Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old July 23, 2018   #1231
Salsacharley
Tomatovillian™

I, too, am very interested in how this works out. I understand that fermenting raw tomatoes doesn't come out well. I made tomato wine 2 years ago that was epic, but I added even more sugar to get a complete ferment. I haven't attempted to ferment straight tomatoes, which like most fruit go to alcohol or vinegar due to high sugar content.

I apologize for going off topic here. I just realized it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
Sounds interesting. I hope it stands up to the lactic acid.
Salsacharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2018   #1232
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Update: most of my Karma pinks are still green - and getting bigger! I would say the fruit in the earliest truss in the EB is definitely leaning more saladette, while those in the smartpot look like cherries.

No blushing yet, so I think they will continue to fatten up!

Last edited by JosephineRose; July 24, 2018 at 01:10 AM.
JosephineRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1233
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salsacharley View Post
I, too, am very interested in how this works out. I understand that fermenting raw tomatoes doesn't come out well. I made tomato wine 2 years ago that was epic, but I added even more sugar to get a complete ferment. I haven't attempted to ferment straight tomatoes, which like most fruit go to alcohol or vinegar due to high sugar content.

I apologize for going off topic here. I just realized it.
No apology necessary, it's interesting and I'm glad you said this. I learned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
Update: most of my Karma pinks are still green - and getting bigger! I would say the fruit in the earliest truss in the EB is definitely leaning more saladette, which those in the smartpot look like cherries.

No blushing yet, so I think they will continue to fatten up!
Saladette. Mine never got that big. I love seeing what these are doing in other climates. Thank you for growing them.
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1234
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

On average my KARMA pink is bigger than Black Cherries. Some KP are 1 ounce and some are smaller. I am OK with it, easier to pick.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1235
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

My first ones are biggest usually also some are up to golf ball size and then they settle into extra large cherry size for me.
I like them large, they are easy to pick and big flavour comes with the thick pericarp and the big size that is a result. These were purposefully selected not to be thin walled and seedy like many cherries. They are more like a small sized Very flavourful big beefsteak and taste like one to me as well. Not the one to grow if small cherries are what you are looking for.
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1236
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

KARMA Apricot F6:
Large Indeterminate potato leaf plants produce lots of bicolour yellow and pink cherries. Like KARMA pink, they are very large and meaty with a thick pericarp. Flavour is fruity, complex and delicious. Clear epidermis
The fruit go from yellow to an pinky-apricot colour on the exterior which will darken to almost all over pink when extra ripe.
I think these are ready to trial next year in a similar way that gardeners are trying KP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E549B855-20C7-495D-9D38-717DB3A3EAF9.jpg (431.0 KB, 91 views)
File Type: jpg F17B6B2F-524E-42F7-9BA8-A5170228E1B6.jpg (517.1 KB, 92 views)
Old July 24, 2018   #1237
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
My first ones are biggest usually also some are up to golf ball size and then they settle into extra large cherry size for me.
I like them large, they are easy to pick and big flavour comes with the thick pericarp and the big size that is a result. These were purposefully selected not to be thin walled and seedy like many cherries. They are more like a small sized Very flavourful big beefsteak and taste like one to me as well. Not the one to grow if small cherries are what you are looking for.
KarenO
Oh I love the look of them. Amazing! I actually dislike small cherries. I can’t wait for these to ripen.
Old July 24, 2018   #1238
JosephineRose
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
KARMA Apricot F6:
Large Indeterminate potato leaf plants produce lots of bicolour yellow and pink cherries. Like KARMA pink, they are very large and meaty with a thick pericarp. Flavour is fruity, complex and delicious. Clear epidermis
The fruit go from yellow to an pinky-apricot colour on the exterior which will darken to almost all over pink when extra ripe.
I think these are ready to trial next year in a similar way that gardeners are trying KP.
Oh my, sign me up! Of all your descriptions of the Karma lines, Apricot was the one that excited me most. Gorgeous!
Old July 24, 2018   #1239
efisakov
Tomatovillian™

Can not wait to try them. Looking delicious.

God comes along and says, "I think I'm going to create THE tomato!”
efisakov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1240
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephineRose View Post
I actually dislike small cherries. I can’t wait for these to ripen.

For me, the KARMA Pink fruit has continued to range from golf ball to ping pong ball size.

And the taste is great... I'm sure you'll love them!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1241
NicolasGarcia
Tomatovillian™

Default KARMA pink

Hello everyone!.
My KARMA pink are big cherries, similar in size to a golf ball, I'm glad they are bigger because I do not like small cherries very much either. As the plant grows the tomatoes are more good tasting, candidate number one to continue planting next season. They're delicious.
Nico
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-07-24_19-05-25-065.jpg (433.9 KB, 89 views)
File Type: jpg 2018-07-24_19-01-23-408.jpg (338.2 KB, 89 views)

Nico.
NicolasGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1242
Koala Doug
Tomatovillian™

Great pictures, Nico!
Koala Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1243
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Nico! So happy you chose to grow them in your Spainish garden.
Even happier that you will choose to plant them again! That is the true test of a new tomato, everyone enjoys novelty but I am so very much hoping to develop tomatoes that could become favourites. You have made my day
KarenO
Old July 24, 2018   #1244
Barb_FL
Tomatovillian™

I will be starting my second season with KARMA Pink in a few more weeks. For size, mine were the size of a ping pong ball or larger.

I love reading about everyone's success growing these and look forward to growing them again and others in the series when they are released.
Barb_FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2018   #1245
clara
Tomatovillian™

3 days ago, my Karma Pink(s) were still green (golf ball size), 2 days ago they became what I would call light red, no change in color yesterday and today, so I decided to wait - although I'm sooo curious to finally try them!

I should add that the ripening in my garden has just started, many varieties only have greenies so far, some even only blossoms.
clara is offline   Reply With Quote