Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 17, 2017   #1
agee12
Tomatovillian™

Default Tetanus Shot and What Else?

I am a newbie gardener and randomly came across that gardeners should get tetanus shot / boosters and am going to ask for this at my doctor's appointment on Thursday, is there anything else I should ask for?

Thanks.
agee12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #2
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

A discount?

My clinic keeps wanting to give me a tetanus shot. Neither I nor the nurse can explain why since I'm not at risk. But if you're working in dirt, it's a good idea.

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #3
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

actually now it's a mix of things.
I stepped on a nail last year and it was a combo shot of 3 things.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #4
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yeah Slugworth. It's a combo shot of Tetanus, Diptheria and Whooping Cough.

It seems the docs are really pushing Tetanus shots these days, probably to make Big Pharma even more rich. I run in the opposite direction.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Tetanus is a horrific disease entirely preventable with a simple immunization. It is available both I. It's own as well as in combination with diphtheria and whooping cough. Recommend For everyone.
Google a video of a patient with tetanus. Thanks to vaccines, a rare occurance.
Incidentally most cases of whooping cough in infants comes from adult relatives so a booster is a good idea not only for yourself but any children you may care about as well.
Karen

Last edited by KarenO; April 17, 2017 at 02:45 PM.
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #6
bower
Tomatovillian™

We were talking about this not long ago... iirc horse manure was mentioned as increasing the risk of tetanus, however it takes a deep puncture wound to get infected I think.
Rusty nail is infamous.
Boosters are recommended, but afaict it's also necessary to go get shots immediately if you did have a wound, so left me wondering what the booster was good for, then.
Better safe than sorry is a good motto I guess.

I like my gloves, and hobnail boots too. Ok not exactly. I'll pick up them nasty sticks and pull the nails out.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #7
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I didn't get a shot immediately.By the next day I could barely walk.
My doctor back in the 80's blamed horses.
All nails you step on will be rusty,unless they are galvanized.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #8
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Tetanus lives in dirt, and gardening involves sharp tools, so it's a good idea. (Here in Lyme disease country, tick bites also occasion a tetanus shot along with the gut-busting antibiotic, doxycycline. No one at the doctor's office could explain why I needed a tetanus shot for a tick bite, but it's now the health department-issued protocol.)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #9
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

http://holisticsquid.com/when-to-get-a-tetanus-shot/

It seems that many health care professionals are promoting tetanus shots right now. Perhaps they didn't read the above link.....

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #10
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

This is timely for me as I stepped on a rusty nail that appeared out of nowhere on my deck yesterday evening. I had tennis socks on. I normally don't go outside without shoes, as I just plain don't like it. I didn't bleed, but I saw an indentation on my foot and it did ache for several hours. I was grabbing a few trays near the door to take in for the night.

I have lots of allergies to antibiotics, and I was told I was allergic to tetanus. Many years ago someone playing sand volleyball bumped in to me and his foot slid over mine. With the pain and sand abrasion it was quite an owie. I went to the er and although they suggested a tetanus shot, the procedure would have been to hospitalize me and give me small doses. I declined. Hopefully I dodged a bullet yesterday too.

You just never know. BTW I have had Lyme disease and the course of treatment I received while in NY was extended treatment with what is now called a z-pac. It is to knock down the lyme bacteria itself. A tetanus shot was also discussed.

- Lisa

Interesting article. Thank you Linda. Like gambling depending on your injury.

Last edited by greenthumbomaha; April 17, 2017 at 06:22 PM.
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #11
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

Perhaps I did look at that link but the Holistic Squid does not sound like any kind of reliable scientific journal to me and not something I would risk my health on.

My grandfather died of tetanus - I'll take the vaccine. You can listen to the squid if you choose.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #12
bower
Tomatovillian™

I went looking for some stats. Also figured out, the booster and the shot given after the fact are not the same thing. First is immunization; second is an anti-toxin treatment.
Stats:
Older people have the highest incidence, and that is due to lower immunization profile. Didn't get our boosters! CDC points out that the decline in cases was also associated with the shift from rural to predominantly urban lifestyles. Better wound care protocols may be a factor as well.
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vpd-me...onnels-eng.php

Canadian stats show a clearer association between the introduction of the vaccine and the decline in cases. Nowadays risk factors recognized as diabetes, injection drug use, animal bites. Cases included blunt trauma and no wounds, not only punctures. Scary description of the disease!
http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/im/vpd-me...onnels-eng.php

World Health Organization makes the point, that tetanus can not be eradicated, because it remains ubiquitous in the environment. Neonatal tetanus is still a problem in developing nations. Also says "People who recover from tetanus do not have natural immunity and can be infected again and therefore need to be immunized."
http://www.who.int/immunization/diseases/tetanus/en/

I do think it makes sense for gardeners, farmers, involved in manuring the ground and generally getting lots of exposure to tetanus spores, to get the booster if you want to be safe (if you're not allergic! or opposed by conviction). The anti-toxin treatment may save your life, but anything to reduce the severity would be worth it, IMO, so it's booster for me, whenever, ifever I get to see a doctor again.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #13
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

If you look on the maps were this stuff uccurs you will see alomist nonting in the US or with developed countries.'
It is in the 3rd world countries.

This is because we have shots and health care.
Take it for what it is.
Many if you guys think of me as an idiot skeptic but I am not all the way am a realist.

Modern medicine has done wonders for us.
Don't turn your back on it.
Many people died horribly back in the so called good old days.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #14
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
If you look on the maps were this stuff uccurs you will see alomist nonting in the US or with developed countries.'

Take it for what it is.
Many if you guys think of me as an idiot skeptic but I am not all the way am a realist.

Worth
agree 100%.
Even if ever there is a risk , the benefits out weighs that.
Say somebody is taking a cancer treatment drug. It might have some side effects, but the alternative (avoiding it ) is sure dying from cancer. Just an example to prove the point.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #15
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Take it for what it is.

Worth
I've seen graveyards from the 1800 where lot of people died really young. Lot of children too! . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote