Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old April 16, 2017   #1
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Default Is this TSWV??

I saw similar pics on Lee's post.
Saw it first time this morn. Going to get Daconil on it asap!
OR should I pull it!

It's a Aunt Ruby's German Green!!

Greg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170416_121635.jpg (361.5 KB, 240 views)
File Type: jpg 20170416_122917.jpg (407.0 KB, 238 views)
gssgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #2
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Sure could be. Do you see any thrips?
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #3
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

No, I don't.
Old April 16, 2017   #4
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Thrips are the vector for TSWV. They like the blossoms.
Old April 16, 2017   #5
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

I looked and the plant is bug free. Had one green gnat-ish bug on it but it got squished!
No buds on it Marsha. Only been in the ground 2 weeks. She's still young.

Greg
Old April 16, 2017   #6
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Might be a bacterial thing. Copper spray is good for bacterial as well as fungal.
Old April 16, 2017   #7
b54red
Tomatovillian™

If the plant is that young and it is TSWV then it won't be around for long. It does look like TSWV to me but it could be something else. Give it a spray as Marsha recommended because it won't hurt and it might help if it isn't TSWV.

If the plant just stops growing and the rust keeps spreading then it is pretty likely to be TSWV and a young plant just doesn't have a chance once it gets infected so pulling it is the safer thing to do. I have one right now that I am keeping an eye on for TSWV.

Just because you don't see thrips doesn't mean they weren't there two weeks ago. Usually when I see a bunch of thrips I don't see any TSWV for at least two weeks before the first symptoms occur. I have only seen one wave of thrips so far this spring but I'm sure more will be coming.

One thing I have noticed is that tomato plants with a lighter green foliage tend to get TSWV more often than the varieties with the darker green foliage. I get some plants hit by TSWV every year and I haven't found any way to stop them. I just grow a lot of plants so losing 10 to 20 percent of them doesn't really hurt me other than my feelings. I can't remember the last year I lost less than 10% of the plants I set out. I hope this year will be on the low side since the aphids seem to be as bad as I have ever seen on my peppers this year and there is a weird scarcity of lady bugs this spring. They were everywhere before that late hard freeze came in here a couple of weeks ago but I have only seen one this past week. I hope some of her friends show up soon.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #8
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Bill. Will keep an eye on it and prob make a decision to pull her in the next day or so. Sprayed store mixed copper spray a couple days ago, decided to spray Daconil on it today. We'll see!

Greg
Old April 16, 2017   #9
heirloomtomaguy
Tomatovillian™

I would yank that sucker and dust the entire garden/yard/neighbors property with DE. If in fact it is TSWV it will spread like wildfire and killing the source as in the thrips is the only way to possibly contain it. I have had it before and it is ugly wiped out the whole patch.
“Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it."
heirloomtomaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 17, 2017   #10
shelleybean
Tomatovillian™

It does look like TSWV but I'd keep an eye on it for a couple of days. Is it at the top of the plant? That's where it first shows up for me, then spreads downward very rapidly. As others have suggested, yes, spray and see if it helps. If it starts to move to other branches, pull it. When we have an especially mild winter that might not kill the thrips, I always have some back up plants a few weeks younger to fill in what i have to pull. I wish you luck.
Old April 17, 2017   #11
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by gssgarden View Post
Thanks Bill. Will keep an eye on it and prob make a decision to pull her in the next day or so. Sprayed store mixed copper spray a couple days ago, decided to spray Daconil on it today. We'll see!

Greg
Greg, when in doubt pull it out. Don't risk it.
Old April 18, 2017   #12
Gerardo
Tomatovillian™

Looks like it, rip ARGG
Gerardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #13
b54red
Tomatovillian™

The one that I was keeping an eye on has TSWV. The definite symptoms showed this morning so I will probably be pulling it soon though it does have a decent small tomato on it now so if it looks like it is holding up okay I may leave it for a while. I do not have that overwhelming fear of it spreading due to an infected plant in the garden. In my experience with TSWV it seems like I get waves of thrips for a couple of days then two or three weeks later I see some infected plants. This seems to happen several times a season but I haven't seen any increase in infection due to leaving a plant or two in the garden after affirming they are infected with TSWV. No matter what I do I know before the season even starts that I will lose plants to TSWV. So far my percentage of plants infected is lower than normal but just saying that is asking for trouble.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017   #14
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

She's pulled. And replaced!
Leaves were curling a little, wasn't growing at all compared to the others.
I'm sure it was for the best. Just surprised it hit so early but that's why I plant back ups!!

Greg
Old April 20, 2017   #15
gssgarden
Tomatovillian™

Pics...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170420_181457.jpg (578.3 KB, 133 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_181509.jpg (512.2 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg 20170420_181746.jpg (582.0 KB, 129 views)