Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Member discussion regarding the methods, varieties and merits of growing tomatoes.

Old April 9, 2017   #46
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
I believe we should double an amount of varieties in the second edition, because as it said above there are so many color groups and very good old and newly discovered varieties from over the world, including Siberia which is in Russia itself, Mark.

To write a really good competent powerful book is very hard thing which requires much time and passion.
It's quite difficult to do that being 30-50 y.o., having family, growing children, official job, business trips, serving your garden, managing seed trades or ruling a seed company like Tanya. You have just no free time even to think about that. And of course, we all should be heathy to live and follow our hobbies.
I wish Tanya and Carolyn a very good or at least a better health. Growing our babies (tomato) makes our life much more positive and joyful.
Andrew, I read that a person can stay in any forest, or camp anywhere and swim in any lake in Belarus. I find that fascinating!. Is this still true today? Also, I had no idea there were bison there. . Jimbo
Jimbotomateo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #47
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Yes, it is almost like that with some exceptions (about a hundred from our 10000 Belarusian lakes are State security territories with restricted to camp areas).

You can swim, camp or pick mushrooms almost everywhere in Belarus or Russia.

Bison (Zubr) living area is situated near Belarus-Poland border in Brest region mostly in the National Park Belovezhskaya Pushcha/Bialowieza Forest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia%C5...%C5%BCa_Forest

And you don't need a visa if you would like to have a short-term visit (up to 5 days) to Belarus. It is like that since this year if you arrive via Minsk National Airport.

Come and see our great nature and tomatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbotomateo View Post
Andrew, I read that a person can stay in any forest, or camp anywhere and swim in any lake in Belarus. I find that fascinating!. Is this still true today? Also, I had no idea there were bison there. . Jimbo

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 10, 2017 at 01:31 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #48
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Carolyn wrote the iconic book about tomatoes.
Proverb says: Twice into the same river can not step.
I would also have this book. Can someone write a link, where it sold on Amazon ? I would like to bought it.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #49
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrey_BY View Post
Yes, it is almost like that with some exceptions (about a hundred from our 10000 Belarusian lakes are State security territories with restricted to camp areas).

You can swim, camp or pick mushrooms almost everywhere in Belarus or Russia.

Bison (Zubr) living area is situated near Belarus-Poland border in Brest region mostly in the National Park Belovezhskaya Pushcha/Bialowieza Forest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia%C5...%C5%BCa_Forest

And you don't need a visa if your would like to have a short-term visit (up to 5 days) to Belarus. It is like that since this year if you arrive via Minsk National Airport.

Come and see our great nature and tomatoes
Amazing Andrey, there's nothing I'd like better than to visit your wonderful country. If I ever get the chance, I will. So happy that you and your family live in such a great place. Jimbo
Old April 10, 2017   #50
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
I would also have this book. Can someone write a link, where it sold on Amazon ? I would like to bought it.
Vladimír
Vladimir, I saw a video recently about the cathedral of St. Vitus in Prague. Built in 1344 and so many mysteries and wonders attached to this place. And secrets. Hoping to learn more about history of it. A very important historical area. . Jimbo
Old April 10, 2017   #51
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

it's the same here in my country, Jimbo.
One can camp, wander, and forage berries & mushrooms almost everywhere (not in the immediate vicinity of private houses, of course)..
This is the case in much of the Northern and Eastern Europe.

See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
NarnianGarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #52
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Some restrictions apply - lighting fires is only allowed by landowners' permission, or in designated areas (camping sites and campfire stations along the path in nature parks)
Old April 10, 2017   #53
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Someone should write a book called 100 Heirloom Rutabagas for the American Garden.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #54
ginger2778
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
Vladimír
Vladimir I just found this, and they will ship to anywhere in the world. US buyers can get free shipping over $10.00, for others reading this. This is a used one for $6.99.
https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/smith-...9&idiq=8802551

And this one for $3.99 used on Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Hawken-...merican+garden
ginger2778 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #55
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

Thank you Marsha. I will give the task my son to bought this book. He is accustomed to buy over the internet, I do not.
Vladimír
MrBig46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #56
Jimbotomateo
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by NarnianGarden View Post
it's the same here in my country, Jimbo.
One can camp, wander, and forage berries & mushrooms almost everywhere (not in the immediate vicinity of private houses, of course)..
This is the case in much of the Northern and Eastern Europe.

See here https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_to_roam
I'd love to pick mushrooms and berries there. . I'd need a guide so I wouldn't pick the bad mushrooms!. I'm envious of your freedoms and wish it was that way here. I'm currently watching the tenth episode of Bordertown. It takes place in Finland and the scenery is amazing . . Thanks for the link, very informative and enlightening. . Jimbo
Old April 10, 2017   #57
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

.. and we often envy your Californian sun and the freedoms you have
Every country has their own priviledges and disadvantages, some of our legislation might seem very restrictive to Americans (and other foreigners who live and visit here)..
That's the fun and challenge visiting other places and trying to understand the cultural context & history.
Old April 10, 2017   #58
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Somebody says we all are getting older much slowly when we travel a lot

Jimbo, I know most good for eating mushrooms and have been picking them from 6 y.o. So you won't be poisonely dead or hungry here

Some pictures from last August:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9777.jpg (333.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9529.jpg (796.9 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_9519.jpg (404.4 KB, 78 views)

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR

Last edited by Andrey_BY; April 10, 2017 at 01:48 PM.
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017   #59
NarnianGarden
Tomatovillian™

Boletes and Chantarellus! Some of my favorites..
But too often the Boletus/Leccinum species are full of larvae I read somewhere about the small, invisible ones having their cocoons in Boletus mushrooms..
What I like about this one https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craterellus_tubaeformis ..it is later in season and usually never touched by insects (all dead by then)..
When dried and properly stored, they stay edible and delicious for years.

Last edited by NarnianGarden; April 10, 2017 at 03:42 PM.
Old April 10, 2017   #60
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post
Someone should write a book called 100 Heirloom Rutabagas for the American Garden.

Worth
I just checked my 2017 SSE Yearbook and there are only 40 listed, so it won't be me writing that book.

The one grown mostly here where I am and in general the NE is the Gilfeather rutabage,which originated in VT.

Fact is,most grow them for cattle food.

Carolyn