Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old May 18, 2013   #1
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

Default I love the new dwarfs!

I just wanted to thank all those who have been instrumental in developing the dwarf varieties. I'm growing 6 different varieties and they are amazing! Easy to manage, tons of fruit and the fruit is wonderful, although so far I've only tasted Sleeping Lady.
I will be planting mostly dwarfs from now on except a few cherry varieties.
If you come up with something similar to Matt's Wild Cherry, black cherry and green doctors, I may only grow dwarfs.
In my climate the portability of 5 gallon containers is so helpful. I can bring them in if its too cold or too hot, greatly extending my season.
This will be a huge help in the fall. I can plant in pots and wait until its comfortably cool to put them out rather than trying to get seedlings through the 110 degree days in mid-August. I can also move them in if frost threatens early.
I was able to put three Sleeping Lady plants in pots and planted them last October. I brought them in when we had a week of hard freezes this January and now I've enjoyed a bunch of fruit earlier than ever before.
When I first heard of dwarf varieties they didn't make much sense to me, as I had in my mind the tiny varieties used for little pots. Once I learned more about them, they seemed perfect for our climate, since we basically have two very short seasons unless you can move pots indoors. I still had no idea how productive they would actually be.

Last edited by Tracydr; May 18, 2013 at 02:26 PM.
Tracydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2013   #2
mdvpc
Tomatoville® Moderator

I am sure others that were involved in the Project will post here, but glad you like them! The tomatoes in the photo on my avatar are 5 of the varieties.
Old May 18, 2013   #3
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

I just got in from tying some of the plants up because I failed to put cages on them earlier. They are so loaded with tomatoes. I swear, one of them has more tomatoes than plant! I've never had any plant produce like this. I think the one that has the most is a Beryl Beauty.
Old May 18, 2013   #4
SharonRossy
Tomatovillian™

I am about to plant Tasmanian chocolate and Iditarod Red, and I can't wait. I bought seeds for next year as I only heard about the dwarf project late but I think I may completely become a total convert!
Sharon
SharonRossy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #5
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
I am about to plant Tasmanian chocolate and Iditarod Red
Grown both and excellent choices. Don't let the word "Dwarf" fool you. Yes the plants are small but more attention is needed in supporting the fruit trusses than you would find with indeterminates or determinates as these plants will load up with fruit and if it is not supported will break off. Photo's of Iditarod Red.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2287.JPG (172.3 KB, 186 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2288.JPG (200.4 KB, 178 views)
File Type: jpg PC-IMG_2289.JPG (189.0 KB, 183 views)
Old May 19, 2013   #6
akgardengirl
Tomatovillian™

The fruit looks to be much bigger than any of my Iditarod Reds. Mine is more of a saladette size. The plant is loaded!
Sue
akgardengirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #7
amideutch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
The fruit looks to be much bigger than any of my Iditarod Reds. Mine is more of a saladette size. The plant is loaded!
My bad. Sue, you are right the plants in the pictures are Yukon Quest.

Ami
Old May 19, 2013   #8
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I'm the only vendor at my farmer's market who sells dwarf tomato plants. Few people I meet know what they are, so we immediately have something to talk about. Most of my varieties are hybrids. I did have German Extreme Dwarf Bush this year and it looks to be doing well. Yukon Quest is now on my list for next year. Thank you for posting those pics.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #9
Tracydr
Tomatovillian™

One of my Summertime Greens is getting close to picking. I've never had GWR before, can't wait to taste. I'm a little worried that I won't pick them at the right time. It's so packed with fruit that I can hardly find them. The foliage is thick, too which makes it harder to check.
I love that these plants have such thick foliage. It really prevents sunburn, something that's a huge problem in AZ
Old May 19, 2013   #10
COMPOSTER
Tomatovillian™

You folks have me very excited about the dwarf tomatoes. Although I grow most of my vegetables in beds I love to have 10-12 pots of tomatoes and peppers on my deck. The dwarfs seem custom made for just this application. I'm growing Rosella Purple, Mr Snow and New big dwarf. Which one would you suggest I add next and why?
COMPOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #11
Lee
Tomatopalooza™ Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracydr View Post
One of my Summertime Greens is getting close to picking. I've never had GWR before, can't wait to taste. I'm a little worried that I won't pick them at the right time. It's so packed with fruit that I can hardly find them. The foliage is thick, too which makes it harder to check.
I love that these plants have such thick foliage. It really prevents sunburn, something that's a huge problem in AZ
Summertime Green looks like this:

Sometimes you'll notice a pink blush on the blossom end when fully ripe. You can also tell by gently feeling, as it's softer when ripe.
My personal favorite of all the GWR dwarves.

Lee

Cuostralee - The best thing on sliced bread.
Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #12
Riceloft
Tomatovillian™

I grew Yukon Quest and Iditarod Red last year in 5 gallon containers. They were very productive. I'm in love with the growth habit. In a 8' long raised bed I've got 6 in a row (compared to squeezing 4 regular sized tomatoes in, against the advice of many!). This year I'm growing the following dwarves:

Yukon Quest (x2)
Iditarod Red
Sweet Sue (x2)
Rosella Purple (x2)
Sarandipity Cherry F7 (x2)
Dwarf Golden Heart F8 (x4)
Tasmanian Chocolate

I somehow misplaced my Arctic Rose seeds otherwise I'd have 1-2 of those as well.
Riceloft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2013   #13
nctomatoman
Tomatoville® Moderator

They are easy to love (until they load down with fruit and are in grow bags in the middle of the driveway)....gorgeous plants, for sure.

Interest in them is growing (no pun intended) - I had all 17 released ones as seedlings this spring at the Farmers Market and sold loads of them - looking forward to people's impressions, but those who grew some last few years came back for many more this year.
Old May 20, 2013   #14
ScottinAtlanta
Tomatovillian™

Good threat, but isn't the word "dwarves", as in "I love the new dwarves?"
ScottinAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2013   #15
Qweniden
Tomatovillian™

A couple of hopefully not overly stupid questions. I know that generally that a few people here are involved with this project but I don't really know anything about it.

1) What are the advantages of the dwarf plants? Container growing?
2) Are they typically determinate or indeterminate?
3) Where do people get the seeds?
Qweniden is offline   Reply With Quote