Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 11, 2013   #16
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Its been tough here in northeast for 2 summers. I am just looking for a few plants from Brads seeds i grow his every year. Even today my plants are not over 36" tall, 1 stem plants.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2013   #17
edweather
Tomatovillian™

Just to keep things in perspective. Big numbers are impressive, but even a 40-40-40 (which I don't think is even possible because it adds up to more than 100%,) is only a 1-1-1 ratio, and all one has to do is put less on their plants if they want less. Also the directions on the package are 'usually' geared to getting the right amount applied. One of my pet peeves is all the talk about tomatoes not needing alot of nitrogen. They need plenty of it for the first half of their life, and then I agree, less after that during fruiting. Also growing in containers is alot different than in the ground, and yes most people grow in the ground, but for containers mucho fertilizer must be used because alot of it washes out. For my container tomatoes I give them about as much of MG 24-8-16 as they can take until they reach the top of the cage and then back off, and I'm switching over to the Texas Tomato Food.
Old July 11, 2013   #18
FILMNET
Tomatovillian™

Yes, my plants on top are growing nice after using MG , and I have flowers and fruits from last week. So I am growing like last year so far! and hope to get new flowers and fruits on the new tops, growing fast. Before give any plant disease's late July.
FILMNET is offline   Reply With Quote