Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old January 2, 2013   #1
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

Default Micro Tom.... In a cubicle??

Hey everyone... I am pondering here a little, I was thinking about buying the "Micro-Tom" just because they are amusing! However, as I sat at work, looking at the 4' fluorescent light that is mounted about 24" above my desk, a thought began to form. This thought was to this Micro-Tom growing in a nice little ceramic pot on my desk. It would get light from 8-5, and the office lights stay on much longer.
Soooo...... does anyone think it may even set fruit? It would be pretty cool if I could get tomatoes to grow, but I have a feeling it just is not enough.

Thoughts? Hints?? Thanks for everything!
Firefyter-emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #2
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Go for it. You'll probably end up wanting more than one. The only problem I see is that the cleaning folks might want to sample too much. You might also think about some of these that I think have a much better taste.

Tiny Tim
Florida Basket
Pinnochio
Tumbling Tom (Red and also Yellow)
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2013   #3
WillysWoodPile

Chia Tom! It sounds like a fun project, and with Micro Tom being a[n almost] spitter, in my opinion, you won't have to worry about anyone stealing any.
Old January 3, 2013   #4
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

I would consider adding to the light situation with a 100-watt equivalent (26 watt electricity) spiral florescent bulb, the daylight spectrum type. Maybe put it in a small goose-neck lamp and keep the bulb 2-3 inches above the plant.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2013   #5
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockhound View Post
I would consider adding to the light situation with a 100-watt equivalent (26 watt electricity) spiral florescent bulb, the daylight spectrum type. Maybe put it in a small goose-neck lamp and keep the bulb 2-3 inches above the plant.
I agree with rockhound, You do need more light than just a desk lamp "at your convenient need for light" for a tomato to set fruit and a good 12 hours of light a day, too. So, get a lamp and keep it close for better control. A florescent doesn't generate the degree of heat that would hurt it, so keep it as close as you can and turn it every day if need be. A timer in the outlet will help if there is no one to turn it on and off and for the weekends.
Old January 3, 2013   #6
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

I don't think adding light will fly. I "might" be able to sneak a timer on the one that is there. But that could still raise "issues" with management. I work for a large insurance company, so they won't tailor to my "gardening needs" shall we say.

I will go for it, I mean... worst case, it doesn't set fruit, Right?

FYI, the light at my desk is mounted under a book case and is 24" off the desk. It's a full 4 foot "shop light" size light fixture.

Last edited by Firefyter-emt; January 3, 2013 at 11:49 AM.
Old January 3, 2013   #7
FarmerShawn
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefyter-emt View Post
I don't think adding light will fly. I "might" be able to sneak a timer on the one that is there. But that could still raise "issues" with management. I work for a large insurance company, so they won't tailor to my "gardening needs" shall we say.

I will go for it, I mean... worst case, it doesn't set fruit, Right?

FYI, the light at my desk is mounted under a book case and is 24" off the desk. It's a full 4 foot "shop light" size light fixture.
That should work - just raise the plant up so it is a couple of inches underneath the light. Then the only problem to solve is the length of time it gets the light.
Old January 3, 2013   #8
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

Yea, I can easily make a plant stand to raise it up a bit. Also, while the direct light over it will go off at 5pm, I think the stay on late into the evening for the night crew.

I will update as they grow... may even get some others in on it!
Old January 4, 2013   #9
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I have not tried tomatoes, but I have grown hot peppers in my cubicle for many years. In U.S. I had a windowless office, but there was overhead file cabinets with fluorescent lights underneath them. I had same Bolivian Rainbow growing and producing peppers over four years. When the plant was smaller I stacked CD cases under it to get it about 5” from the light. I had a timer for the light, so that it was on about 12 hours a day. Since there was no bees, I had to take care of pollinating the flowers by hand. I had a ritual of ‘having sex in the office’ every morning.

Now my desk is close to a window, but still there is no direct sunlight. I have a Thai Bird Pepper on a shelf by my desk about 3 feet below a light. It has been growing fine since last spring, but it has not yet flowered. I have also a Peter Pepper plant by a window in the office area and from that we got quite many peppers last summer. I dehydrated them and ground them to flakes, which we use to spice up our packed lunches at the office.

This year I may try also a tomato plant. I just have to get seeds for some small variety, since most of the ones I have are too large to be grown indoors. I use self watering containers for peppers, so same could work for tomatoes too.
Old January 4, 2013   #10
rockhound
Tomatovillian™

Just remember light uses the "inverse square law". A plant get twice the light from a source 4 inches away as it does from one 8 inches away, etc.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2013   #11
WVTomatoMan
Tomatovillian™

Yep, you can do it. But, there are a couple of things you might want to keep in mind.

1) Light. Instead of bringing the light to the plant why not take the plant to the light? In other words stack up some unused books or something to raise the plant closer to the light. If you have access to a window sill stick it there when you have a chance etc. Be creative in giving the plant as much light as possible.

2) Air circulation. This is more important than a lot of people think. If you don't have good air circulation you won't have good fruit set. Consider one of those personal fans or perhaps give the plant(s) a good shaking several times a day. Again be creative.

Good luck.

Randy
WVTomatoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2013   #12
Firefyter-emt
Tomatovillian™

Awesome! I can't wait to get started!
Old January 4, 2013   #13
WillysWoodPile

In my opinion Red Robin would be the best choice. It has the best flavor of the "smalls" and can take lower light conditions.
Old January 5, 2013   #14
OmahaJB
Tomatovillian™

Knowing how offices can be (I've worked at several businesses where I worked in a packed in office in a cubicle), I'm wondering if anyone would complain. If they can smell the soil or plant itself they might complain to management, possibly without even talking to you about it first.

I worked at one business where the owner said the women were not allowed to have flowers on their desks on Valentine's Day if they received them, because some people have allergies, and it might bother someone.

There were times I thought about doing something like that but didn't because of how difficult some of the women I worked with were. And I say women because I worked almost exclusively with women at most of the places I worked.
OmahaJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2013   #15
svalli
Tomatovillian™

I found old Red Robin seeds and planted some of them today.
We have leased green plants at the office and had to cut some cost, so half of them were removed. I told then that I can bring my own plants and take care of them without extra cost. Our floor does not get much outside visitors, since I am at engineering, so nobody really cares how stylish our area looks as long as it is comfortable working enviroment. So far nobody has complained about my pepper plants and I believe that nobody in our department would have anything against a tomato plant either. We have 20 guys and 3 gals in my floor and quite relaxed athmosphere.
Our company makes parts for renewable energy production, so growing edible plants in the office should fit fine to the green image. Some other place I would ask permission from management or co-workers before bringing plants to office.