat and not being hungry. One being the grocery bill shrinks, and two - so does the extra pounds we carry around...and for those in England - pounds = body fat - not money.

But being serious, the heat does effect your diet.
Old 23 Hours Ago   #3744
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower View Post
I really don't know how you guys cope with months of heat. On one hand you have no appetite, or else you're weak with starvation and can't face turning on the stove! At least that's how it is without AC! And you have to drink something heaven forbid it's a sugary pop because that little bit of appetite.... forget about it.

Days past I had nothing in the freezer except meat to roast... all kinds, and couldn't even imagine cooking it. Finally with the cool wind and forecast for this evening, I dragged out a beef roast and a whole chicken and thawed them to cook tonight. Nearly midnight I finally have eaten and I will have COLD MEATS for the week ahead, thanks be to environment canada weather forecast. Sadly no home grown pork, just sale meats from the super. It'll do.
Had to defrost my stupid fridge last night. Supposedly 'frost free' it sucks the moisture out of any vegetable or open container in the fridge and makes an ice jam in the space behind the freezer wall, blocking the cold air from circulating to the fridge, so it gets warmer and warmer while the darnoodely machine grinds on with the effort of blocking itself night and day. Bet the electric is a fortune on the blocked fridge, more expensive than the food I had to drag out and sacrifice with all cool storage areas verging in the 'hot'.
I don't know how folks in the Midwest cope with year after year of constantly overcast winters and constant snow from October to April. Tried it. Hated it! My winter there was 8 feet of snow and a real feel of 40 below. The saving grace...great pubs everywhere, cheese curds, local beers, and sausages. I flew home at the height of Spring and back into a blizzard. Easy decision!
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 Hours Ago   #3745
imp
Tomatovillian™

Picked up a rotisserie chicken at Wally world when I did the grocery cart trip today. It really is a good deal, only $4.99 for a good sized freshly cooked chicken. For me, being alone, it'll make 5 to 6 meals and a good carcass for stock. Works out about 65 cents a pop for protein, not bad. Plus a couple of sandwiches, LOL.

It'd cost me more just to buy whole chicken, let alone season and cook it ( and heat up the kitchen!).
imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #3746
matereater
Tomatovillian™

Imp, my wife and I buy the 4.99 chickens at Costco. Flavor is great and we usually get at least 3 meals out of it, theyre usually in the 3 lb range. greatest deal in the store !!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
matereater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #3747
SteveP
Tomatovillian™

When I make chicken and noodles I buy the garlic butter rotisserie chickens. Use 1/2 of it, deboned the other half for when I make c&n again.
SteveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 Hours Ago   #3748
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Words of lady from Vietnam years after being here she was our friend.
In Vietnam one chicken feed whole family one week.
Here whole chicken feed me one meal.
Get fat.
Worth