Tomatoville® Gardening Forums

Notices

Information and discussion regarding garden diseases, insects and other unwelcome critters.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 26, 2019   #1
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Default Almost pest free. For how long?

This has been an unusual spring here this year. We were late getting started due to some late cool weather and not long after planting the first summer crops in the ground the rain almost totally stopped. Along with extremely dry conditions we have also been having one of, if not the hottest May ever. With these dry conditions have come less pressure from the usual foliage diseases but best of all has been a real lack of the usual suspects other than one in the pest category. So far with twice daily inspections I have seen and disposed of one stinkbug, three leaf footed bugs and one squash bug. I did have to use some Sevin to get rid of thousands of those tiny foliage worms that showed up two days after our only good rain this spring. With days getting to or near 100 for the past few weeks and with fairly high humidity considering how dry it is I don't see how this can last.

I am about ready for a few days of rain even if I have to start spraying for pests and diseases because this constant watering with city water is really expensive and eventually the treated water will affect the plants negatively.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote