Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 10, 2017   #61
upcountrygirl
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn...weelll all this southern country woman can say is that cattle food is good eatin'! Just not something that's ever grown easy in the Carolina clay here. I tend to be rather tenacious concerning vegetables I love to eat that don't do well here though. I've started to see moderate success with broccoli and cauliflower. Here's to hoping it's finally a good rutabaga year!

Andrey... you've just deepened my wander lust for Russia! Not many mushrooms native to my area and the few that are I don't touch because I KNOW that I don't know enough about them to know which ones are safe to eat.

As for my favorite tomato? German Queen...mm mm good! I've grown it here and in Nebraska. In Nebraska when I would take it for my lunch during college courses I had a young man eat lunch with me every day because he swore I was keeping secrets on how to grow giant tomatoes! Lol... All I can say is good dirt, a cage for the vines to grow up, a little hoeing, water, and sunshine. The plants did the rest of the work! I've never read Carolyn's book. I checked to see if our local library system had it... alas, they don't. I've learned there are so many tomato varieties they literally can boggle the mind and more keep coming!
upcountrygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #62
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post
Carolyn...weelll all this southern country woman can say is that cattle food is good eatin'! Just not something that's ever grown easy in the Carolina clay here. I tend to be rather tenacious concerning vegetables I love to eat that don't do well here though. I've started to see moderate success with broccoli and cauliflower. Here's to hoping it's finally a good rutabaga year!

Andrey... you've just deepened my wander lust for Russia! Not many mushrooms native to my area and the few that are I don't touch because I KNOW that I don't know enough about them to know which ones are safe to eat.

As for my favorite tomato? German Queen...mm mm good! I've grown it here and in Nebraska. In Nebraska when I would take it for my lunch during college courses I had a young man eat lunch with me every day because he swore I was keeping secrets on how to grow giant tomatoes! Lol... All I can say is good dirt, a cage for the vines to grow up, a little hoeing, water, and sunshine. The plants did the rest of the work! I've never read Carolyn's book. I checked to see if our local library system had it... alas, they don't. I've learned there are so many tomato varieties they literally can boggle the mind and more keep coming!
I have grown the Gilfeather one,and not bad,but most of the time I used to see them in the stores encased in wax, to make them keep longer.

German Queen? I know it well.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/German_Queen

Carolyn
Old April 11, 2017   #63
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

I'm not from Russia, but from Belarus But I'm Russian
Though Russian forests are even richer especially in Taiga forest of Siberia...

P.S. Sorry Carolyn. Now it looks like you should write a new book about mushrooms

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcountrygirl View Post

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 11, 2017 at 12:27 AM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #64
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Carolyn wrote the iconic book about tomatoes.
Proverb says: Twice into the same river can not step.
I would also have this book. Can someone write a link, where it sold on Amazon ? I would like to bought it.
Vladimír
mY 2ND COPY JUST CAME IN TODAY ALONG WITH Craig's Epic Tomatoes.... I'd send you it but postage is $32.95!!!!
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #65
korney19
Buffalo-Niagara Tomato TasteFest™ Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
I'm not from Russia, but from Belarus But I'm Russian
Though Russian forests are even richer especially in Taiga forest of Siberia...

P.S. Sorry Carolyn. Now it looks like you should write a new book about mushrooms
Andrey, do you have Ramps there?
korney19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #66
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, we call it Cheremsha in Russian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
Andrey, do you have Ramps there?

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #67
Gardeneer
Tomatovillian™

I would think that including some hhybrid and OP would offer more practical choices than just HEIRLOOMS.
Call it (33+33+33 =)99 BEST tomatoes.

Happy Gardening !
Gardeneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11, 2017   #68
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardeneer View Post
I would think that including some hhybrid and OP would offer more practical choices than just HEIRLOOMS.
Call it (33+33+33 =)99 BEST tomatoes.
Have you actually looked at the varieties in my book and I ask since I was asked to write a book about heirloom tomatoes,I talked them into OP's myself, so most are heirlooms,some were bred, but definitely no hybrids, and titles of all four books in the deal between Smith and Hawken and Workman Press was that all four books had to be called.....

100 roses

100 tomatoes.

I forget the other two.

And also why you see four different categories of so called heirlooms being mentioned

And given that there are different definitions of what an heirloom is, I mean Tom Wagner says anything that is treasured, one has to tip toe through all of that.

Carolyn
Old April 12, 2017   #69
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by korney19 View Post
mY 2ND COPY JUST CAME IN TODAY ALONG WITH Craig's Epic Tomatoes.... I'd send you it but postage is $32.95!!!!
So it is also for me a lot. For me, probably better to buy the book in the Amazon, postage from them would be only about eight US dollars.
Korney, thank you for the offer.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #70
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Vladimir, I saw a video recently about the cathedral of St. Vitus in Prague. Built in 1344 and so many mysteries and wonders attached to this place. And secrets. Hoping to learn more about history of it. A very important historical area. . Jimbo
The period of the reign of Charles IV was the golden era of the Czech kingdom. Still Charles IV. the most popular person in this country (the vote in 2005).
The period of the reign of Charles IV was the golden era of the Czech kingdom. Still Charles IV. the most popular person in this country (the vote in 2005).
Charles IV (Czech: Karel IV., German: Karl IV., Latin: Carolus IV; 14 May 1316 – 29 November 1378[1]), born Wenceslaus,[2] was a King of Bohemia and the first King of Bohemia to also become Holy Roman Emperor. He was a member of the House of Luxembourg from his father's side and the House of Přemyslid from his mother's side, which he emphasised, because it gave him two saints as direct ancestors.
He was the eldest son and heir of King John of Bohemia, who died at the Battle of Crécy on 26 August 1346. Charles inherited the County of Luxembourg from his father and was elected king of the Kingdom of Bohemia. On 2 September 1347, Charles was crowned King of Bohemia.
On 11 July 1346, the prince-electors chose him as King of the Romans (rex Romanorum) in opposition to Emperor Louis IV. Charles was crowned on 26 November 1346 in Bonn. After his opponent died, he was re-elected in 1349 and crowned King of the Romans. In 1355 he was crowned King of Italy and Holy Roman Emperor. With his coronation as King of Burgundy in 1365,he became the personal ruler of all the kingdoms of the Holy Roman Empire.
Vladimír
Old April 12, 2017   #71
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Wow. He was a busy man, being responsible for all those countries! Even with help from his officials..
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12, 2017   #72
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Charles IV (Czech: Karel IV., German: Karl IV., Latin: Carolus IV; 14 May 1316 – 29 November 1378[1]), born Wenceslaus,[2] was a King of Bohemia and the first King of Bohemia to also become Holy Roman Emperor. He was a member of the House of Luxembourg from his father's side and the House of Přemyslid from his mother's side, which he emphasised, because it gave him two saints as direct ancestors.
He was the eldest son and heir of King John of Bohemia, who died at the Battle of Crécy on 26 August 1346. Charles inherited the County of Luxembourg from his father and was elected king of the Kingdom of Bohemia. On 2 September 1347, Charles was crowned King of Bohemia.
On 11 July 1346, the prince-electors chose him as King of the Romans (rex Romanorum) in opposition to Emperor Louis IV. Charles was crowned on 26 November 1346 in Bonn. After his opponent died, he was re-elected in 1349 and crowned King of the Romans. In 1355 he was crowned King of Italy and Holy Roman Emperor. With his coronation as King of Burgundy in 1365,he became the personal ruler of all the kingdoms of the Holy Roman Empire.
Vladimír
Talk about delivering " big time"!. Easy to see why this man was chosen most popular.! As usual you knocked it out of the park Vladimir . That's American slang for going above and beyond the norm! The history of your country is exciting to learn. Thanks so much for this. Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16, 2017   #73
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Look at those gorgeous mushrooms! I love wild mushrooms, which we have lots of in our forests here in Oregon.
Old April 16, 2017   #74
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

I think the knowledge of which mushrooms to pick, and which ones not,is handed down through the generations.

On my maternal side my Grandmother was from Sweden, Uppsala to be exact, and my Grandfather's family was from Germany. So I exhibited hybrid vigor when I was born.

My Swedish grandma had cousin who lived not far from where I was raised.Her name was Edith Rockenstyre,I can't remember her husband's name, he had died ,a And Edith had two adult kids,Marjorie and Junior, yes,that's what he was called, and they had a dairy farm with many cows and acres of pasture.

My mother and I used to go there to pick mushrooms, there were many,especially the ones growing in cow plops,ahem, she had learned from her Swedish mother,who probably learned from HER Swedish mother when they were back in Sweden,what was safe and what wasn't safe.

We all lived after going a mushrooming.

At the same time there was a huge commercial distribution center not far from our farm where my father took what we grew to sell.Same for all the other farmers in our area.

In the Hudson River valley there were many commercial mushroom farms , they were grown in real caves,that also sold them in that same distribution center and mom would ask my father to bring some home.

They were in wooden oval containers with metal handles above the wooden cover and were the typical what are called button mushrooms, we loved them, and I still do today.

But IMO NOT as good as the various tastes of the wild ones.

End of story.

Carolyn
Old April 17, 2017   #75
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

If I was not such a crazy tomato man, I'd been crazy which daily walks in the woods and collects mushrooms. Like me pictures collected mushrooms and I wonder how mushrooms grow in your world.

Maybe it would be nice to start a new thread in Miscellaneous Edibles, such as "Mushrooms in the woods"
Vladimír