Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old June 1, 2012   #16
tam91
Tomatovillian™

This is new to me, never had slugs at home (thankfully!). I'll make sure whatever I do is not dangerous to the dog, of course.
Old June 13, 2012   #17
Eric02476
Tomatovillian™

Earwigs will also eat chard (they also enjoy my collards and kale). Their damage is usually fairly large, ragged holes in the middle of the leaves, but sometimes slug-like on the edges. Best way to find out what's chomping the chard is to go out well after dark with a flashlight (as late at night as possible, when it's completely dark). If it's earwigs, I trap them (google it) or use D-earth as a dust or perimeter agent (an organic control)

I don't grow exclusively organic either, but I don't like putting poisonous chemicals on any part of a plant I will be eating.
Eric02476 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2012   #18
tam91
Tomatovillian™

This garden isn't at my house, so running around after dark probably isn't going to work in this case.
But I put some Sevin on and around it, and it seems to have solved the problem - the chard is going great, without any new holes.
Old June 13, 2012   #19
Tonio
Tomatovillian™

row covers......... no bugadges
Tonio is offline   Reply With Quote