Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old April 2, 2017   #31
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks Patti! We've got a lot of new to us varieties as well as some favorites. Doing a lot of side-by-side of varieties that are similar. I'm also excited to try Daniel Burson this year.

On the counter are Sunset Flavor Bombs. I like them a good deal, especially for store bought tomatoes. They are quite flavorful, rather tart, nice tomato flavor and a hint of sweetness. Texture is juicy and kinda crunchy. They keep on the counter well. Sold on the truss, so either the truss ripens uniformly or the shelf is quite long. I saved some seeds and may try them some year but not this year.
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 7, 2017   #32
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

April 7, 2017: Will be sowing spinach, peas and radish seeds!

The lettuce, broccoli, kale and onions are in the cold frame. Will be plant those out in a week or two.

Tomato seeds should start poking up this weekend.
Old April 8, 2017   #33
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

These are my Dwarf Project seedlings -- Adelaide Festival, Firebird Sweet, Summertime Green, Tasmanian Chocolate, and two from the developing "Teensy" family. (They're not actually yellowing in the middle row; the plant light was on when I took the photo.) Super excited!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dwarf tomatoes 2017.jpg (506.8 KB, 265 views)
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9, 2017   #34
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Great looking plants! About 1/2 my varieties have started poking up in the last 24 hours! Always exciting to see tomatoes poking up!
Old April 12, 2017   #35
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Soil temps in our raised beds have warmed nicely and the lows are looking favorable, so out went cool season transplants. Clockwise, from upper left: lettuce, broccoli and kale, fall planted garlic, and onions. We sowed spinach, peas, and radishes last Friday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC4438E6-6813-434F-ABC9-38CC14C8A9E4.jpg (741.0 KB, 233 views)
Old April 16, 2017   #36
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Always exciting to see the first asparagus popping up!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8498.jpg (453.7 KB, 213 views)
Old April 21, 2017   #37
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

Love seeing all these pictures...it's my favorite time of year, by far. Early Girl -- showing interesting heart-shape early on. Had a hail storm if you can tell in some of the foliage. Magnus, also, coming along very nicely -- has set about 10 small fruit, thus far. Tiger Tom showing some of its stripes...setting lots of fruit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0072.jpg (352.6 KB, 191 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0074.jpg (431.3 KB, 189 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0075.jpg (237.0 KB, 192 views)
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2017   #38
WLeClair
Tomatovillian™

These look great! Have you grown dwarfs before? I'm growing 6 different ones this year and I've had no fruit set on any yet. Wondering if my climate is just not conducive to setting fruit with the slow growth and temps warming so fast. Keep us posted...I'm strongly considering Tasmanian Chocolate for a trial run next year. Take care.
WLeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22, 2017   #39
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Pepper seedlings found their way up to the patio door this morning. I'll leave them here to get used to sunlight for a few days before they go out to cold frame where they'll spend the next 3 weeks before planting out assuming the weather behaves.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8526.JPG (212.0 KB, 182 views)
Old April 22, 2017   #40
wildcat62
Tomatovillian™

They look great
wildcat62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #41
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! The peppers and first batch of tomatoes are in the cold frame. Haven't needed the cold frame the past few days but really will the next 4 as we are expecting clouds, rain 50s for highs and upper 30s for lows.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8570.JPG (196.9 KB, 164 views)
Old April 26, 2017   #42
Spartanburg123
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeClair View Post
Love seeing all these pictures...it's my favorite time of year, by far. Early Girl -- showing interesting heart-shape early on. Had a hail storm if you can tell in some of the foliage. Magnus, also, coming along very nicely -- has set about 10 small fruit, thus far. Tiger Tom showing some of its stripes...setting lots of fruit.
Interesting heart shape on the Early Girls! I wonder if it's just environmental. See if all of them look like that, and perhaps grow out next year. I know it's a hybrid, so you will likely get all kinds of variation, but who knows! It's my wife's favorite tomato- she likes 'em tart!

Darin
Spartanburg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26, 2017   #43
HudsonValley
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLeClair View Post
These look great! Have you grown dwarfs before? I'm growing 6 different ones this year and I've had no fruit set on any yet. Wondering if my climate is just not conducive to setting fruit with the slow growth and temps warming so fast. Keep us posted...I'm strongly considering Tasmanian Chocolate for a trial run next year. Take care.
I've only grown Adelaide Festival, but remember from last year that they took quite a bit longer (2 weeks+) than the "advertised" DTM to set fruit and ripen. They were worth the wait! Among this year's seedlings Tasmanian Chocolate seems to be a much taller dwarf than Adelaide Festival, which maxed out at a height of about 3 feet. Firebird Sweet also seems to be really tall. I really wish it would warm up here, so these bigger dwarfs could go out... They're nearing a foot in height, and I've had to pot them up twice.
HudsonValley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017   #44
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Default Plant out time!!

The last two days was plant out time! Here are a few pictures, felt great to get another year into the ground and buckets!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A4DA6DE0-1DA9-4B82-BDF8-9ACDF21427D2.jpg (729.3 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 0FE6E10B-B8B0-4792-8E00-9C52F93B597D.jpg (678.9 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg 250627B2-03B6-41C6-8988-9604DD2AF29D.jpg (737.2 KB, 125 views)
Old May 13, 2017   #45
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Everything looks fantastic.
Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote