Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old October 17, 2020   #16
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

We did have a slight frost this morning,I did cover my radishes and the few that were not covered on the edge of my garden survived without any damage.We have a week of warmer weather during day and nights with rain in the forecast.Hoping to get a few more weeks of growth and they should be good size.Overall they did well.
cjp1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2020   #17
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It is really still out there so I took the time to drape everything important with some old ag19. Lots of peppers to pick, and butternut, but haven't had time. I'm glad you posted the other day, got me looking ahead and I had it planned out for the end of a long day.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2020   #18
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

It was a pretty good frosting out there an hour ago, still icy now. The AG19 is frosty, underneath is not. Definitely worth the effort.

The daikon uncovered looks okay, but some champion radish that are still in the garden are instant wilts. Some uncovered sweet potatoes were affected. Parsnips look like they will wilt back. I hope the red beets are okay, they are excellent right now, but I didn't cover them, since they are not in the yard here.
Old October 18, 2020   #19
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

[QUOTE=JRinPA;760185]It was a pretty good frosting out there an hour ago, still icy now. The AG19 is frosty, underneath is not. Definitely worth the effort.

The daikon uncovered looks okay, but some champion radish that are still in the garden are instant wilts. Some uncovered sweet potatoes were affected. Parsnips look like they will wilt back. I hope the red beets are okay, they are excellent right now, but I didn't cover them, since they are not in the yard here.[/QUO Hope things work out for you,I have not heard much about a forecast for this coming winter but if I recall right the Weather Channel said more a mild winter expected.But who knows?Sounds like you may be in a lower elevation than myself.I sit above the Cuyahoga Valley.Have a friend south west of me about 15 miles away that has his garden in a lower elevation that had frost twice in the last two weeks.
Old October 19, 2020   #20
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

About 600ft here. I never thought much about it mattering for frost. There was about 3/16" of skim ice in the wheelbarrows and buckets. It was super still the night before, and the carport thermometer had read 36-37F at midnight. The garden sweet potatoes leaves that were the top layers have turned dark, almost black. The ag19 seemed to protect everything it was used on. I still haven't checked the peas at the comm garden. The ag19 may have blown off the pea trellis there, since it was windy yesterday. I'm heading over there now. I have peas corn red beets butternut still in over there.
Old October 19, 2020   #21
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Peas look fine, frost kissed pods on the edges. They are not developing fat peas at all like springtime. Sweet corn looks like it's stuck for a week at tender kernel stage and won't turn ripe. I wish I had done transplants instead of seed for that late patch. Mostly it was just too dry I think, particularly right after seeding. Last year I had similar timed corn and it did well enough in the raised bed, but it got more water. Red Beets look fine through the frost. Parsnips mostly look fine. Butternuts look okay because I had pole beans climbing over top. The pole bean leaves turned dark instead. I picked them today, two good trays.

The daikon, especially the beds I seeded earlier, heavily, and watered, look just fine.

This is probably the latest I have pushed the garden with so many different crops.
Old October 19, 2020   #22
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like you have a large variety of vegetables. I have not tried green beans but was thinking of adding them next spring.I have a small 200sq.ft garden and just grow tomato,pepper,cucumber and some basil.My Grandson loves Green Beans.With my small space I want to try some bush beans but will have to see what grows best in Northeast Ohio.Looks like you had a productive garden.Hope you can get a little more time for it.We are going to warm up into the 70's Thu. and Fri. then back to highs in the 50's for the next 10 days.
Old April 9, 2021   #23
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Hey cjp did I send you some parsnip seed? I think I did but not positive.

I dug these out today. They were broadcast along with a bunch of other stuff early last summer. After 10 months, these are the last to be harvested from that planting!

I found a few daikon too, putting tops back on, but they were only about 3" long and 1/2" wide. This year I need to get the daikon in the ground in August.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (146.3 KB, 48 views)
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (87.5 KB, 48 views)
Old April 11, 2021   #24
cjp1953
Tomatovillian™

Yes you did,those look great!I need to get mine in earlier too.I usually turn things under 3rd week of September.I wait till my tomato plants are damaged by cold nights.Thanks again for the seeds!!!!Hope you have a great 2021 garden!