Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

A garden is only as good as the ground that it's planted in. Discussion forum for the many ways to improve the soil where we plant our gardens.

Old May 1, 2014   #1
oldasrocks
Tomatovillian™

Default Bluegills for fertilizer?

Our pond is badly overstocked with bluegill to the point all we catch is 2 to 3 inch fish. The bass and catfish are evidently not eating enough. I started using live traps to catch them and am composting about 35 fish a day.

We've all read about the Indians supposedly using fish for fertilizer. Has anyone else done this? Should I keep a separate compost pile or just mix them in with everything else?
oldasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #2
PaulF
Tomatovillian™

I would be fearful of attracting skunks and raccoons and maybe rats to the compost pile. Composting along with other organics like vegetable matter probably be quite a compost pile. Maybe a little stinky though. From what I understand it is best to put the fish parts into the core of a compost pile that is already up to temperature and that will eliminate most of the odor and the pest attraction.

All told, fish compost is a good source of nitrogen if composted correctly. Undercooked fish will release a lot of ammonia into the pile, so be sure your pile is plenty hot.
Old May 1, 2014   #3
Cole_Robbie
Tomatovillian™

The first year I had my greenhouse, I used a horse trough of bluegill for my water. Plants love fish water. That is probably the best use for live fish.
Cole_Robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #4
oldasrocks
Tomatovillian™

Paul, The main compost pile consists of truckloads of fresh horse manure and one dump truck load of brewers whey. (sp) so rotten fish would actually be an improvement. ha. For years I've been praying for a decent source of manure for our clay,rock soil. Now I have too much and will be adding an average of a truckload a week from a horse stable. That's where I'll be burying the fish. It should be plenty hot.

I keep the house compost in a separate pile. Maybe I should core a few fish into this pile to add nitrogen to the brew. This bin is a concrete sheep stock tank about 5 ft in diameter
Old May 1, 2014   #5
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

I would just toss them in the compost whole, critters or not
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #6
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

My parents, who came from the "old country" Ukraine to be exact, dug a hole, buried them and planted right on top. They did it there, being Ukraine, and they did it here, being Cleveland. We never had a problem with varmints, cat, dogs or enything else digging them up.

I don't follow the same practice because I don't fish.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #7
rags57078
Tomatovillian™

I put the straight in the garden and the compost pile , only had a digger once in the compost pile
rags57078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1, 2014   #8
oldasrocks
Tomatovillian™

OK, I'll plant some under the peppers as I plant them and see if the peppers taste fishy or not. Actually it may be a good time to do a test. I'll mark some plants with the fish underneath and keep track on how they do. The soil in each container is exactly the same and all watered with drip irrigation so should have good control on results. I'll use a couple containers for tomatoes doing the same.

neoguy do you want me to mail you some fish?

Last edited by oldasrocks; May 1, 2014 at 09:21 PM. Reason: addition
Old May 2, 2014   #9
neoguy
Tomatovillian™

LOL, thanks for the offer but I'll pass, I don't think the postal carrier would be too happy.

Last edited by neoguy; May 2, 2014 at 08:28 AM.
neoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2014   #10
Redbaron
Tomatovillian™

I have used bluegill heads and I have used shad whole. Just bury them deep enough..about a foot or so...and fill the hole back in....then plant away. It works great.

AKA The Redbaron

"Permaculture is a philosophy of working with, rather than against nature; of protracted & thoughtful observation rather than protracted & thoughtless labour; & of looking at plants & animals in all their functions, rather than treating any area as a single-product system."
Bill Mollison
co-founder of permaculture
Redbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 31, 2014   #11
wally mcgee
Tomatovillian™

Default fish emulsion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron View Post
I have used bluegill heads and I have used shad whole. Just bury them deep enough..about a foot or so...and fill the hole back in....then plant away. It works great.
I made fish emulsion last year using about 5 bluegill. I put the fish, compost, water, and a jar of black molasis in a 5 gallon bucket with a vent hole drilled in the lid. I put a screen over the bucket before putting the lid on to keep bugs out, and buried 1/2 of the bucket in the garden to keep the critters from knocking it over and let it set a couple months. When it was done I strained it into milk cartons. I got about 1&1/2 gallons. The stuff doesn't smell the best but everything I use it on loves it. It works every bit as good as the store bought emulsion for the price of the molasis.

I also bury bluegill under my tomato, cucumbers, and pepper plants.:
Old June 8, 2014   #12
Stainless
Tomatovillian™

I put a catfish carcass in the pot on the left earlier this spring after a fishing trip. Wasn't planning on planting anything in it, just figured I could use the soil next year. I said what the heck and threw a few pole bean seeds in there just to see what happened.

As you can see.. It's noticeably greener. Will see how it produces compared to the others beside it.
Stainless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #13
mensplace
Tomatovillian™

I can't believe that nobody has suggested a BASS O'MATIC. Mmmm GOOD.
mensplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #14
Stvrob
Tomatovillian™

No need for a separate kitchen appliance when my wife's blender works just fine. Counter space is limited.
Stvrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9, 2014   #15
ramapojoe
Tomatovillian™

i used to put all my fish carcases in a deep hole under the plants. 10lb bluefish were great. always dug at least two feet then put dirt, lime and more dirt. i think the lime helps with keeping the smell down for critters and my soil needs lime anyway.
ramapojoe is offline   Reply With Quote