Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion about canning and dehydrating tomatoes and other garden vegetables and fruits. DISCLAIMER: SOME RECIPES MAY NOT COMPLY WITH CURRENT FOOD SAFETY GUIDELINES - FOLLOW AT YOUR OWN RISK

Old December 24, 2015   #46
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

I had to get him to close his eyes to eat it.

Worth
Worth1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2015   #47
coronabarb
Tomatoville® Recipe Keeper

Carolyn, we are fortunate at our market to have a fellow originally from Mexico who makes tamales. The smell wafting through the market is so enticing, especially since we are indoors now. Most of the vendors buy one with toppings to eat around noon or so.
Old December 24, 2015   #48
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Barb, I am amazed at the difference from one state to the next for vendor food laws. I think we need to have logical and reasonable laws to keep people safe... but they just make no sense what they are from state to state. OR the licence is so prohibitive to attend a small market that vendors are unable to support the small markets . Eggs are a great example here. You have to ASK for a donation or have a compressor cooler and a license that is about 200.00 to sell for the markets and be checked by the health dept at the site. fresh/cooked food vendors are like that also, but the license is only good for a 1 or 2 week duration. I went to Connecticut last year and they had fresh fish on ice, milk in crates out of a cooler, salads in a jar, all kinds of great things that people would want at a market. They had a very small town that this was being held at and there were about 60 vendors there on a REGULAR basis. obviously they aren't nearly as restricted with regulation as some of us are and I think ours isn't bad for some things, but it could be better. We can't sell pumpkin rolls..." the cream cheese might present a health hazard." good grief... who keeps their pumpkin rolls cold until they are served and immediately afterwards? I have NEVER gotten sick on "warm" cream cheese in my sugar laden pumpkin roll. I can't take the eggs I gathered this morning to my market to sell. they aren't refrigerated. we never refrigerated the eggs growing up. NEVER.

Eat a tamale for me and everyone else who can't enjoy them. It sounds fabulous.

We just need logics.
Old December 30, 2015   #49
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I went ahead and canned some of the deer I got a couple days back. I printed out that backwoods page mentioned and it makes pretty good sense. I froze the loins and neck, and we kept some fresh, but the shoulders and most of the hindquarters were canned. I canned 10 qt of venison stew w/ various broths and 3 qt of nice steak strips in beef bouillion broth. Both were raw meat and vegetables into hot jars and heated broth.

We like the taste. I had never had canned deer before. The stew is really nice. The plain meat reminds me of canned salmon. I could definitely eat that cold on the tailgate while out hunting. I don't eat a lot of canned meat, but the salt and texture seems similar and I think that is what I notice.

Next time I may try frying it off halfway before canning to see the difference. I prefer the simplicity of cold packing, though. I think raw pack with small chunks and sausage spices, minus the sage, is in order next time as well.
JRinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2015   #50
clkeiper
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
I went ahead and canned some of the deer I got a couple days back. I printed out that backwoods page mentioned and it makes pretty good sense. I froze the loins and neck, and we kept some fresh, but the shoulders and most of the hindquarters were canned. I canned 10 qt of venison stew w/ various broths and 3 qt of nice steak strips in beef bouillion broth. Both were raw meat and vegetables into hot jars and heated broth.

We like the taste. I had never had canned deer before. The stew is really nice. The plain meat reminds me of canned salmon. I could definitely eat that cold on the tailgate while out hunting. I don't eat a lot of canned meat, but the salt and texture seems similar and I think that is what I notice.

Next time I may try frying it off halfway before canning to see the difference. I prefer the simplicity of cold packing, though. I think raw pack with small chunks and sausage spices, minus the sage, is in order next time as well.
Good Job! Our deer season this weekend was a total bust! raining, windy and cold both days. We didn't get anymore.
Old December 30, 2015   #51
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Glad to hear the good news about your canning.
Nope deer stay hunkered down when it is windy.
The reason is they cant hear or see predators so they hide.
You have to almost walk up on them to make them move.
They are very smart animals.
Worth
Old December 31, 2015   #52
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

Where I live, flintlock season (that's a PA thing I guess) is open now through most of January. Archery is open too. We'll probably get some more yet. There are a lot of deer here due to the large % of small parcel, posted land.

Today when we took a break from pheasant hunting we split a can of that stew w/ beef boullion broth. I just opened and stirred and poured cold into bowls. I have to say it is pretty good and satisfying. Canning seems a good option to have when freezer space is short. It may be reason enough to get some wide mouthed jars and lids.

Tonight I charcoal grilled a big marinated chunk of round that was still fresh in the fridge. It is a very strange feeling to be able to grill outside in a T shirt at 7 pm on Dec. 31st. Looks like it will be more seasonable the next few days.
Old December 31, 2015   #53
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRinPA View Post
Where I live, flintlock season (that's a PA thing I guess) is open now through most of January. Archery is open too.

In Mass it's often called "muzzleloader season," but officially it's Primitive Firearms Season (which does include archery). Today was the last day for deer.

At the beginning of the month we spent a long weekend at the Bald Eagle State Park. We knew it was hunting season so we chose to stay the heck off the hiking trails all day Saturday. We couldn't believe how many pick up trucks we saw parked along the road.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2015   #54
JRinPA
Tomatovillian™

I haven't been to bald eagle since I was at PSU. We used to see lot of bears on the off road trails. I rode a dual sport back then. I can't imagine riding those trails now. I don't heal as quickly nowadays.

You were there during rifle season - the regular two week season that ends on the second Saturday in December. There are somewhere around a million hunters in PA and many are out on those Saturdays. Up in that area, a lot of groups still drive deer in groups up to 25. It can get busy, when deer break back across the drivers. I would not venture out either unless I was hunting.
Old January 1, 2016   #55
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

The day we arrived, the night clerk at the inn had killed both a deer and a bear from the same stand minutes apart (both were legal kills). He was so excited to learn my husband and I were okay with hunting and that he could share the story.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #56
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father'sDaughter View Post
The day we arrived, the night clerk at the inn had killed both a deer and a bear from the same stand minutes apart (both were legal kills). He was so excited to learn my husband and I were okay with hunting and that he could share the story.
You have to be careful these days not to offend anyone even if what you are doing is your right like hunting.
I dread the day someone throws ink on my beaver fur hat.

As for the deer one of my neighbors lets their dog out and it barks at everything all day long.
My neighbor lady doesn't like it because it runs the deer off.
These deer are going to be coming through my garden to get to the deer feeder she has out for them.

Worth
Old January 1, 2016   #57
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth1 View Post

Here is an example of over kill on a meat grinder for most people.
This guy went out and bought a #42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aqzms7D3Mk
I just took a look at the sausage maker website that you linked to earlier in the thread and saw this

http://www.sausagemaker.com/Pro-Cut-...-p/15-1117.htm

3HP, grinds 3,300 pounds per hour! for only $2.8K.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #58
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
I just took a look at the sausage maker website that you linked to earlier in the thread and saw this

http://www.sausagemaker.com/Pro-Cut-...-p/15-1117.htm

3HP, grinds 3,300 pounds per hour! for only $2.8K.
Mine only grinds 550 pounds per hour.
That thing looks like it has a catch shield in the front to keep the meat from flying across the room.

Here is mine.
http://www.sausagemaker.com/22-Elect...-p/15-1113.htm
Old January 1, 2016   #59
taboule
Tomatovillian™

Very nice and big enough. Clean lines and SS.

I need to stop looking at the expensive gear they carry at these websites.
taboule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2016   #60
Worth1
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by taboule View Post
Very nice and big enough. Clean lines and SS.

I need to stop looking at the expensive gear they carry at these websites.
Over all I have been very happy with the grinder.
One thing I like is it will go in reverse and the cord plugs into the back of the grinder so the cord can be removed.
It isn't loud like some are and the motor doesn't bog down no matter how fast you put meat in it.
I almost never use the pusher.
Speaking of loud I heard on line people complaining about the KitchenAid pro mixer being loud.
Mine was for a small amount of time then the gears broke in and it quieted right up.

Worth