Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 6, 2013   #31
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Worth, if lavender is your favorite tasting tomato color, I want one of what you're having. (So that I can taste in psychedelic colors, too!)
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #32
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by livinonfaith View Post
Worth, if lavender is your favorite tasting tomato color, I want one of what you're having. (So that I can taste in psychedelic colors, too!)
Lavender tomatoes???

The clue may be in Worth's avatar.

I think he crossed cannibis with tomacco, fed them with "Release the Hounds" fertilizer, and watered with discharge from the Springfield nuclear power plant.

I don't think I want one of what he's having.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #33
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Wow I cant believe nobody has lavender tomatoes but me.

I have had seeds for these for many years, I got them from a cousin that was living in San Francisco back in 1967.
Story has it that he got them from some wizards that were living in the park.

They had a magic pipe and a magic potion that they also gave to him.
The instructions were to plant the seeds smoke the magic pipe and take the potion.
If the tomatoes started to have a paisley pattern you needed to lay off the potion till they tuned lavender.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 8, 2013   #34
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

I have had seeds for these for many years, I got them from a cousin that was living in San Francisco back in 1967.

The instructions were to plant the seeds smoke the magic pipe and take the potion.
If the tomatoes started to have a paisley pattern you needed to lay off the potion till they tuned lavender.

Worth
Worth,

Was your cousin "Puff The Magic Dragon" by any chance?

Ted
Old July 9, 2013   #35
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Well, it is funny because Stump of the World is my favorite overall, and it is a deep pink. But my favorite color of tomatoes is green. I haven't met a GWR yet that I didn't like. My favorite green is Humph. I'm not growing it this year though. I'm growing Garden Lime. Someone (maybe Nicky) brought it to the Buffalo~Niagara party last year, and it was fantastic. I'm also growing Spears TN Green, Max's Large Green, and (partially green) Captain Lucky.

And Worth, you are too funny!
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #36
tedln

Quote:
Originally Posted by remy View Post
Well, it is funny because Stump of the World is my favorite overall, and it is a deep pink. But my favorite color of tomatoes is green. I haven't met a GWR yet that I didn't like. My favorite green is Humph. I'm not growing it this year though. I'm growing Garden Lime. Someone (maybe Nicky) brought it to the Buffalo~Niagara party last year, and it was fantastic. I'm also growing Spears TN Green, Max's Large Green, and (partially green) Captain Lucky.

And Worth, you are too funny!
Remy
Remy,

Stump is also one of favorites. I was pleasantly surprised last year to discover Fred Limbaughs Potato Top is very much like stump, but considerably more productive.

I believe this vine had twenty three or twenty four tomatoes on it. Some are hidden behind other tomatoes.

I've always had a mental block about green tomatoes so I've never eaten a GWR. I don't know why, but it seems green tomatoes in my mind should either be fried or pickled. If you wanted to introduce someone new to the type, which one or two would you suggest they grow and why? I will try them next year in my garden.

Ted

Last edited by tedln; July 9, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
Old July 9, 2013   #37
remy
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedln View Post
Remy,

Stump is also one of favorites. I was pleasantly surprised last year to discover Fred Limbaughs Potato Top is very much like stump, but considerably more productive.

I believe this vine had twenty three or twenty four tomatoes on it. Some are hidden behind other tomatoes.

I've always had a mental block about green tomatoes so I've never eaten a GWR. I don't know why, but it seems green tomatoes in my mind should either be fried or pickled. If you wanted to introduce someone new to the type, which one or two would you suggest they grow and why? I will try them next year in my garden.

Ted
I've never tried Fred Limbaughs Potato Top, but the amount of fruit on your plant is fantastic!
For GWR, a few I would recommend (of ones I have already grown a full season at least once) are all ones that get a yellow hue to the skin when ripe so they are easier to identify as ready to eat.
Humph- small sized beefsteaks, productive, amazing mix of flavors
Malachite Box - super productive, sweetest GWR I've had, actually starts to get an orange hue when ripe
Cherokee Green, also really productive, excellent flavor that I love more than Cherokee Purple, only downfall is like Cherokee Purple, you need to eat right away. They get over ripe fast.]
Remy

Yes, we have a great party for WNY/Ontario tomato growers every year on Grand Island!
Owner of The Sample Seed Shop
remy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #38
livinonfaith
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Worth
Well, that explains it then! I have quit smoking, so no lavender tomatoes for me! (I only smoked tobacco products, anyway.)

Also, I think your cousin may have met my cousin. He swore he went to wizard school back in the early nineties. Now he's middle aged, like me, and grows tomatoes, too.

Since not only are they not lavender, they are mere common hybrids, I'm going to assume he has lost standing with whichever deity (or illegal substance) he once communed with.
livinonfaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #39
Tormato
Tomatovillian™

Ted,

I had the same mental block with GWR tomatoes for 5 years. Then I tried Green Giant, and the mental block was over. Unfortunately, I've since tried a few other GWR's, didn't care for any of those, and the mental block is back, with the exception of Green Giant.

Green Doctors and Green Doctors Frosted are out there tempting me, though.

Dr. Lve Apple
Tormato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 9, 2013   #40
Gavriil
Tomatovillian™

Pinks and oranges Bi/tri colors

Hungarian, Black Krim, Pink Berkley Tie-Dye, Jubilee orange, Eva Purple ball, Tigerella, Black Prince, Brandywine Pink, anything big and Pink

in the future maybe Some of them blue ones or white or green

As long as their big, beautiful and uniform. Taste comes in 4th
Gavriil is offline   Reply With Quote