Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

New to growing your own tomatoes? This is the forum to learn the successful techniques used by seasoned tomato growers. Questions are welcome, too.

Old February 28, 2017   #1
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Default Keeping seeds warm

Our house is chilly at night and it takes forever to germinate seeds.

I once tried putting my seeds in the oven with just the light on, but I think the heat build-up was too hot for them!

I suppose I could buy a heat mat, or try out the plate warmer (which is rather large) or get out the old plug-in heating pad if I can find it.

I usually start my seeds on small squares of damp paper towel in a baggie, so I don't need anything large. Does anyone have any brilliant ideas?

Linda
Labradors2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #2
rhines81
Tomatovillian™

Feel around for some warm small appliances (modem, cable box, refrigerator, etc.) set them on top or just above those making sure there is no condensation drips of course. Take them in the bathroom when you take a hot shower, leave the door shut afterwards which should keep the warm for several hours. Or .. just get a heating pad.
rhines81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #3
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Yeah! I guess that beats stuffing them in my bra

Linda
Old February 28, 2017   #4
NewWestGardener
Tomatovillian™

Do you really stuff them in your bra?
NewWestGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #5
KarenO
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labradors2 View Post
Yeah! I guess that beats stuffing them in my bra

Linda
haha!

You are an awesome gardener and start a lot of seeds. I think you should march right on down to Canadian Tire and buy yourself a heat mat. They are worth it and You deserve it
KarenO
KarenO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #6
dmforcier
Tomatovillian™

Even better than a heat mat, a thermometer. Know what you're dealing with before making decisions.

Also the heat of your bra. (jes sayin')

Stupidity got us into this mess. Why can't it get us out?
- Will Rogers

dmforcier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28, 2017   #7
shatbox
Tomatovillian™

I had some success with the baggie method by putting them on top of the fridge. Took about a week.
shatbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #8
barbamWY
Tomatovillian™

A heat mat is so worth it. I also have an old warming tray meant for keeping food warm and it works also. A soil thermometer tells me if it is too warm.

Last edited by barbamWY; March 1, 2017 at 02:47 PM.
barbamWY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #9
MrBig46
Tomatovillian™

My mother wrapped seeds into wet rag, put them in a foil bag and tucked it under her pillow to the bed where she slept. It worked for tomatoes as well as peppers.
Vladimír

Last edited by MrBig46; March 1, 2017 at 02:16 AM.
MrBig46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #10
PhilaGardener
Tomatovillian™

Vladimír, that sure is sleeping on it!

Linda, do you use fluorescent shop lights to start your seedlings? The ballast in the light housing generates a gentle warmth. I germinate my seeds by setting them on top of the working lights (in a closed plastic box to keep them humid while preventing any moisture from getting near the fixture) and then, when the seedlings start to emerge, I take them out of the box and shift them down under the lights. Works well for me!
PhilaGardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #11
Starlight
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBig46 View Post
My mother wrapped seeds into wet rag, put them in a foil bag and tucked it under her pillow to the bed where she slept. It worked for tomatoes as well as peppers.
Vladimír
Now that's a clever idea.

I have a table top lamp that I remove the shade from and place the baggies of seedlings around. I use the old fashioned 60 watt bulbs and the heat from them is enough to germinate the seeds. I just leave the light on 24/7. Works for me and I don't have to worry about seeds getting too hot and dying.
Starlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #12
henry
Tomatovillian™

Cooler plus hot water in jars, tray and some padding to keep the seeds from direct contact with the jars. I change the water twice a day germination for tomatoes 3 to 5 days most times.
Old March 1, 2017   #13
slugworth
Tomatovillian™

I have an outlet box wired with 2 outlets in series.I buy old food warming trays at goodwill and plug 2 into that so they are on 60v instead of 120v.Food warming trays are way too hot plugged directly into 120v.I also have a box with a lamp dimmer/outlet that I plug the food warming trays into and just dial up the output voltage until the trays are just warm enough.
slugworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2017   #14
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for all the replies.

One year, after I had waited a week with no results, I did indeed stuff the baggie into my bra during the day, and to keep them warm at night, I taped them to the eiderdown in a spot right over my torso! I did that for a few days when hubby was out of town. If he had seen me do it, he would have known that I was out of my mind!!! (Mr Big's idea would be easier! I'd be worried about crushing them!) In desperation, I put them in the oven with just the light on. I really need to get/use a thermometer (thanks DMF).

Karen is right, I can afford a darned grow mat, but it just seems like more fun to improvise - until the seeds croak!

I like Starlight's idea, but need to know specifics.

I have growlights, but it seems like overkill to run the lights with nothing underneath them, just to germinate the seeds on top.

Linda
Old March 1, 2017   #15
Labradors2
Tomatovillian™

Oh I really like Henry's cooler idea!

Very interesting that the plate warmer runs too hot Slugworth. I could put hubby in charge of the plate warmer. Gotta find a good use for a retired electronics engineer.

Linda