Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old February 7, 2016   #31
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
I'm not in the video, Worth. Mr. Hurley Combs could be me though, because he seems to love soppin' cat head biscuits in squirrel gravy.
That's what I've been thinking reading this entire thread. Fried up good & crunchy with biscuits & gravy.
Great video I remember seeing that show on TV.

And you guys are right on the coyotes. Shoot them on sight. We rarely see them during daylight hours but can walk out the back door and hear them most any night.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #32
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat62 View Post
That's what I've been thinking reading this entire thread. Fried up good & crunchy with biscuits & gravy.
Great video I remember seeing that show on TV.

And you guys are right on the coyotes. Shoot them on sight. We rarely see them during daylight hours but can walk out the back door and hear them most any night.
The other day I had a big pretty cat in my yard and went across the street to see if it was theirs.
The woman answered the door and she came over to see if she could get her cat.
I have never met the woman but have talked to her husband many times but she always waves at me.

We got to talking about predators eating our pets and I told her that if she heard a gun go off at night here it was me killing a fox or coyote.

Her husband is an avid hunter and a Texan as well as she and she had no problem with it.

I keep a little 28 gauge with number 6 next to me all of the time outside at night.
No bullet is going to go into anyone's house and it is safe.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #33
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

I won't shoot a fox but them coyotes better look out.
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #34
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Maybe some don't know, so I will say it. Everyone has a right to protect they're property.
Hellmanns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7, 2016   #35
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmanns View Post
Maybe some don't know, so I will say it. Everyone has a right to protect they're property.
Right in our city codes it is legal to do it.

One stupid cop tried to tell a friend of mine to put his pistol away in his own yard he told them to get lost.

Worth
Old February 7, 2016   #36
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Right in our city codes it is legal to do it.

One stupid cop tried to tell a friend of mine to put his pistol away in his own yard he told them to get lost.

Worth
As he should have!
Old February 8, 2016   #37
madddawg
Tomatovillian™

This may solve your squirrel problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-sLi9W4QXU

If not anything else you will have some fun with them. A claybird thrower works too!
Old February 9, 2016   #38
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Laughed my head off about the bear and the magic teeth post. So funny.

Deer season is over here and small game has started. Last count I took I had almost 30 squirrels. Over population and not enough nuts for them. A couple of the guys who hunt for food came down to get the population here down to a manageable size.

They only managed to get one that was out sunning on a limb. Every other one on my place and next door had disappeared. Those guys were out their for almost 4 hours and not a single one would come on out.

They cleaned it and four people shared a meal of squirrel and dumplings. More dumplings than anything, but they all had a taste anyways.

Dumb question. What is so bad about the coyotes? Neighbor says we have two running around here and a whole slew of racoons. He says he can go out at night, turn on his big spotlight and the racoons will climb all in the trees.

There has been so much clear cutting that we are starting to get critters we never did before.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 9, 2016   #39
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Coyotes eat calves livestock and your pets.
This is horrible but I have seen one of our cows growing up as she was giving birth to a calf the coyotes ate it as it was coming out.
So there was a half eaten dead baby calf that still wasn't delivered all the way we had to pull it.

Is that graphic enough I hate them with a passion.

Worth
Old February 9, 2016   #40
Hellmanns
Tomatovillian™

The last two animals on earth will be a coyote and a buzzard. Then, the coyote will play dead and catch the buzzard.
Old February 10, 2016   #41
Deborah
Riding The Crazy Train Again

I hate coyotes too. I saw a dead one on the freeway the other day. Good riddance.
"The righteous one cares for the needs of his animal". Proverbs 12:10
Deborah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #42
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I got a troublemaker name Gizmo. Well, he's the wife's dog not mine. But to his credit he is half Yorkshire Terrier, he's fast and he has teeth like needles. He's 11 lbs of rodent executioner. His favorite hobby is shredding rabbits and squirrels though I get to clean up the mess....but I dont mind so much. He generally keeps the barbarian rodents outside the moat these days.

006.jpg

097.jpg
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #43
Rockandrollin
Tomatovillian™

Like the original poster, Jarrod, I am also fighting squirrels except mine are ground squirrels. I would love to find a solution that is safe for people and pets. I think that poison would be the most effective but worry about secondary poisoning of neighborhood pets. I've been able to kill the most by trapping, but even in good trapping year that I got 52, all I am doing is thinning the population.

Things I have tried:

Macabee gopher traps in the burrow openings: I've caught a lot this way, but probably about 75% tripped traps with no squirrel. Reminds me about Worth's comment about the squirrels shutting off the electric fence.

Home made 5 gallon water bucket trap: This originally was quite effective. One day I got 6 of them. Then the magpies discovered them and would eat all the peanut butter bait. Tried a wire cage over the trap and also burying the bucket to ground level with a plywood box over it. Apparently the squirrels had a town hall meeting and discussed the perils of these traps as I caught very little afterwards.

Havahart live trap baited with peanut butter: Caught quite a few, but effectiveness wore off.

Conibear #110 trap at burrow opening: This was awkward placing it over burrow and also a 5 gallon bucket over it to protect neighbor hood pets. These are wicked traps. I need a better game plan of how to exclude pets from getting to them.

Rat traps baited with peanut butter: Caught a few.

Lye or boric acid: Using a flexible funnel, I would put it deep as I could into the burrows. didn't seem to slow them down. The squirrels would push it out in a lot of cases.

Oatmeal with plaster of paris: Mixed one part plaster of paris to 3 parts oatmeal and put in a pvc bait station. They are eating it, but doesn't appear to be slowing them down any.

Rifles: Although I am on 5 acres, the neighbors and roads are relatively close so I am limited to my RWS 48 air rifle and a .22 with bird shot. Got a few.

Water hose into burrow: Some of these burrows would take water for hours and not fill up and the ones that did fill up didn't seem to effect the population.

Gopher gassers: The ones you light, put in burrow and seal burrow to give them the poison gas treatment. No workie.

Vehicle exhaust: Used Pvc pipe to go from tail pipe to burrow. Pipe melted within 10 minutes, DOH!

Rodenator: Would love to try this or something similar, but have heard they can damage pvc irrigation pipes.

I would love to hear what you have used effectively. If your solution is one that you are afraid to post here, PLEASE pm me.
Rockandrollin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27, 2016   #44
henry
Tomatovillian™

Propane air is lighter this might not be a good plan for smokers :]
Old February 27, 2016   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry View Post
Propane air is lighter this might not be a good plan for smokers :]

Tell me about it.
I saw one guy pull out his Zippo and light a cigarette at an oil well and then went to put the lighter out buy tapping the lid on his leg before it went into his pocket.
Poof!!!

Oh no we told him you are supposed to put the lighter out at head level the gas is at your waist.

This was a long time ago back when people did crazy stuff.
Worth