Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Forum area for discussing hybridizing tomatoes in technical terms and information pertinent to trait/variety specific long-term (1+ years) growout projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old April 6, 2018   #1
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

Default Determining color in rin lines

My brain has been working on this with no results for a while.

I've been playing with rin lines for several years, working on getting stripes and the Aft genes I want in rin lines so that I can someday make F1 ESL hybrids with the appearance genetics that interest me. Last year I finally got a F2 that had all three in it at a saladette size, this year I have 18 more F2 rin lines going out and 10 more F1 crosses with a rin/rin parent.

What I'm curious about is that I've intentionally made crosses with the full color palette of tomatoes at my disposal, as I want to someday be able to make F1's in various colors as well.

The challenge I have is how can I tell which color genes are present in a non-ripening line other than by crossing it to stable recessive color lines to see what the resulting F1's are?

As it is I can only come up with making selections for phenotype at F2 and then the following season making multiple crosses then growing those out to attempt a determination as to the color genes in the rin lines. Is there any other option?
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote