Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old July 6, 2017   #1
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Default 2017 Muddy Bucket Farm Update

I've been held up by a number of issues from health to weather. But, I've finally got a few things to show, even though we're about a month behind. Took these pictures this morning.

Here's a few of the containers we've generated. I'm using last year's wood chips as a mulch this time around.

DSCF0001.JPG

I also have put out 10 straw bales with two plants each. That container is a Big Boy and it has about a dozen fruit set on it.

DSCF0002.JPG

Our oldest apple tree is loaded up and the fruits are about 3 inches in diameter as of today.

DSCF0004.JPG

My old compost pile has half a dozen volunteers in it. I just let them come on if they can.

DSCF0005.JPG

Planted some red cabbages as well as the usual green cabbages this year.

DSCF0007.JPG

I've never had a Dwarf Project plant do this before. I can't wait to see where this goes. Yes, that's a mega-bloom among the other blooms on top of that stalk.

DSCF0010.JPG

One of my bell pepper plants got an early start.

DSCF0009.JPG

I also have some jalapenos blooming their butts off.

DSCF0012.JPG

The Blue Lake beans are flowering and setting beans. Most years we have already harvested and pulled the vines by this time.

DSCF0013.JPG

I've got about 90 tomato plants in the main garden, and some are setting lots of fruit.

DSCF0014.JPG

I'm a month behind my normal flow, but I've still got a lot of time to get the harvest flowing in.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #2
bower
Tomatovillian™

Aha you saved the biggest maters for last! I just love that pic of the apple tree... really wish I could grow me some apples.
Don't forget, you need to eat one a day!!!!
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6, 2017   #3
MdTNGrdner

Looks great CT - and with this heat and rain it will catch up quick! Your compost spot will look much different in a few weeks Ours is overrun with 'maters, squash, tomatillos, and watermelon.
Wishing you better health and a bountiful harvest!
Old July 6, 2017   #4
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTNGrdner View Post
Looks great CT - and with this heat and rain it will catch up quick! Your compost spot will look much different in a few weeks Ours is overrun with 'maters, squash, tomatillos, and watermelon.
Wishing you better health and a bountiful harvest!
Thanks, neighbor.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old July 6, 2017   #5
MissS
Tomatovillian™

I have been wondering about you. I have not seen you posting much and was getting concerned. I'm glad to see that the gardens are up and going. They have plenty of time to still provide. The most important thing is your health, so please take care.

Stay well my friend.
Old July 8, 2017   #6
Bipetual
Tomatovillian™

Howdy, Ted! Glad to see you've got everything growing; I'm sure down there you will have plenty of season left to work with. Hope you're feeling well and enjoying your garden.
Bipetual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2017   #7
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

Nice, Ted - greetings from Raleigh! Looking forward to your Zooty reports....I am only growing one dwarf from that line, but it's really promising!
Old July 9, 2017   #8
Rockporter
Tomatovillian™

Looks great Ted and it's good to see you here.

~Margaret Atwood~

Rockporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2017   #9
sjamesNorway
Tomatovillian™

Hey Ted! Good to see you posting,and your garden's looking great. Hope your health issues aren't too serious. My Big Orange Volunteer is a vigorous thick-stemmed plant with loads of flowers, and it makes the Sun Gold plant next to it look like a wimp. I'm looking forward to comparing the taste.

Steve
sjamesNorway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10, 2017   #10
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Great garden Ted! I hope it's the best season ever for you!!
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #11
MdTNGrdner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjamesNorway View Post
My Big Orange Volunteer is a vigorous thick-stemmed plant with loads of flowers, and it makes the Sun Gold plant next to it look like a wimp. I'm looking forward to comparing the taste.

Steve

Wait, there's a Big Orange Volunteer?!?? Please, do tell!

Saw a post of yours on another thread, Container Ted, and wanted to check in on you and your garden. Hope it and you are having a fine time!
Old October 24, 2017   #12
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Hi Ted. I enjoyed eating your family heirloom orange tomato this summer. Glad you are around and keeping very busy.

Now if someone could please tell me how to view Ted's pictures without having to change computers ... I'd love to see them! This is a random problem for me, not just your post , Ted.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2017   #13
MdTNGrdner

Lisa, not sure if it's the same problem I sometimes have, but if you click on the picture link and you get a msg saying that you must be signed in to view, just sign in (again), and then you can view the pics. I only have to do this once in a while; other pictures show on the screen without links... ?? Good luck!
Old October 25, 2017   #14
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

I always resize my pictures down to 1000x750 pixels (or smaller) and then upload them to the website. After that, they.re out of my hands.

Lisa - I'm glad folks are still growing Maiden's Gold.

Keep watch here, folks. I'll have a new update in a few days that will include some new releases. Here's a teaser.

Last year you saw the release of "Pappy's Dream" which was named to honor my late father. Well, now it's time for my late mother. "Mammaw's Treat" will be available soon.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

Old October 26, 2017   #15
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

In the above post there was no link, even though I'm obviously logged in and posting. An example of my screen follows:

Here's a few of the containers we've generated. I'm using last year's wood chips as a mulch this time around.

I also have put out 10 straw bales with two plants each. That container is a Big Boy and it has about a dozen fruit set on it.

I can see photos just fine from another computer. The laptop I am on sometimes tries my patience. - Lisa

Name: DSCF0001.JPG Views 238 Size 148.1 KB

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; October 26, 2017 at 11:38 PM. Reason: Well copying it didn't work very well. A manual entry is below my signature.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote