Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

General information and discussion about cultivating melons, cucumbers, squash, pumpkins and gourds.

Old August 2, 2013   #1
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

Default Poona Kheera - well, well, well

Every single year I lose cukes to wilt. I battle cucumber beetles and am lucky to get a few small ones before the plant dies.

This year, I am growing this, and I cannot believe it. I am getting loads of cucumbers, have NO cucumber beetles at all. No idea why, or if it is a fluke, but I'm just thrilled. Actually, I did find 2 beetles, but they were inside the winter squash flowers and have not touched the cukes at all. The vines are huge and prolific and absolutely loaded with yellow flowers, but there must be something else (scent?) that attracts those beetles they don't seem attracted to my cukes AT ALL.

Top it off, the Poona Kheera cucumber is the crispiest cucumber I've ever eaten. Have to peel it, but well worth it. I'll try to take pics before we eat them again lol

Last edited by lakelady; August 2, 2013 at 07:44 PM. Reason: tried to change title!
lakelady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #2
RebelRidin
Tomatovillian™

Default Shhhhhhh

Antoinette,

Don'y say such things too loudly They might hear you. Last year I grew Poona Kheera and only got two before wilt took out the vines.

Again, Congrats on your success but be careful! Bugs have ears or antennae or something that can sense spoken optmism... or something

George

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it’s natural manure."
Thomas Jefferson, 1787
RebelRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2, 2013   #3
bitterwort
Tomatovillian™

Try enclosing them in tents made of row cover from the time you plant them until the first female flowers open. This has worked well for us for the past three or four years, following times when we failed to get any fruits at all thanks to cucumber beetles and wilt.
Old August 3, 2013   #4
JamesL
Tomatovillian™

Antoinette,
I have PK cukes going for the first time too. Awesome cuke! I thought they were slightly better if you pick them a little young. In their case, yellow. Did lose 3 plants to bacterial wilt, no doubt courtesy of the beetles. They only came around in one wave though at the end of June.
JamesL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3, 2013   #5
lakelady
Tomatovillian™

I also have white pickling growing, but they are not as prolific as PK is, and I just love the juicy crispiness of the PK better. Last year I had so many cucumber beetles even with several traps and me catching and killing I could not keep up at all. I was sure I wouldn't get any cukes this year, so I am thrilled. Definately growing the PK again it's delicious. I do agree, a little young are better but I let a few get really big for seeds.