Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating fruit-bearing plants, trees, flowers and ornamental plants.

Old July 5, 2017   #16
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

I'd have said:

1. Cornflower
2. Monkey Flower (Mimulus). It's a cute native!

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 5, 2017   #17
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Yes, the other is Mimulus ringens known as Monkey Flower. It recently changed families and names so it was difficult for me to look up under it's old name of Scrophulariaceae.
Old July 5, 2017   #18
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

I went outside and looked closely at part of a blossom that had fallen off the "Monkey Plant". I saw two eyes., so identity confirmed.

I thought that it was a very pretty blossom, now it is kind of creepy. I can't imagine enjoying one of the more prominent monkey face blossoms looking up at me. The plant does indeed like its current location, nice and wet and shady. It's still in a tray up against the house, under the hose bib and shaded by a giant Burning Bush.

I will take more pics of the 1st and 3rd as they bloom.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #19
coldframer
Tomatovillian™

The Cupid's Dart is a great plant, well-behaved for me. Can't think of the name for the second plant...
coldframer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #20
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Lisa, I have been wondering about what you have. It is very nice that some have been identified. I do hope you enjoy them.

When I first this thread back a few months ago, I thought to myself, I have ten acres of Native Perennial Weeds Without them, the ground would be bare.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #21
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

I don't know that 9 was identified, but I am pretty sure it is milkweed for Monarch butterfly attracting. I have it all over my yard.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12, 2017   #22
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenthumbomaha View Post
The fuzzy leaf plant in the first picture grew to this and then flowered. Any idea what it is?

I'm also curious as to the three plants in the next photo. The small plant at the bottom is sweet woodruff, the middle phlox?, and the top??

- Lisa
The first picture is "for sure" Cupid's Dart. I found one at the garden center dollar sale and brought it home to spread the love.

Some of the other plants above that I thought were milkweed are also turning out to be Money Plant.

Still more to bloom.

- Lisa
Old August 22, 2017   #23
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

A new chartreuse plant popped up in a few pots and now one is in bloom.

The smaller woody plant was from an exchange, and I would like to know what it is. It was holding its own but not thriving in the shade, so I moved it to a sunnier spot.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg new perennial or weed.jpg (369.0 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4509-1.JPG (190.8 KB, 105 views)
File Type: jpg unk swap plant.JPG (190.8 KB, 105 views)
Old August 23, 2017   #24
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

The chartreuse plant is talinum limon. I love adding it to my planters for the bright green foliage as well as the airy pink flowers. Seeds are easily saved for next season.
nancyruhl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27, 2020   #25
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

An update that I don't have any survivors from these plants, except for two which turned out to be a
straggler vine type shrub that grew tall and and flopped over, covering every plant in it's way.

I have tons of horseweed in another area - sand by the lake. There is so much weed seed that as soon as it gets pulled, a new forest pops up overnight.

The last pic, the talinum limon did not survive the season, but seeds were acquired via swap and I still have them reseeding in a pot bring out in summer and I overwinter in the house. They started reseeding in another pot this summer, but it was too biologically active having been sitting in the ground to bring in.

I came back searching posts for the name (again) to see how to start them indoors. Harris Seeds is selling 100 seeds for $18.99. I must have $200 worth in my vacuum cleaner bag. Its just beautiful in bloom. Thank you, friend, for the treasure !

- Lisa
Old November 30, 2020   #26
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

Crazy price for those seeds. I start them from saved seeds every spring. By the end of the season, the plants are a bit raggedy looking. The seeds are very small, so it takes some time to get them to transplantable size, they always make it there in time for planting my containers.

I have extra seeds if someone is interested.
Old December 1, 2020   #27
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyruhl View Post
Crazy price for those seeds. I start them from saved seeds every spring. By the end of the season, the plants are a bit raggedy looking. The seeds are very small, so it takes some time to get them to transplantable size, they always make it there in time for planting my containers.

I have extra seeds if someone is interested.
I am if no one else needs them... I would like a few if you do.
Old December 1, 2020   #28
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

You will love this plant, Carolyn. I have a giant paper "tarp" under the plant to catch seeds. The challenge in saving seeds is to catch them after they ripen but before the pod splits open and the tiny black seeds fall to the ground. Once you have a plant growing and you are vigilant in monitoring the flowers, you will never be wanting for more seeds.
Nancy, and Miss S if you see this, do you know how long they are viable for under normal household conditions?

- Lisa
Old December 8, 2020   #29
nancyruhl
Tomatovillian™

I don’t know how long the seeds are viable. I have occasionally skipped a year, then grew out saved seeds the following season, and they sprouted. I let the the balls dry on the stems and then, at the end of the season, harvest and pop them open to collect the seeds