Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old March 21, 2017   #1
RomanX
Tomatovillian™

Default ? re light for month-old seedlings

I did it again! I wound up with more seedlings (tomato and flower species) than my indoor grow lights can raise to plant-out stage! So now I'm trying to figure out HOW I can grow all of them during their second month, before planting outside is possible.

My tomato seedlings spend their second month outside during the day (anywhere from 7 to 8+ hours of sunlight, depending on when I eventually get up and are brought in for an extra 4-5 hour of artificial light. But mature tomato plants NEED only 8 hours of sunlight. . . .

Would the tomato seedlings still grow and thrive with only 8+ hours of sunlight, freeing up my indoor grow lights for that last month before plant out? Or do tomato seedlings require the extra light?? Would this scheme of sunlight / days only stunt them??

RomanX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Sounds like me this year. Growing out under artificial and can fit 430 dixie cups under the lamps. Once I started potting up, I am limited to about 210 3.5" pots which is a little less than what I have growing, but luckily they are in different stages. A few dozen are already reaching my 12" height limit, so they must find a new location "somewhere". This will probably be in my sunroom where they will only receive natural light. Any how, this frees up space under my lights for additional plants
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #3
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I am going to try and put this as short and simple as I can and is it from experience.
Just bring the plants in after the day is done and only if it is going to freeze or get way cold like in the 30's.
Or bring them in anyway it wont matter.
Don't worry about it they will be fine and no they dont need to go back under the lights at all.
In all honesty if the weather is fine during the day I would put all of them out there and be done with the lights.
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

All my plants go out into the greenhouse at 2-3 weeks old, and I don't use supplemental lighting after that point. Sometimes it is cloudy for several days at a time, and they still do fine.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22, 2017   #5
oakley
Tomatovillian™

I have three 4ft LED shop lights that seedlings seem to love. I just run them 24/7 and everybody shares and gets their time. It is a dance but not to bad. The 'ups' in 4" pots are in transparent trays with handles and spent time upstairs in a sunny window if i have a sunny day.

I think if they get some cool temps they will slow down a bit and maybe less light does the same.(?)
You might get some leggy growth but in my experience that does not mater if trenched or planted deep.
I would not stress it. They will do fine. Just do the usual tending...let them dry out, feed sparingly and look for issues.

Easily said as i'm just potting up and see already a space issue,

Last edited by oakley; March 22, 2017 at 11:48 AM.
oakley is offline   Reply With Quote