Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old July 23, 2014   #16
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Gynoecious (Female flowers) and parthenocarpic (seedless) . both terms for this type of sterile cucumber. Produces almost exclusively female blossoms and requires no insect or hand pollination.
cucumbers can be susceptible to blossom end rot, as in tomatoes a problem due to difficulties with the distribution of calcium within the plant. draught stress etc can cause it. The plant itself looks nice and healthy so this may just be a problem as it begins to produce that will straighten itself out on it's own. keep evenly moist, fertilize and see what happens.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2014   #17
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnewste View Post
I am using TTF on my Sweet Success and Diva cukes with excellent results.

Raybo
Looking great as always Ray!
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #18
Urbanfarmer
Tomatovillian™

Hi......cukes have been an interesting learning experience. We have grown both gynoecious and monoecious varieties.The former are mostly female with 10-15% male pollinator plants thrown in.The males are usually a different colored seed so that you know you have planted them. Otherwise you end up with all females and no cukes.

Monoecious have both male and female flowers on the same plant. On both types we had to use q-tips to get good pollination. Well, we kind of got tired of that and tried a pathenocarpic variety called Bologna and loved it. See the link below. It's a big english-type, greenhouse cuke that is so prolific and easy to grow that we just stick with it. Expensive seed, but you more than get what you pay for. Effortless cuke production, and 2 plants produce more than our family can possibly eat. We give half away.

http://paramountseeds.com/product/cucumber-bologna/

Paramount seeds also sells some very good bell pepper seed. We have grown the Fantasy variety below with tremendous results.

http://paramountseeds.com/product/pepper-fantasy/

Urbanfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #19
tnkrer
Tomatovillian™

Thanks UrbanFarmer. I will certainly look into Bologna. Just because it says its greenhouse, does not mean it has to be grown in greenhouse, right? Anybody in Northeast have any experience with it?

Also thanks for your fast shipping. I ordered TTF on Wednesday and I received it today. I will feed the plants with 1/2 recommended strength. Since there were fertilizer strips in the earthtainers, I am not feeding anything full strength. One question I had was, can I drop it in the water reservoir and will it wick up just fine or do I need to drench the soil with the fertilizer

Thanks

ETA: Holy Moley .. Those are some costly seeds!

Last edited by tnkrer; July 26, 2014 at 03:02 PM.
tnkrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #20
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

Unless those cukes are something special, I would stay with Diva. You may want to add Sweet Success to your list for next year as well. Reasonably priced at Jung Seed (100 qty.):

http://www.jungseed.com/dp.asp?pID=0...ybrid+Cucumber

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26, 2014   #21
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

We've had too few fruit from Diva, too many from S Success. This year, Corinto is just right.....
decherdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27, 2014   #22
rnewste
Tomatovillian™

...sounds like the story of "Goldilocks and the Three Bears"

Raybo
rnewste is offline   Reply With Quote