Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 16, 2017   #46
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Interesting. I will have to see how the Tulip Poplars correspond with my usual plant out date here. I do a lot of my lawn care based on when Redbuds or Dogwoods bloom so I think that should be a good marker.
I sure don't trust Dogwoods for planting tomatoes. They get fooled by the weather too often. I don't have any Redbuds in my yard so I really couldn't say on those. The Tulip Poplar is a native tree to this area and unlike Dogwoods I haven't seen it miss once. I have never put out my tomatoes too early using the Tulip Poplar but I have set them out a little bit latter which I can live with. In that case it usually means the ground is still too cool for good growth even though the air has warmed up enough.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #47
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Well tonight I am starting my seeds. I'm going to do as Bill says and start my scion seeds first. Since I have plenty of seeds for the ones I'm grafting I am going to plant some every 2 days for 10 days then start my rootstock seeds on the 5th day. That way I should be able to get good matches on all of them. I think i'm going to use 25 rootstock seeds the first try and 25 the second. (I only have 50 seeds) so I hope I get at least 50% survival. I think we should start a 2017 grafting thread I have seen several people saying they plan to try it this year.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #48
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

Not sure what you all think your cost will be, but I found a small professional grafting operation in Lancaster PA that does grafting for $2.35 per plant up to 50 plant. Cheaper if you buy more.
They started a business supplying a tunnel grower that has 5 acres of haygrove tunnels. They then added outside sales to meet demand.
They will even grow your seeds if you don't like their standard list.

Last edited by PureHarvest; January 17, 2017 at 06:19 PM.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #49
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

This will be my first year grafting, so I had the initial one-time investment for a razor, clips, and humidity domes. From here on it'll just be roof stock seeds which will run me about $.40 +/- each.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #50
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah that's not a bad deal but I'd rather learn myself. Been wanting to try the triple variety grafts ever since Delerium posted his. I will have plenty of spare seedlings to try it with. If I get good at it I can see them selling well and really drawing attention at market. If not it would be cool just to grow a few.
Old January 17, 2017   #51
PureHarvest
Tomatovillian™

I'd like to learn too.
But then I also count my labor in costs too and I need a few hundred plants.
PureHarvest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2017   #52
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

Yeah, I'm not as concerned since this is mostly still a hobby. I'm just trying to graft my favorite heirlooms so I can enjoy them most of the year.
Old January 17, 2017   #53
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

My goal is to actually cut down on the number of pastes I need to grow to produce enough for least 20-25 quarts of purée. The disease pressures have gotten so bad these past few years that I barely get six quarts from 18-20 plants before they need to be pulled. I'm hoping grafting will allow me to cut back and free up some raised bed space for other crops.
Old January 18, 2017   #54
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try few grafting this year too, just to get hooked
Talking about germinating:
On Jan 14th ( around noon ) I sowed 15 varieties of tomatoes (first batch ) .
Starting 8 pm last nigh (1/17) I saw them popping.
Sun Gold was the leader followed by BW Sudduth, Big Beef and my Mystery Black.
This is almost 3 and half days, not even 4 days yet.
Well, I have to get my grow light system out and set it up, soon ..TODAY
The weather, in the middle of our winter is very teasing. Right now @ 4am, it is 60F outside. The forecast calls for high of 72F today. No frost or freeze for the rest of January.
Will Feb follow the suit ?

Happy Gardening !

Last edited by Gardeneer; January 18, 2017 at 04:29 AM.
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18, 2017   #55
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I am going to try few grafting this year too, just to get hooked
Talking about germinating:
On Jan 14th ( around noon ) I sowed 15 varieties of tomatoes (first batch ) .
Starting 8 pm last nigh (1/17) I saw them popping.
Sun Gold was the leader followed by BW Sudduth, Big Beef and my Mystery Black.
This is almost 3 and half days, not even 4 days yet.
Well, I have to get my grow light system out and set it up, soon ..TODAY
The weather, in the middle of our winter is very teasing. Right now @ 4am, it is 60F outside. The forecast calls for high of 72F today. No frost or freeze for the rest of January.
Will Feb follow the suit ?
I don't know which I fear more that February will be terribly cold or that we could continue this mild weather. I'll never have my grafts ready in time if this kind of freaky warm weather persists. I'm pretty sure we will see a lot more cold before spring moves in but down here you just never know. So far we have only had less than 7 days where it got below freezing but I can recall other winters where we only had 7 days of freezing nights. I always hated the summer that followed because the pests were unusually bad after those mild winters and fusarium was worse also.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2017   #56
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Wanted to come back here and share some early observations now that the plants have been in the ground for a little over three weeks.

When all was said and done, I ended up with three varieties with one plant on DR0141TX and a second on RST-04-106-T -- Buddy Runyon, San Marzano Redorta, and Nudi Family Heirloom. So far they are of equal size, their growth habits are the same, and the number of flower trusses pretty equal with blossoms now opening on both.

Based on what I'm seeing so far, if you have F and V, but no Bacterial Wilt, I'd say DR0141TX is a good alternative to RST-04-106-T, which covers you for BW but not V.

I have one Santa Maria plant in my raised bed on RST-04-106-T and my husband has a non-grafted Sant Maria in a 7 gallon grow bag. They too have about the same number of trusses/open blossoms, but the ungrafted plant is taller.

All the rest of my plants are on DR0141TX and the varieties I've grown before seem to be exhibiting typical growth.
Old July 24, 2017   #57
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default V and Probably F -- Which Rootstock?

And here we are at the end of July, and three of the four plants on the RST-04-106-T rootstock are just about done for. The classic yellow to brown V pattern started showing up on the lower leaves about two weeks ago, and it's been downhill since then.

They have their early set fruit hanging, still green except for two on Santa Maria that are blushing, but they are wilting and quickly turning into crispy critters. A slight bleach spray mishap last week seemed to just speed them towards the end.

The one exception, so far, is the San Marzano Redorta on RST-04-106-T which is still looking good. I find this odd as San Marzano varieties have never done well in my garden before!

All the plants on the DRO141TX rootstock are still doing great despite the bleach spray on a "cloudy all day" day that suddenly turned into a bright, sunny day... they have great new top growth and are still setting fruit.

So I would say the presence of Verticillium has been confirmed. Since both rootstock have F resistance, jury is still out on F, but based on past experiences, I still highly suspect it's there.

I have enough DRO141TX seed to take me through next year. And in the meantime, if anyone gets their hands on some of the new RST-04-107-T rootstock for next year, I'd love to hear about the results.

http://www.dpseeds.com/node/292

Last edited by Father'sDaughter; July 24, 2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old July 24, 2017   #58
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

My heart sank when I read this today. However, I am glad you found out that it is Verticillium. It is better to know than not. I did look up DRO141TX rootstock, and looks good for what you are dealing with.

If I can afford some of the RST-04-107-T rootstock, I'll send some your way. You can use it on eggplant too...hmm.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25, 2017   #59
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Here is a nice link to root stock's and what they are resistant to.

http://www.vegetablegrafting.org/wp/...e-sept-131.pdf
Old July 25, 2017   #60
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Default V and Probably F -- Which Rootstock?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Here is a nice link to root stock's and what they are resistant to.

http://www.vegetablegrafting.org/wp/...e-sept-131.pdf

That's a great place for anyone looking for rootstock to start, and here is there updated list showing some new ones - http://www.vegetablegrafting.org/tom...otstock-table/

The problem is that many of them don't seem to be widely available, and before doing anything you really do need to go back to the seed producer's websites to verify resistance. And you need to do this even if you are on one of their vendor's sites as they sometimes don't get the list of what it's resistant to quite right....