Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old May 27, 2017   #31
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

The below is the original post and is erroneous. I was mixing two product labels in my head.

For some reason, the label on Spinosad says it is for spider mites in some vegetables, but, doesn't mention that it treats them on tomatoes. Has anyone found that it doesn't work on spider mites for tomatoes? Label error? Spider mites have arrived with the recent heat and its time to get after them quickly!

Last edited by Dewayne mater; May 28, 2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Incorrect
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #32
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Trust me..... There are no label errors on what the spray is approved for. It costs a gazzillion dollars for each approved. Plant and pest is is labeled for
Not that it won't work. Just that the cost to add another plant and pest to the label (which prohibits me fro using it on a crop it isn't labeled for) can be in the millions for an fda approval. Which then means I need to have several of identical products on my shelf with different labels so I can spray more than the crops listed on one bottle legally since I also sell produce.
Old May 28, 2017   #33
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by b54red View Post
I use between 2/3rds and 3/4 of a cup of food grade DE for every gallon of spray I am making. I mix it first in a separate jug and then pour it through a strainer into my sprayer then add the other ingredients and extra water to make the amount I am looking for.

I don't see why you can't add Spinosad without any problems. I add Permethrin and Dawn and if I need to use a copper spray at the time I am using it I will add that and have had no problems.

I find spraying much easier than dusting and just as if not more effective but then I am applying it to a lot of plants. If it is a bit windy which it always seems to be this time of year dusting can be challenging to say the least. I do use it in my duster when I don't have many plants to treat and don't want to mix up a small batch for spraying.

Bill
Thank you Bill. Your advice is always so helpful you are a wealth of experience! I used a pretty fine strainer and did not get much in it but no clogging with my sprayer. The DE does settle fast so constant motion is good but too much active shaking and the Dawn turns into soap suds
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #34
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewayne mater View Post
For some reason, the label on Spinosad says it is for spider mites in some vegetables, but, doesn't mention that it treats them on tomatoes. Has anyone found that it doesn't work on spider mites for tomatoes? Label error? Spider mites have arrived with the recent heat and its time to get after them quickly!
I use Monterey Insect Spray, and the attached label includes tomatoes with "fruiting vegetables".

Last edited by Shrinkrap; May 28, 2017 at 02:43 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #35
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrinkrap View Post
I use Monterey Insect Spray, and the attached label include tomatoes with "fruiting vegetables".
This is correct. My mistake.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2017   #36
BigVanVader
Tomatovillian™

I use the Monterey as well.
BigVanVader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30, 2017   #37
Shrinkrap
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe this was four weeks ago! Update of the leaves in pictures 4,5. The plants have been in dappled shade, and we have had temps 90 and 100 can+.Seems under control with Neem Oil. Going to try Monterey Insect Spray too when it cools off this evening.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14988577909562109579879.jpg (469.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1498857806982700693175.jpg (422.6 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 1498857846041468583872.jpg (405.3 KB, 32 views)

Last edited by Shrinkrap; June 30, 2017 at 05:32 PM.
Shrinkrap is offline   Reply With Quote