Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Share your favorite photos with us here. Instructions on how to post them can be found in the first post within.

Old January 8, 2016   #16
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootgardener View Post
Looking good..I wish the tv screen had a scratch n sniff for this. I love to rub my fingers between the tomato leaves to get a whiff of that lovely scent..Especially after a long winter.

Ginny
I just did that and they smell great!
jmsieglaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #17
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

So neat! These will be grown entirely indoors?

Ginny

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8, 2016   #18
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiishergurl View Post
So neat! These will be grown entirely indoors?
100%! After they get about 3 sets of true leaves I'll transplant them into the yellow container and see how they do. My outdoor 2016 tomato sowing won't happen until very late March/April 1.
Old January 9, 2016   #19
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

While not a terribly exciting photo but we sowed onion seeds tonight. Also sowed some celery, not having grown it before we're sowing some now and another two cells in mid February and see which works better for our plant out time. Nothing like sowing the first seeds for the outdoor garden, especially with our first below zero weather of the year on the way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (281.5 KB, 276 views)
Old January 12, 2016   #20
Fiishergurl
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmsieglaff View Post
While not a terribly exciting photo but we sowed onion seeds tonight. Also sowed some celery, not having grown it before we're sowing some now and another two cells in mid February and see which works better for our plant out time. Nothing like sowing the first seeds for the outdoor garden, especially with our first below zero weather of the year on the way.
I love it! So excited for the all the new photos that will be coming along soon.

Ginny
Fiishergurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2016   #21
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Your making me jealous and missing my last house where I had a grow bench and lights in my basement. In a couple of weeks it will be time for your Cole crops.

Keep us posted with all you have going on.
Old January 16, 2016   #22
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

The Pinocchio Orange little tomatoes went into their permanent location today. In hindsight maybe we should have started 4 instead of 2--time will tell. The onions are also poking through today!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4887.JPG (257.4 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4888.JPG (177.5 KB, 240 views)
Old January 16, 2016   #23
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Sweet babies.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2016   #24
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Thanks! A higher quality picture, I wonder what height these guys will end up flowering at?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (192.8 KB, 228 views)
Old January 19, 2016   #25
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

I *think* my outdoor grow list is complete. It will look something like this (all photos copyright by their respective owners). Last year we tried a lot of black tomatoes, this year, we're trying a lot of cherries. I will always grow a lot of cherries because we're big fans and eat a ton of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slide1.jpg (164.2 KB, 215 views)
Old January 19, 2016   #26
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I like the collage.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2016   #27
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Which was your favorite black tomato last year? Which ones did you grow?
Old January 19, 2016   #28
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

We had a rough year in 2015 with Septoria, so I'm hesitant to draw any firm conclusions and even on top of that, it is only 1 year. So some plants were pulled before we got more than a few ripe fruits, while others handled the pruning/spraying better and recovered and provided more fruits. I've grown Black Krim for a number of years and wanted to try other black tomatoes. A few I wanted to grow last year but didn't make the cut and I'll grow those some time in the future.

We grew: Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Mikado Black, Margaret Curtain, Pink Berkley Tie Dye, Carbon Copy.

Results: All tomatoes grown had very good to excellent flavor. Mikado black was easily the most susceptible to Septoria and for that reason I don't think I'd grow it again. Black Krim and Carbon Copy had the highest tolerance. I liked Margaret Curtain and Pink Berkley Tie Dye, then Cherokee Purple. But again I don't want to draw firm conclusions based on last year's conditions. Nothing I grew last year kicked Black Krim out of its place, but I will do another black year sometime down the road. I also enjoyed Carbon Copy quite a bit, it is a large cherry. And at our house we're always looking for more cherries, so it will be back. My only knock on it was at the end of the year it suffered from a lot of splitting and I'm not sure why as it wasn't overly wet, perhaps it was soaking up water from roots that grew under the green beans that got watered more--I'll see if that issue returns in 2016.
Old January 19, 2016   #29
MissS
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your reply. I grow a few blacks each year. I try a couple new ones each season. My favorites here are Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Daniel Burson, Black Cherry and Pink Berkley Tie Dye. I seldom grow PBTD just because of the short shelf life. Krim is not grown each season either due to the wide vary in taste from year to year.
Old January 19, 2016   #30
jmsieglaff
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissS View Post
Thanks for your reply. I grow a few blacks each year. I try a couple new ones each season. My favorites here are Black Krim, Cherokee Purple, Daniel Burson, Black Cherry and Pink Berkley Tie Dye. I seldom grow PBTD just because of the short shelf life. Krim is not grown each season either due to the wide vary in taste from year to year.
I'll have to look into Daniel Burson some more. I really enjoy the Black Krim, although what Carolyn writes in her book regarding Noire De Crimee, I'm intrigued enough that I ordered seeds and will grow one next to my Black Krim in 2017. Have you tried Noire De Crimee?