Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 21, 2017   #1
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Default Nematodes and Lacewings

This is most likely the new reality I live in since I move to Texas a few years ago. So my predatory/beneficial nematode and green lacewing pest management method is proving to be very effective and reasonable in terms of application, maintenance and cost in controlling what I consider the most irritating insect since the mosquito...... Thrips. For 3 years now I have battled this nearly invisible pest and for one reason or another , I lost the battle. Of the dozen or so tomato plants I have grown each year since I move here I never got a harvest of more than 50 or 60 tomatoes.

This year is off to a good start and maybe, just maybe I will have something to boast about
OzoneNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #2
Southfl
Tomatovillian™

How many lacewings did you release in your garden?
Southfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #3
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

1000 lacewing eggs on little black paper cards
Old April 24, 2017   #4
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Can you remind me of your source for lacewings and bene nems? I'm trying to remember where I ordered some benes in the past but, can't pull it up so far.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2017   #5
kayrobbins
Tomatovillian™

I just ordered Green Lacewings from Arbico Organics. I use to have so many of them but last year and this year I have not seen any. I got the 1000 eggs and it was $16 with free shipping.
kayrobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27, 2017   #6
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

Dewayne! Good to see you again
I only get my nematodes from http://www.naturescontrol.com. I got lacewings from them and also from Arbico and one other supplier I found on amazon. Lacewing eggs are easier to come by and price seems to vary somewhat.
Also, I find the nematodes application once or twice is sufficient for the season if you apply them early and 3 or 4 lacewing deployments about 14 days apart. Nice thing is the lacewings are fairly cheep and so far this year I have needed NO insecticide of any kind. Very pleased so far. I found thrips again this year but I applied nematodes and lacewings right away and so far I see very little leftover damage and no NEW damage from thrips. I am ready to deploy more lacewings tomorrow once it warms up.... cold spring this year it seems yes? Feels like spring when growing up in NY

Last edited by OzoneNY; April 28, 2017 at 01:29 PM.
Old April 28, 2017   #7
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! It has been colder in April than it was in February and March - bizzare indeed. That said, since winter ended with our last freeze on January 8, we've had quite a lengthy Spring! I think that's good for tomato production and I"m hoping to keep everything as healthy as it is right now - yeah right! Good luck this year.

By the way, if I can find it, the place I ordered bene nemes last year had a second type of nematodes they recommended for warm weather like we have from late May until the hot weather gets here.
Old April 28, 2017   #8
OzoneNY
Tomatovillian™

I wish I could get nematodes locally
Old April 29, 2017   #9
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

I have occasionally seen them at Calloways in a refrigerator.