Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

SETTFest™ event information and discussion forum. South East Texas Tomato Fest

Old April 1, 2008   #1
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Default South East Texas Tomato Festival (SETTFest) 2008 Announcement

It’s time to announce the second annual South East Texas Tomato Festival (SETTFest) 2008.

What is it?
A gathering of tomato growers and enthusiasts who want to share and taste different varieties of homegrown tomatoes.

When is it?
June 21, 2008
Setup is at 11am
Tasting begins at Noon.

Where is it?
Washington on the Brazos park
20 minutes from Brenham, TX

Who will be there?
Tomato growers, casual gardeners, and tomato enthusiasts from Texas and surrounding areas.

We are currently working on updating the SETTFest website to include information about this year's event.

If you are planning to attend, it would be helpful to us if you could Contact Us at the website, including listing any food items you plan to bring. Iced Tea, Diet Sodas, and Water will be provided, as well as Greek Pasta Salad (we'll pick the best tomatoes and cucumbers and make it right there!). The survey helped us with planning last year.

Last year we had 25 attendees and nearly 90 tomato varieties available to taste. You can view photos of last year's event in our Photo Album.

What better place to hold this event than historic Washington on the Brazos -- the Birthplace of Texas, and home to the Barrington Living History Farm, a working farm that we might all want to visit once we're all tomatoed out.

We hope to see plenty of fellow tomato lovers at the 2008 South East Texas Tomato Festival!

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 1, 2008   #2
BVGardener
Tomatovillian™

If you have not been to the Washington on the Brazos State Park, let me tell you that it is absolutely beautiful out here. In fact, much of Washington county is very scenic. If you happen to take 290 to get to the park and come close to getting on hwy 36, do so. You can then take Scenic 390 (I'll have to confirm the number) and that is a spectacular drive.

Jay
Old April 1, 2008   #3
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

It's also about 20 minutes from Chappell Hill, TX which has a really nice restaurant -- Bever's Kitchen

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
Old April 1, 2008   #4
creister
Tomatovillian™

Don't forget the Blue Bell Creamry.
Old April 1, 2008   #5
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I think I will be home then if so it will mean I get in Friday and then off to Washington on Saturday.

It takes me a while to get settled in after being at work and traveling on the plane.

No real sleep for about 40 hours.

If I act strange don't blame me it's just temporary insanity.

I hope I have enough get up and go to bring tomatoes to the event.

The way my tomatoes are going I will have ripe tomatoes on the first of may, they should hold out until the 21st of June.8)

Worth
Old April 4, 2008   #6
Suze
Tomatovillian™

I'm really looking forward to the 2008 SETTFest, and think this will be a better location than we were at last year in Columbus.

Pavillion #2 should have more than enough room. We would rather have a little too much room than not enough, so we decided to go ahead and rent the large pavillion. We were told the approximate dimensions based on someone stepping it off are 70x30 (or 2100 squ. ft). Three sizes of tables -- five 15 ft, four 9 ft, and seven to eight 7 ft tables. There is also electric and a grill or two. Restrooms are less than 300 ft away; both M and F -- 2 sinks and three toilets each. I was also told the restrooms are kept in good working order. Plenty of free parking as well.

Sounds like there are lots of other interesting things to do and see as well if anyone (perish the thought) gets tired of tasting tomatoes. In any case, this could make for a fun mini-vacation for those of you who might have to travel a bit further to attend the festival.
Old April 29, 2008   #7
Deer Park
Tomatovillian™

Dang it! I will miss it again this year. I will be in Alaska from the 19th returning the 30th. I didn't plan this trip the wife did or I'd have been there to add color. Hee Hee! Maybe next year if I'm still here.

And I was going to bring a couple hunderd varieties to taste test. LOL

My garden is usually on the down side by then so the birds can clean up while I'm gone.

Hey Worth1, I'll wave at you in the sky somewhere between Texas and Alaska. LOL

Michael
Old April 29, 2008   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

What a shame. Maybe next year then.

I would be happy to pick up some tomatoes for the tomato tasting so people get to try out these varieties you have been maintaining and listing in the SSE for so many years.

Old April 29, 2008   #9
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer Park View Post
Dang it! I will miss it again this year. I will be in Alaska from the 19th returning the 30th. I didn't plan this trip the wife did or I'd have been there to add color. Hee Hee! Maybe next year if I'm still here.

And I was going to bring a couple hunderd varieties to taste test. LOL

My garden is usually on the down side by then so the birds can clean up while I'm gone.

Hey Worth1, I'll wave at you in the sky somewhere between Texas and Alaska. LOL

Michael
Oh no not another tourist in Alaska.
Enjoy yourself if you have never been there you are in for a real treat.

I'll wave back and will miss you at the tomato gathering.

Worth
Old June 5, 2008   #10
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Can you believe we are a little over 2 weeks away from the 2nd annual South East Texas Tomato Festival?

Please fill out the Survey at http://www.SETTFest.com/ if you are planning to attend.

Please don't hesitate to contact me or Suze if you have any questions about getting to the event or any other questions such as lodgings in the area.

Hope to see you all there!

Old June 5, 2008   #11
snappybob
SETTFest™ Coordinator

We tried to get a room in Brenham about a month ago and everything was booked up for some reason. WE wound up getting a room in Navasota.
Old June 20, 2008   #12
foolcontrol
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try and be there tomorrow. I have a few different things going on tomorrow.
Old June 20, 2008   #13
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

Eric,

Really hoping to see you there tomorrow. You drummed up some of the first interest in having a tomato tasting here and I heard you did not grow many (or any?) tomatoes this year. There will be around 150 varieties.

Old June 21, 2008   #14
Suze
Tomatovillian™

Just a brief report for now, more later. I'm a little tired and I bet Morgan is too.

Mountaineer Mystery was informally voted the best tasting tomato at the event. This variety came from Deer Park's garden. The best tasting cherry type was Brandysweet Plum, with Purple Haze F2 as a close second.

A big thanks to everyone who attended!
Old June 21, 2008   #15
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Glad you all had a good time.

As for me I had other business, I went into Austin and picked up my new Triumph loaded it in the back of my truck came home unloaded it and went for a ride.

Sorry I couldn't make it but you have to get your priorities straight.8)

Worth