Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Old January 4, 2017   #1
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Default BER and Lessons Learned

After stumbling across an old thread here on TV that led me to BER and treating with Epson salts ....Im laughing....I recognize another mistake in my large tomato garden last summer. As the BER increased, I felt guilty that not all the plants had received their planting dose of epson salts. Having had a few science classes, I did question the use of salts... but hey.... the recommends were endless and not one speck of info to counter this supplement. (TV still unknown to me.)

In the old TV thread was a lengthy admonishment from Carolyn....which I read carefully. Not knowing WG, a google search led me to the BEST info on BER. THANK YOU CAROLYN! Have a copy for my files.

Now I understand why that 2016 tomato plot did what it did. Between adding epson salts regularly to most of the plot, and watering always behind and irregular, and a good planting of red current tomatos at one end, I think my garden was the epitome of the BER experience.

Which varieties are less prone to BER?
Black Krim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #2
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

It's widely accepted that roma types get it the worst. I get it on romas, but also on cherry varieties with oblong-shaped fruit. Before I upgraded my soil, I used to get it in low areas of the high tunnel that stayed too wet. Some of my Chinese varieties like Peiping Chieh really prefer to be dry-farmed. They get BER if I put them on the drip irrigation with everything else.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2017   #3
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Very interesting.

For the novice grower: For paste tomatoes avoid the romas; use cherry shaped cherry tomatos and skip the Chinese varieties------

This begs the question, which tomatos do great on the drip???
Old January 4, 2017   #4
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

If you read that a variety is crack-prone, you would want to plant it in its own separate zone on the irrigation, so you can shut it off while the rest of your plants get water. Plus, for anyone growing in a high tunnel, those plants will get watered even more frequently, which is just part of a high tunnel environment. One of my favorite Chinese types is Huang Se Chieh, which is a pale yellow, almost white, medium sized tomato. Last year I put a plant in the high tunnel, and I don't think I ate a single fruit because they all cracked so badly.
Old January 4, 2017   #5
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Are these all romas??

(tomatogrowers.com)

san marzano
rocky

Better options? grandma marys paste, sausage? which others?
Old January 4, 2017   #6
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

I hardly grow paste tomatoes, so other people here can answer your question better.

I don't think I've ever gotten BER on a heart-shaped variety. If I was growing for sauce and worried about BER, I would probably grow an oxheart type.
Old January 4, 2017   #7
adewilliams
Tomatovillian™

Black Krim, do you mind linking to that thread? I tried to search for it, bit couldn't find it. Most of Green Zebra tomatoes got BER last year, even when my other varieties didn't. I'd love to learn more about it.
adewilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2017   #8
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by adewilliams View Post
Black Krim, do you mind linking to that thread? I tried to search for it, bit couldn't find it. Most of Green Zebra tomatoes got BER last year, even when my other varieties didn't. I'd love to learn more about it.
Here you go.

http://www.webgrower.com/information/carolyn_ber.html

My red currants werent bothered at all by the BER. While I didnt like the crunchy texture, they were very reliable in the one year I grew them.
Old January 5, 2017   #9
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
I hardly grow paste tomatoes, so other people here can answer your question better.

I don't think I've ever gotten BER on a heart-shaped variety. If I was growing for sauce and worried about BER, I would probably grow an oxheart type.
I started thinking the same thing!!
Old January 5, 2017   #10
Black Krim
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
If you read that a variety is crack-prone, you would want to plant it in its own separate zone on the irrigation, so you can shut it off while the rest of your plants get water. Plus, for anyone growing in a high tunnel, those plants will get watered even more frequently, which is just part of a high tunnel environment. One of my favorite Chinese types is Huang Se Chieh, which is a pale yellow, almost white, medium sized tomato. Last year I put a plant in the high tunnel, and I don't think I ate a single fruit because they all cracked so badly.
Sorry for late reply. Missed this post.

Glad to hear of other's experiences to mitigate my own growing issues..Im sure to make enough mistakes as it is. lol

I have been avoiding any varieties listed for greenhouses as I suspect this environment is very different than field growing---just guessing as why else specifically mention in the seed catalogs that bit of data.